• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it safe?

bjay

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2009
Aloha state HI
Guys i have a quick question SAFETY matter..yesterday i baught 2lb of varget in a lb container when i open my old varget i still have maybe about 200grain left inside when i compare my new varget and my left over, my left over is a litle darker than the new batch i figured they both varget anyway so i mixed it to minimize room on my cabinet.and i realized after what if this two powder has two diff burn rate? Dang!!! Ive been shooting good on these powders.should i use it or not! I saw it on a lot of forum it dont matter...so i wanna hear from the SH experts.. Thnx guys

Re: Is it safe?

If you are absolutely certain they are both Varget you should be just fine.

Yes i am 110% sure both vargets...but why is one a litle darker? Ive been shooting one hole 100yd inch n half on 300 yd(best)does it effect performance?or color dont matter just as long burn the way...I already shoked the whole powder to mix it evenly..

as to why its darker, i have no idea....probably has something to do with the chemistry and all that stuff that i never paid attention to. But on a safety standpoint, its perfectly fine to shoot.

bjay,
I suspect the older powder has drawn a bit of moisture. If so it darken. It will only effect charge weight, not burn rate. I would just make sure thourghly mixed so in effect you will have your own lot. Pour back and forth a few times. Blend it and it will be fine. Sometimes if you leave it open, a volumetric measure will throw a heavier charge/same volume type thing, but it will not effect the velocity. You will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are absolutely certain they are both Varget you should be just fine. </div></div>

+1...

Mix it up good and you'll be fine.

Will do.... Thnx guys!!!!! As always SH still the best source for all doubts thnx again !!!!!

If it's 2 one pound vargets and you mixed the 200 grains (about 3%)into one of them than they may burn slightly different. If you have one larger can I'd mix them both (1 lb + 1 lb with 200 gns old) it to even out the difference. If this is over kill will one of the more experienced guys let me know?

I do it all the time. As a batch of powder starts running low, I ALWAYS blend it with the new batch.

Ask yourself this. Although the manufacturer's caution us to basically start low and re-develop a new load with every batch of new powder-due to potential variances in burn rate-how many of us actually do it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do it all the time. As a batch of powder starts running low, I ALWAYS blend it with the new batch.

Ask yourself this. Although the manufacturer's caution us to basically start low and re-develop a new load with every batch of new powder-due to potential variances in burn rate-how many of us actually do it?</div></div>
+1 ive been hearing it a lot but i wanted to make sure thnx..i just done shaking the powderfor a better blend im gonna load later on part im just tumbling my brass ill shoot them by sunday ill let you guys know if any changes on burning rate, velocity along with accuracy..im expecting no diff from my old groups result

Perhaps the color difference is due to oxidation. In any case I do the same thing with my powder when an old batch is runnung low.