• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it the end of an era?

Tactical_Tom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2009
PA, Bradford
Between the uprisings in the Middle East and now Osama’s dead it seems to me like the War on Terror era may be ending. Iraq will be over so, and Afghanistan will end in a few years as well. The issues debated by politicians have already changed and there seems to be a consensus developing about how ground forces will be used in the future. Islamic extremist have also seemed to some degree abandoned suicide attacks and are now occupied by disputes within their own counties.

Re: Is it the end of an era?

No I don't think so. These guys still hate us maybe more now. And we (I) hate them right back. Glad to see the SOB dead but that don't end it.

Yes and no, I think the powers that be will declare victory, pull the military out of the middle east within the next year, hi five each other, and suck each others dicks. The wack-jobs in that part of the world are going to kill each other for a long time to come.

Jihad of some sort has been going on for 1400 years, so why would one idiots death stop that?

I don’t see us pulling out of Afghanistan for years to come. This will not change the situation in the Middle East at all and in the short-term may even inflame some of the Sunni extremists especially Al-Awaki in Yemen. The overall problem has not changed as in a clash of civilizations. The issues that OBL was upset about have not changed and that resonates with lots of Muslims around the world. This is a continuation of the fight between the West and the Muslim world.

The police killed Bonnie and Clyde, did that end people trying to rob banks?

Read the book titled "1000 YEARS FOR REVENGE" by Peter Lance, and answer for yourself. We are in for a long fight! NEXT!

I am not sure the Japan/Germany analogy is a good one. For one thing neither of those counties has a large eliminate which supports violently forcing out the “invaders”. If either country really wants us out I think we would leave. Both counties have legitimate reasons for allying with the US which are in the counties interest not just the interest of the leaders staying alive.

There was an era which had an elevated leave of bank robberies, it ended.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes and no, I think the powers that be will declare victory, pull the military out of the middle east within the next year, hi five each other, and suck each others dicks. The wack-jobs in that part of the world are going to kill each other for a long time to come. </div></div>

Exactly what he said, the "War on Terror" will never end, it is something that has been around for a long time and it will continue for a long time, will it change with time? Yes, everything changes with time.

The way I see it the War on Terror involves openly using military force against suspected or perceived terrorist threats and then openly deploying forces to said counties to consolidated gains. Going back to how we dealt with the issue before 9/11 by using covert action and law enforcement would constitute an end in my mind.

In some ways it would have been better for OBL to have died choking on a date, now he's a martyr for the cause.

Yeah, i would have almost rather seen him die of old age then be a martyr and give obama the credit.

Regardless, you're still going to have to remove your shoes before you can board a commercial airliner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical_Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure the Japan/Germany analogy is a good one. For one thing neither of those counties has a large eliminate which supports violently forcing out the “invaders”. If either country really wants us out I think we would leave. Both counties have legitimate reasons for allying with the US which are in the counties interest not just the interest of the leaders staying alive.

</div></div>

I was thinking long term in the sense that we will forever have bases in Afghan and Iraq just as we do in Germany and Japan. There is no way in hell we can/will leave Afghan/Iraq voluntarily. Even if the region became 'peaceful' (haha) we have too much vested interest to ever leave. Remember the real reason for being there is not some quest for UBL, he was just an excuse to get there which is why killing him isn't a big deal in the broader sense. If we were really there for him we'll see our troops packing up today and on ships next week (but we won't 'cus we're there for the long haul).

It just seems to me that that line of thinking is based on the idea that if we stay long enough the locals will quit down and except our presence. If that did happen then I agree with you we would stay, but I have my doubts that it will happen.

OBL may be dead, but radical Islam is not. Until radicalized Islam is dead the global war on terrorrism will never be finished. In the 80's we had the Commies. We have had the Radical Islamics since then as well, but none were very interested in it until the fuckers blew up our Marines, and not even the try at the WTC in '81 got anyone interested enough. It took 20 years, and over 3k dead to make this country think and finally act.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OBL may be dead, but radical Islam is not. Until radicalized Islam is dead the global war on terrorrism will never be finished. In the 80's we had the Commies. We have had the Radical Islamics since then as well, but none were very interested in it until the fuckers blew up our Marines, and not even the try at the WTC in '81 got anyone interested enough. It took 20 years, and over 3k dead to make this country think and finally act.</div></div>

Just to clarify, WTC attempt was 1993. The second tower was barely finished in '81. Either way, I agree with you that it continues from here. These freaks will battle till judgement day and trumpets sound.

"Even if the region became 'peaceful' (haha) we have too much vested interest to ever leave. Remember the real reason for being there is not some quest for UBL, he was just an excuse to get there which is why killing him isn't a big deal in the broader sense. If we were really there for him we'll see our troops packing up today and on ships next week (but we won't 'cus we're there for the long haul)". High Binder
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-family: 'Arial Black'">^^^ This ^^^</span></span>

"Islamic extremist have also seemed to some degree abandoned suicide attacks and are now occupied by disputes within their own counties". Tactical_Tom So,they changed one of their tactics, they will evolve and mutate. How many non infidels are studying at Universities around the globe as we speak? How are these new Doctors,Chemists,and Engineers going to use their knowledge? It ain't over Man!

Iraq and Afghanistan is just the bread on our sandwich, the meat(Iran) lies in the middle.

Also, bank robbers of today don't need a gun and getaway car, with a computer and the stroke of a keyboard they can sit in the AC and rob more than Bonnie and Clyde ever stole. What is an accurate statistic of computer theft? My bank was bought out twice within a six month period last year, the second time, my checking account was gone within the first week. Guess were that money went? Try Dubai airways tickets, and a bunch of other middle eastern shit! Any of that money get funneled to people wanting to do harm to the US?

Well I think it is possible that the decrease in suicide attacks indicates that radical Islamist have become more cautious at the very least.
As for electronic theft, I think it’s hard in my mind to equate a fundamentally violent crime with a non-violent one where the losses are absorbed by insurance and distributed to society as a whole. It is obviously a crime but the actual impact on society is very similar to many non-crimes like what the fed is doing by printing money or what wall street fund manages do when they speculate on commodity prices. If Terrorism ever becomes a non-violent electronic crime it will no longer be Terrorism.

"If Terrorism ever becomes a non-violent electron crime it will no longer be Terrorism".Tactical_Tom Really, tell that to the scientists & military personnel resposible for the "peaceful" Iranian nuclear program. I'm sure that non-violent computer worm, viruse that Israel?engineered did just as much damage as cruise missles, maybe more. How much does our Defense Dept. spend on our military preventing(non-violent) cyber attacks?

How many times have we killed Al Qaeda's #2 man, four maybe five times?

Think of the game Whac-A-Mole.
wink.gif
It ain't over!

I don’t think Stuxnet qualifies as a non-violent electron crime. It damaged real physical property it was an act of violence. There was a real possibility that it could have killed or injured someone. There is a huge distinction.

I think it will be moving from foreign soil onto our own in much less collaberative methods. With the govt. welcoming muslim extremists into our own country with open arms it's only a matter of time before we are facing what Israel faces on a daily basis.

I am not sure why no one is addressing the effects of the Arab spring. It is a far bigger and more important event than Osama’s death. Human rights and democracy seem to be a defining characteristic of what is happening now in the Middle East. Most of the counties have experienced revolution in the last 2 years including Iran. Even if the extremist win which seems unlikely right now, I think they are going to be occupied with their own internal disputes for a long time. A lot of people didn’t recognize 1989 as the start of a new era right way but it was. I think in 2-4 years we will look back at 2011 similarly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cap-Kilo66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mexico drug cartels next? </div></div>
^^^scary dudes^^^^

Their motivation isn't 72 virgins in heaven either.

We will never end the "war on terror" as its unwinnable.

See thats the great thing about it. That and the "war on drugs".

Two completely unwinnable wars that serve only to keep the wheels of the war machine turning and pad the pockets of a select few rich people at the expense of the people of this country.

"Terrorism" and "drugs" have been around since the beginning of mankind, and will remain until we kill ourselves off.

I have a prediction of the US's next unwinnable war to pad their pockets and keep bankrupting the citizens...

"The war on oxygen"

Seems about right.