• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is it worth suppressing .17HMR?

VYD

Ambush Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Houston, TX
I know it will still bark bun not as much. How much is "<span style="font-style: italic">not much</span>"? The only place I see that makes .17HMR cans is Gemtech, unless I am looking at the wrong places. Who else makes .17HMR suppressors btw? Any of you shoot these pills suppressed? Do you find that your hunting day is better overall due to a suppressed rimfire?
Thanks bunch.

Re: Is it worth suppressing .17HMR?

Any .22 can rated for .22 magnum should do. The YHM mite SS is rated for 22mag/17HMR and is what I have coming soon. I went ahead and shortened my 17 barrel to 20" and threaded it.

I would buy a 22 can to give it more versatility.

SWR Spectre is rated for 22 and 5.7x28, i would imagine it could handle a 17hmr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it will still bark bun not as much. How much is "<span style="font-style: italic">not much</span>"? ... </div></div>

I have a threaded 17HMR fire it with a can. The rifle can be fired without a can and not hurt my ears and with a can it is noticably quieter to the shooter but probably only minimally quieter 20 feet away. In other words, why bother? IMO a can either makes it pleasant to shoot or not easy to hear from afar.

I'm with dieselten on this one. Why bother shooting hypersonic .17hmr rounds through a suppressor that wouldn't do much, and why bother shooting subsonic .17hmr rounds at all?

We bother to shoot our centerfires supersonic through a suppressor so why not? I'm already going to suppress my 22 stuff so threading my 17 and shooting it with the can seems a no brainer to me.

i think the general train of thought is supersonic centerfires cannot be safely shot without ear protection unless suppressed and recoil is reduced with a suppressor on. with a 17hmr, not sure if its ear safe, but it is definitely not as necessary to have a suppressor to enjoy a pleasant shooting experience either audibly or physically (recoil). add on to the fact that you'll be getting the supersonic crack from a .17 no matter; unless you already have a .22 suppressor its a waste of money to get one for a 17.

Very true...I was assuming he was suppressing a 22 anyway. I would not buy a suppressor just for a 17 either. Must have read it too fast!

As a different stroke than the rest,

I find the 17 HMR rather nasty in it´s report, and besides that is loud to any one near the shooter as well.

I think that it deserves to be moderated with a can just like most other cals does, Ase-Utra ie the ones called Jet Z comp in the US makes a dedicated can for the .17 cals,

or at least that is how I remember it.

Well that was my 2 cents worth.

/Chris

Yes, it is worth it. A 17HMR with can is less noisy than a unsuppressed 22LR shooting subs. Much more pleasant.

I use a .223 can for everything under. It looks silly but works.
bg4f7k.jpg

I bet that can weighs more than the P22!

Crazy.....

EVERYTHING IS WORTH SUPRESSING!!!

IMHO...

The SWR Spectre (and several others now) will do what you want, and it's hard to explain how much nicer it is on the shooter and spotter. It is well worth doing.

Onyx

Not only does it make it more pleasant to shoot, most any rifle will group tighter suppressed than unsuppressed. I squirrel and rabbit hunt with a suppressed .17 HM2. I'm convinced it stirs up the nearby game less with the can. Not to mention they can't pinpoint the origin of the shot so if they do flee, it's as likely to be toward you as away from you.

Reactions: 92G

The animal running at you is very true with suppressed fire. I was on one knee in the high grass shot the first pig and everyone of them ran at me, almost like they thought it was behind them.

As long as its magnum rimfire rated it'll work, which many many cans are.

I just ordered a 22LR Checkmate QD: Griffan Armament 22LR Checkmate QD. It is magnum rimfire rated on 18"+ barrels, so shouldn't be a problem. They are QD, pretty good ratings, you can break them down to clean if you're shooting dirty 22LR through it, and the price is nice. Contact Mary (on the contacts page) and see what kind of price they can shoot you. I'm in the process of getting mine transfered to my dealer currently.

Silencer Research is a good website. It's worth the $30 premium supressor research if you want an indepth review on a ton of supressors to compare prices, DB reduction, weight, size, etc all at a quick glance.

Sounds like I need a .22 can for both .17 and .22, hehe.

Thanks all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The animal running at you is very true with suppressed fire. I was on one knee in the high grass shot the first pig and everyone of them ran at me, almost like they thought it was behind them. </div></div>
The <span style="font-style: italic">apparent</span> point of origin of the 'crack' from a supersonic projectile fired from a suppressed weapon tends to be in the vicinity <span style="text-decoration: underline">of the target</span>.

i've got my spectre for my threaded .22's and am fixing to thread a savage 17, it should be fun.

I have a ruger 77 with volquartsen barrel carbon threaded on the end for their comp. Adapter from them to go from 13/16x20 to 1/2x28. shoot suppressed and its just as accurate and major improvement in noise. Its easy to shot now without hearing protection. I use a SS Quest it is not been given rating for anything but 22lr . It is all SS baffles and tube. would have spectre (originally ordered from SOT)but got a prodigy instead. Added quest because I got it at a good price. After evaluating its constuction felt it was more than adequate for 17hmr out of long barrel. It has worked flawlessly. with many boxes if hornady 17 HMR, Not telling, or reccommending anyone else to use, just my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Biggame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a .223 can for everything under. It looks silly but works.
bg4f7k.jpg
</div></div>
So Do I, Including a .17HMR.
I say its worth it. It takes away the muzzle blast of the .17 almost entirely. If you have the suppressor, I say use it.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKy3ym1-O1A"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uKy3ym1-O1A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

In my best Southern drawl......"what language are y'all talkin' ?".
grin.gif

I have a Tactical Innovations Stratus .22 can that I shoot .17 through and have for a long time with no problems. A customer of mine shoots .204 Ruger through his Stratus and I have taken his apart and inspected it (measure and compare to mine) and cant find any wear or corrosion. I sure as hell wouldn't recommend it but it seems to be fine on his.

The Silencerco Sparrow is also rated for 5.7x28 and would be right at home on a .17hmr

Pretty much any .22 lr can will handle the 17, I prefer a Gemtech Alpine or a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL because you can take them apart and clean them.

As a 07/02 FFL I get to handle many cans and I must say the Thompson Machine can provides a great bang for the buck.