• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is leupold Lacking?

Fotis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
Cheyenne, Wyoming
gsgroup.co.za
I noticed that there is a "lack" of respect for the leupys for LR shooting.

I see many recommendations for night force, Vortex, SS, and a plethora of other but not one for, say, the Mark4 Leupy ET/R or whatever.

My question is where do the Leupies lack?

Tracking, reliability, clarity, etc?

Thank you in advance.

Re: Is leupold Lacking?

Not lacking and fits nicely in its used price range....
smile.gif

I have some MK4's, VX3LR's, and NF's. I love the NF's I have but the leups have served me well out to 1k and back.

I have never purchased a new one though, always go looking for a decent priced used one for my purposes. Usually can get a 6-20 for 1k, and the 4-14's in the 750-850 range.

I noticed the same thing when I first started lurking here. In my hometown Leopold's rule but I looked around here for other options and opinions, let me tell you I found them.
I guess it just comes down to to many other options that people feel are better.

They've had issues in the past with reliability, non-matching reticles/turrets, turrets being questionable whether they are IPHY vs. MOA, and reticles not actual mil values.

I'm one who've said in the past that I wouldn't go Leupold again, but I've since backed away from that opinion. The new Leupold Tactical is not the old. I have a Mark 8 CQBSS, love that scope, and I'm anxiously awaiting the rest of the Mark 6 and 8 line to be released.

Of course I have another S&B on order too...

From what I have seen Leupolds are great scopes but some people have brought into question their reliablity. When it came down to it for me if I am going to spend 1600+ on a scope I dont feel I should have to worry about reliablity/accuracy at all especially when other scopes are offered with the same features at lower prices from their competitors. So in short there is nothing wrong with Leupold but there are many other great options.

lupy bashing is peer pressure here, cause i heard from a guy that is friends with a well known douche that said so

IMO they just fell behind,and are catching up. M5 knobs and the new locking turrets are the way to go. The M1 knobs are MUSHY.

Leupold is a company that many can dismiss because they offer a range from $200-$4000 scopes. Most companys that people bring up are NF, S&B, US Optics, Hendsoldt, etc. These companies don't even enter into the sub $1000 market. Leupold has stayed true to the entry level, average, and advanced shooters. They have models in every price range, which is a GREAT thing about them. The $350 EFR is one of the finest airgun/Rimfire scopes on the market and the new MK8 has been proving itself amazing as will the new MK6 I'm sure. Can't argue that their mark 4's, 6's, and 8's aren't top notch quality rivaling most.

Is Leupold lacking, no way. They are staying true to a philosophy of serving every customer for every application and in almost any price point.

Trevor B.

I have two Leupolds I bought used and they have both served me well. For the same price of a new Leupold I would probably buy a Night Force but that's just based on my own preference. They are great scopes.

Have NEVER had a single issue with any Leupold scope I own owned or have used at work. They will do everything you need them to do and a hard used items.You see alot of them in the sandbox so that should say more than enough

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIERRAWHISKEY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">10x M3 mildot Leupold one of the best scopes I've ever had.</div></div>

I used to have that scope. I like it because it was light, fast and simple. I've since moved on to variable power, matching turret FFP scopes.

i am seriously considering the mark 4 lr/t 8.5-25x50 with illuminated tmr. I like the fact that the illumination has different settings, whereas it is my understanding that nightforce does not. how does the glass stack up with competition?

I am currently shooting a bushnell elite tactical 4.5-30x50.

Does Leupold offer a FFP, reticule/turret matching illuminated scope for less than a thousand? No. Do they offer one for less than 2k? I'm not sure, I think some of the 3.5-10 M5 scopes have it but I could be wrong.

Setting aside reliability arguments the above paragraph is what irks people around here about Leupold.

FWIW I like Leupold stuff but not at the prices they ask. In comparison to the mainly Japanese competition Leupold's retail prices are almost all just plain silly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am seriously considering the mark 4 lr/t 8.5-25x50 with illuminated tmr.</div></div>

If you can live without illumination look at the Bushnell HDMR from Libertyoptics and the SWFA 5-20 super sniper that is on sale right now for 1050. Both are superior to that Leupold.

I like the positive "click" on the NF scopes better but I have a whole fleet of Leupolds and have never had a problem with any of them. I had a Swarovski 1.7-10 Z6 on a 375 H&H hunting rifle and I had to send it back for service twice. You don't always get what you pay for plus they are made in the USA.

I have owned a half dozen MK4’s or the past six years, everyone has tracked, and returned to zero properly, so no complaints there. As far as the image quality, I have never been real impressed, certainly not when you consider their cost new. They are good enough to get the job done for sure but I have always felt they should have been better especially when you can buy glass at 50-70% less in hunting scopes that is just as good and sometimes better.

Now it seems they want even more for the newer lines, approaching and even surpassing some of the best euro glass out there. With those euro companies I can understand the price as they have to contend with currency exchange rates and whatever it costs to import them to our shore, but Leupold… Sorry.

I won’t say I will never buy another one, as I am always on the lookout for a deal. But $1500-2000+ for a new or used Leupold, I will continue to look elsewhere.

In my experience, I wouldn't say that they are necessarily 'lacking' anything. But for me, their scope generally do not represent the best ROI - In short; good scopes, but not the best value proposition/use of anyone's money.

Reliability? Issues? Realy

In the last twenty five years I have used Leupolds almost daily and never had a tracking issue with any of them. Last year UI switched to Leupold as my Competition F TR Scopes and ran both a fixed 30x ( 1000.00 retail) and an 8.5-25 MK4. Both work great.

They are reliable. They are great scopes.

Now anything can break and I am sure some have had issues of tracking like any brand scope does but what I have seen many times is a bad archer blaming a perfectly fine arrow, many many times.

yeah I think they are lacking, mainly from the options they offer. they have promised the VX 6 scopes would be out for over a year, only ones are the 2-12 hunting model which noone is that excited about. their scopes are just now getting a zero stop. I say just now but I honestly don't know if you can buy a scope right now from the with a ZS because they aren't out there much right now. also and this is my biggest gripe they have avoided scopes with high zoom ratios, bushnell has had models with over 6:1 zoom for some time now, march has scopes with 10:1 zoom. why is that so hard?? give me a 3-20 model or a 4-28x scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cummins cowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> their scopes are just now getting a zero stop. </div></div>

my 1992 M3A has zero stop

I have several Mark 4 scopes and don't plan on getting rid of any of them anytime soon. They have served me well for years. With that said, my go to "tactical" match rifles have 5-25x PH scopes on them because they have the features I want and Leupy doesn't.

As far as reliability/repeatability goes, I have never had an issue with one of the Mark 4s that I own. I have had tracking issues with a few units made by some of the "better" brands, though I am sure that was all my imagination.

As far as glass quality goes, I think the Mark 4 glass is as good or better than MOST of the brands out there.

Now, do I think that Leupold makes the best scopes out there? NO. However, I firmly believe that they make some very good scopes and are making strides in meeting the demands of today's shooters.

Under $1000 they're a lot of value for the money. Over that, they just have really stiff competition from other companies such as SWFA, etc. etc. who offer FFP, mil/mil and illumination. Go to the next price point and they're competing with Nightforce and USO. Not knocking the product at all and they turn out good scopes, just not my cup of tea and I think a lot of this is the Ford/Chevy thing.

Back when I was a hunter, I thought $500 for a scope was preposterous, but then we were using straight crosshairs and the only time you touched the turrets was zeroing on the range, and all the fieldwork was holdover and Kentucky windage.

i hate swore off of leupold. i dont think they make a bad scope, i just think there 1200 dollar scope is the same quality as a lot of other companies 800 dollar scope. i think you pay a preimum for their name, and ive had issues with there cs in the past.

I like leupolds for my devoted hunting rifles. If i was going to purchase highend glass, i feel there are better for the same price out there. Not knocking them i like there products!