• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is Long Range Shooting Any Fun?

DEERSLAYER

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Still thinking about whether I should get into this or not. It just seems all the calculations and data will be confusing and it will be expensive. Is shooting long distances any fun to do?

Nope, its no fun at all. Nothin but work, but the paycheck goes the wrong way. Honestly, if you wanna try it out on the cheap, go get a hunting rifle in your preferred caliber, and head to the range to see how much you enjoy it. If ya like it, use said rifle as your platform to start building on.

Thats an odd question to post on this kind of forum. Does a bear shit in the woods?

Is golfing fun? For some it is for others (like me) it's not.

It's all a matter of personnel preference. I don't see the draw to trying to put that little ball in a hole that is a few yards away. Now sit me behind a rifle and tell me to hit a piece of steel , don't tell me how far it is and make me find it, NOW THAT"S FUN!

sitting behind the scope after you pull the trigger, and watching the trace downrange for a couple of seconds, then watching the bullet smack home and a couple of seconds later hearing the "ping" confirming what you knew all along..........after spending at least 1k on a good rifle, another 1 k on a good scope, and finally at least another 1k on bipods, bullets, and other goodies.....not worth it. Knowing if your life ever depended on doing it again, that you could cause you dedicated your time to a craft. Priceless!

TW

I've always had a healthy obsession with firearms...as far back as I can remember any gun would intrigue and interest me. pistols, rifles, shotguns, whatever it is I'm in. I haven't explored every avenue that shooting has and right now I'm comfortable working my way through an apprenticeship in marksmanship. I wouldn't even consider myself a journeyman level shooter even though I've been hunting big game and shooting full size rifles since I was nine...twenty five years ago. I guess if you are questioning your interest then it may not be for you. But for me, there is no question...just desire to get behind a rifle everyday and get out into the woods.

really? go to the playboy forum and ask if they like looking at titties. with that out of the way... i have shot 3 gun and some cowboy action stuff but this elr shooting is awesome, and its like anything else you can spend as much or as little as you want or can afford last sunday at range the guns ranged from pawn shop rigs to $6000 rigs everybody shot and had a great time

Its unbelievably fun and equally addicting. Just started a few years ago but the challenge never gets easier. Every time I think I'm getting it I realize I don't have a clue, its humbling and frustrating and insanely awesome

I am going to recommend sporting clays. Tons of fun and you instanty know when you hit a clay. Loads of fun ol' boy. I think you are in the wrong place. Go buy a Perrazi (did I spell that right?) or Browning you will fit right in. Seriously, clays are fun.

Long rang takes patience, money, practice, some math skills or at least a cognitive understanding of a variety of input variations like wind, distance, time, patience and money. This place rocks! It isn't a whole bunch of money rather the proper application of funds. Oh, you might own the gear but somewhere beyond five hundred yards people will figure it out.

LR shooting consumes me. I don't know if it's fun or not but I can't live without it. Thanks to ALL our guys in uniform that keeps this country able to enjoy things as this.

To me there are two different kind of shooters.

Those who shoot a million shots and think they hit something and those who shoot once and know they hit it. The ones who know they hit it are long range shooters, and yes it's awesome and very expensive but it will change how you view guns.

A sport for the anal retentive who obsess over the most minute of details, tinker and fiddle incessantly with equipment, and spending tons of money on gadgets like Wilson micrometer case trimmers or Hawkeye bore scopes or chronographs (Magnetospeed this time). Nope, isn't enjoyable at all.

LR shooting is not unlike golf...a lot of expense & aggravation followed by moments of euphoria when everything comes together on one shot, or series of shots....

LR shooting is not unlike golf...a lot of expense & aggravation followed by moments of euphoria when everything comes together on one shot, or series of shots....

Good explanation ^. Though honestly i think shooting is harder than golf lol, might of been cause i was always decent at golf. Shooting like much of anything requires constant attention and practice to maintain IMO. Something that i can't do often at the moment. Also becomes a huge mental game when you really care and are competing.

I took up golf right out of college. I got hooked because I was spending months away from home for training for my new job, and it was a fun way to pass time on the weekends, far away from home. I spent a lot of money getting into it. Turns out, buying bullets is cheaper than golf balls. My average range day, I spent less in ammo than the balls I hit into the lakes, and golf clubs I smashed on trees.

Not to mention, there are some epic douche stains at golf courses.

Last edited:
I shoot NRA Long Range, for me there is nothing more thrilling than hitting the X ring 10" circle or 10 ring 20" circle at 1k with irons shot after shot having to read the wind and so on. As far as calculations in my sport you have sighters, I know my comeups 24 MOA (for my .280 Rem) and then look at the wind make a windage call and go from there. There are not a lot of hard calculations. If/when I shoot steel tactical its the same thing. Long Range is the most expensive of all the shooting disciplines as far as NRA goes, shooting course with service rifle is the easiest and cheapest. However for me there is nothing better than prone long range shooting. Mid range is fun too.

I think most people on this forum find it very fun and addicting but if you don't see the fun in it maybe you should try to find someone to let you go shoot some with them before you spend a bunch of money.

Try to get invited by someone who has the equipment and sit behind them watching the vapor trail and follow the bullet into the target by looking through the spotting scope. maybe they will let you sling a few down range. Seeing what the wind does to your bullet at 1k and then try to outguess it. Is it fun??? Try it and then get back to us on your opinion. Better have an understanding wife and money to play with is all I can say!!!

Still thinking about whether I should get into this or not. It just seems all the calculations and data will be confusing and it will be expensive. Is shooting long distances any fun to do?
This may sound like splitting hairs, but I would say, FUN, no, Enjoyalbe and Satisfying- Yes!! Shooting is about learning, you never stop, always something new, but I'd like to issue you this warning: Be careful, as once you start, it is worst than Heroin, you are going to be addicted for life!

Depends on whether you are doing the shooting or holding the target...

Fun for me? Yes!! Fun for you? No idea. I enjoy reloading, finding the right combo and the satisfaction of seeing the results downrange. If you decide to do it be ready to spend a little money and if you like it a lot of money!!!

I've spent a lot of money already, two entry rifles, and have yet to fire a shot. Still trying to get over back surgery. I tell my wife this is the "mobilization" part. There's a lot to learn on this site, I just have to figure out all the acronyms, etc. These rifles are cool even if they never got used. Lots more rifles, scopes to buy, reloading to do, pigs & yotes to shoot I hope. Most likely , I won't be able to hit anything past 500 yards, but I'll have lots of fun trying. Sure is a lot cheaper than Class III stuff.

Wrong place to ask as the vast majority of the prolific posters on this site seldom shoot past 100 yards...

I Love it,Just the thrill of reloading and have them group tight its awesome, but all shooting doesnt have to be long range, shooting period is fun, its a tradition passed down through generations as is hunting and fishing and i think its something to be passed on to everyones kids for everybody to enjoy.

Have you ever tried fixing something around the house and didn't have the right tool for the job and got frustrated trying force some combination of inadequate tools to get the job done? That's what long range shooting is like when you try to do it without the quality of gear you need to make it fun.

I'll assume the question is sincere.

If you're talking about going from being a deer slayer to starting to shoot 1,000 yd f-class or signing up for the Sniper Hide Cup in Douglas this May, then NO it's not going to be fun... However, if you'd like to start out in precision rifle shooting, say shooting 100, 200, up to 500 (no more than 600) off a bench at paper targets to develop precise groups that you can then learn to shoot accurately at those distances you could have a lot of fun. For less than $2k you can get a great rig that will peform (say one of the Savage's in .223, 6.5cm or .308 and a vortex, bushnell, sightron scope with repeateable turrents). There is accurate ammo manufactured for these calibers, just bad availability right now, but that too will pass. In fact you don't need a ballistic computer, there is info right here on the hide from members on moa/mil settings for calibers and yardages. They'll get you in the ball park and you can adjust with what the target is telling you. At this point don't make it more complicated than it needs to be!

If you decide to reload you can get into that by starting out slow also. All to often advice given to someone starting out in LR game or reloading is overwhelming with too much info and they get turned off or waste money getting latest, greatest and every widget known to man. You don't need a neck reamer and concentricity guage if you're still trying to figure out which way to pull the handle... Don't bite off too big a piece of the apple. Go slow and success will follow.

Good luck and have fun!

It is the shooting discipline I am most interested in and I have a lot to learn. I think it is much more thinking oriented then other types of shooting, and more challenging.

A sport for the anal retentive who obsess over the most minute of details, tinker and fiddle incessantly with equipment, and spending tons of money on gadgets like Wilson micrometer case trimmers or Hawkeye bore scopes or chronographs (Magnetospeed this time). Nope, isn't enjoyable at all.

Sounds like I've found the right place!

It's kind of like a boat, or horses or any other thing you can throw money at and then more money all for a frustrating purpose.

I first got into it as a hunter, then as a F-Class competator and now as a PSR competator.

I am not really anal rententive enough to be good, as more than a couple hours producing ammo leaves me in fits.

We shoot a lot, we bitch a lot, and we try and figure out math that for most folks is beyond our own personal ability.

I love it, but action pistol sports or breaking clays is honestly more "fun". Saying that I am not interested in either one of those anymore, as the Zen of long range calls me.

I enjoy it because it is a challenge. There is allot to learn and the craft continues to evolve everyday. Now everything else is just background noise.

It is no fun at all. Send me all the money you are willing to spend on long range shooting, and I will send you my golf clubs. :)

Remember if you do decide to get into this sport, stay away from the custom rifles and german optics you will own them down the road if you dont.

Last edited:
When its time to mow the grass-I go shoot. When its suggested I visit the inlaws-I go shoot. When its time to change the oil-I go shoot. When I'm supposed to be at church-I go shoot. When the wife is running her mouth-I go shoot. When its time to shoot-I'm already there! Don't know about being fun but I sure like doing it.

NO IT SUCKS> I "started out" with a rifle. Then I got a "better" rifle. Then I got another "better rifle" .Then I got another 5 rifles. My reloading for handguns , went from easy, to measuring to the thousands of an in., for my shells. I spend HOURS, looking for info, here, and elsewhere. I spend HOURS, at the range, trying to get "the small groups". It's taking up all of my time! BUT... I'm "retired" and it's fun! What else am I going to do? It becomes an obsession! Be careful...... Maybe... take up Bridge Edit: The "most" fun, I have, in all of this, is when I take a Kid, to the range. I show him "the gun and show him how it works, and load one of my "special handloads", and he hit's the bull .They start with the 22's. Within a couple rounds, they want to shoot the 300 Win Mag. No, it doesn't "suck", really But be prepared to spend some dough.Plan on $30, 000, at least..

Last edited:
Walk into a strip club and ask a guy getting a lap dance if having a half naked woman with huge tits dry humping his face is fun.