• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my new Remi SPSTactical 1/2 MOA out of the box?

Zed Kelvartis

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
Please help a newbie out (I just started shooting pistols a few months ago, and this is my first rifle). Am I calculating MOA correctly? Furthest edge to furthest edge measures 13/16". If shooting with .308, then this is about 0.5 MOA, right (0.8125-0.308=0.5045)? I had 4 out of 6 groups look identical to this at 100 yds.

This was with a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 win, with a Knoxx Axiom stock and Leupold 4.5-14x scope using Federal Gold Match Sierra Match King ammo. This was my first time out shooting it after break-in.

spstactical.jpg

Re: Is my new Remi SPSTactical 1/2 MOA out of the box?

Rather than using the masic .308 for the bullet dia, you should measure the dark circle around holes to see what diameter those actually are - they are usually a little smaller than the diameter of the bullet. Subtract that diameter from the out-to-out measurement of the group to get your net size.

Nice shooting by the way.

That is a decent three shot group. The orthodoxy is to produce several 5 shot groups and average the spread of each to determine the rifle's capabilities with it's preferred ammo.

Got pics of that Knoxx stock?

Draw a 1/2" circle on your target and see if you can put three in it. I would recommend doing it on a paper target. If you can, it's shooting .5 MOA out of the box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rather than using the masic .308 for the bullet dia, you should measure the dark circle around holes to see what diameter those actually are - they are usually a little smaller than the diameter of the bullet. Subtract that diameter from the out-to-out measurement of the group to get your net size.

Nice shooting by the way. </div></div>

Thanks. I wasn't sure if the calculations were correct. Using calipers, I just measured the hole diameter, and indeed they were a little smaller, measuring as 7.5 mm... so, it works out to 0.518 MOA then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a decent three shot group. The orthodoxy is to produce several 5 shot groups and average the spread of each to determine the rifle's capabilities with it's preferred ammo.

Got pics of that Knoxx stock? </div></div>

OK, will attempt 5 shot groups next time. I was pretty happy that 4 out of 6 of my groups were virtually identical though.

I haven't taken any pics of my actual setup, but here are manufacturer's pics of the stock... I like it a lot because it really free-floats the barrel, whereas the factory Hogue stock was touching the barrel and not as rigid. The recoil absorbing function seems to work decently as well, although the only thing I have to compare it to was the memory of shooting my friend's Remington 700 BDL twice about 3 years ago. I'll try and get my friend to bring out his Remi and do a side by side comparo someday...

18-219-IMG1_L.jpeg

18-219-IMG2_L.jpeg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brandon972</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pretty freaking accurate for a $550 stock gun !! </div></div>

Yeah, I'm pretty happy! Plus, Remington was offering a nice rebate when I bought it too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Beggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I come up with .89 ctc. </div></div>

What does this mean? Is it .89 MOA? CTC= center to center, right? If so, the center to center distance of the 2 furthest shots was 0.65" measured with calipers. I probably shouldn't have used a curved tape measure for the picture...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZ15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Draw a 1/2" circle on your target and see if you can put three in it. I would recommend doing it on a paper target. If you can, it's shooting .5 MOA out of the box. </div></div>

Do the holes have to be completely within the circle or just touching the circle?

Zed,

Nice stock. As to 5 shot, 100 yard, groups, Lowlight posted several targets for our use, two of which have five 1" dots or circles for this exercise. See the following:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=724840&gonew=1#UNREAD

They are PDF files and easily downloaded. They are all listed on the very first post of the 5 page thread but if you read the whole thread you'll get the idea.

I and many others here have the same rifle and believe it to be a great value and certainly capable of 1/2 moa. My point is you need to rule out anomalous groups to prove it is truly .5 or .75 moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a decent three shot group. The orthodoxy is to produce several 5 shot groups and average the spread of each to determine the rifle's capabilities with it's preferred ammo.

Got pics of that Knoxx stock?</div></div>

Yeah I'm curious to see your set up too. I'd just like to see how far forward the scope is mounted just because of the whole eye relief issue with that stock. I always thought about trying it but the whole eye relief thing always stopped me.

BTW what base and rings are you using?

I am waiting for the arrival of my $550.00 sps..hope it shoots as well as yours. My problem will be refraining from putting a good scope on it. Cause you know I will be dragging it through the swamp. Hope you do some longer shooting and re-post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ttam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am waiting for the arrival of my $550.00 sps..hope it shoots as well as yours. My problem will be refraining from putting a good scope on it. Cause you know I will be dragging it through the swamp. Hope you do some longer shooting and re-post. </div></div>

That would be all the more reason to put good glass on it.

Ryan

I just bought one in .223 and it shoots great!

I measure center to center of the extreme holes of a 5 shot group.

My .223 Tactical is a consistent 1/2 moa right out of the box with good handloads. The .308 is fussier, but averages about 3/4 moa or so.

Good luck,
Sherlok