• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is my thinking right on additional elevation needed for 2M shot?

Also the terrain where the target is counts. I recently moved my 1200 yd 12” plate and my 800 yard 8” plate bc they were too close to rocks on one or both sides. If you hit the rocks, no feedback. Same thing if target is too tall off the ground. I keep mine just inches off the ground if possible.

Last edited:
One other thing...

Just because one rifle is a good setup for 2500, 3000 or 3500 yards, for example, it doesn't mean that it's good for 1000, 1500, a mile, etc.

When I get my 37XC, the only time I'll be shooting it at less than mid-2000s is sighting it in at the range. With component shortages/costs, bullet costs, barrel life, and a whole host of other reasons, using it for nearer ranges just doesn't make sense. That's what my 300 is for - or closer in, my 6 BRA.
Furthermore, I can spot myself at a mile with 375/50 BMG because I have 3 seconds to get back on target. With my 338LM, 1200 is hard and I sometimes do better with my 223 if I don’t have a spotter bc: recoil

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketmandb
Also the terrain where the target is counts. I recently moved my 1200 yd 12” plate and my 800 yard 8” plate bc they were too close to rocks on one or both sides. If you hit the rocks, no feedback. Same thing if target is too tall off the ground. I keep mine just inches off the ground if possible.

[wishes I had "permanent" targets to move]

For many rounds, you get a "destabilizing effect" as the bullet's speed drops down into the "transonic boundary". Or to put it differently, you may see a marked reduction in accuracy when you shoot past the point where the round is "supersonic". For a 6.5 CM round, as I recall, it is typically around 1200 to 1300 Yards. Some factory loads are as close as 1000 yards where they go subsonic.

Many shooters look this up, to determine how far a given round will be "accurate to".

Last edited:
If you want to be a man, get a 300 Weatherby Magnum, no muzzle break. Then shoot that to 2-miles. Screw the 300 RUMs and the Cheytacs and the PRCs and the doodly-dee-dees. Go get yourself the obscure, ridiculously expensive to shoot 300 Weatherby Magnum... the original ultra mag.

And then once you hit 2-miles, you can go hunt Thanos and win.
Why avoid the Bearpit when you can have the Bearpit come to you:LOL::LOL::LOL:

For many rounds, you get a "destabilizing effect" as the bullet's speed drops down into the "transonic boundary". Or to put it differently, you may see a marked reduction in accuracy when you shoot past the point where the round is "supersonic". For a 6.5 CM round, as I recall, it is typically around 1200 to 1300 Yards. Some factory loads are as close as 1000 yards where they go subsonic.

Many shooters look this up, to determine how far a given round will be "accurate to".

The "for many rounds" part is key. When we were tinkering around in the mile-to-2400 yard range with the 338LM, we shot 250 and 300 grain Scenars and the 300 Berger hybrid. All three went through transonic differently on any given day. The 250 Scenar was the best most days. In high winds, the Berger was usually better.

Reactions: addertooth