• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is Nickel Boron worth it?

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
So, I get that NiB has a higher 'lubricity', but is it worth getting on an AR? Say, a MATEN costs 10% more with the NiB coating. What tangible benefits or functional improvements am I buying? Does it require a NiB coated BCG for best performance?

Actually, let's say 25% more cost, because, let's face it, I'm going to pay someone to Cerakote that shiny sumbitch. Suddenly, I'm thinking the regular receiver is a better choice.

Re: Is Nickel Boron worth it?

You can run it dry
laugh.gif
...there is absolutely no need to NiB a gun, its a highspeed low drag sales gimmick....

If it floats your boat then get it, but if you are going to have it cerakoted why not just get a regular anodized receiver set? Ask about the Cerakote Microslick

Brother, you know its better if it costs more!! Gawd!

Nah, just kidding. I guess it depends of how much you hate cleaning. I've had a POF that was all coated with some sort of shiny silver shit, and the damn bolt carrier would fall out every time I opened up the action for cleaning. It was easy to clean, I guess. I've also got a rifle with a chrome lined barrel, plus full Fail Zero BCG, hammer, and receiver that is coated with shiny shit as well, and it runs like a raped ape and is easy to clean also.

But then again, my life got a whole lot better when I got an air compressor with a water trap on it. Now, cleaning mostly consists of liberally dousing the crap out of my gun with gun scrubber, then attacking the remaining carbon with a copper brush, stainless if need be. After its bone dry, I douse it with TW25 liquid and a touch of TW25 grease, and it is good to go til the next cleaning. I find that as long as you douse your gun with lube (use a barrel cap, close dust cover and always leave a mag in, if you carry it) that it is easy to clean-I guess the lube gives the carbon something to stick to.

So, like the guy above me said, if you dig it, go ahead, but I don't think it makes the gun that much easier to clean and I don't think it extends the life of and AR that much. My Fail Zero rifle runs bad ass, but it is showing a ringed, or striped pattern in the receiver walls where it seems like the coating is wearing away quickly. I think the already hard bolt surface against the soft aluminum will cause wear, regardless. I really dig coated 1911s, where the frame and slide are made of quality steel and the coatings add lubricity and extend the life of the gun. I suppose you have to wear through the coating before you get metal on metal friction? Go talk to USPSA shooters see how long hard chromed guns last. Yeah, I know, I said hard chrome, not NiB, but to me anything other than a typical military parkerized finish does pretty much the same thing-protect from corrosion, lubricate, and extend the life of the machine part that it is applied to.

On that MicroSlick thing, I am genuinely intrigued by that. My pals at Alamo Tactical have been doing that on bolt carriers and it comes out with a cool grey sheen and is doing what it is supposed to do, and I don't think it was expensive, either. I wonder how it would work on a whole pistol?? Hmm, maybe I need to find a donor gun......

YMMV, have fun.

My NiB ARP carriers are much easier to clean, never tried the receivers. I didn't pay out the arse for them either as I see other brands charging, so YMMV.

If I got it, I'd only have the outside Cerakoted, NiB does me no good on the outside. But considering all the excess costs, vs the benefits I'd get, I think NiB is a luxury I can live without.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If it floats your boat then get it, but if you are going to have it cerakoted why not just get a regular anodized receiver set? Ask about the Cerakote Microslick </div></div>

If you are shooting unsuppressed then I would go with a standard mil-spec carrier and anodized receiver. If you are going to be shooting suppressed I would consider upgrading to a nickel boron coated carrier at a minimum.

They are much easier to clean, you have to do little more than wipe them down. I still use a small amount of TW-25, I don't care what the guys an ARFCOM say.

Thanks for the advice Brian.

Anyone know who makes NiB coated BCGs for the AR10? Does Young's Manufacturing offer NiB coated N/M BCGs?

been shooting the same AR for 14 years wihout all that with zero issues, do I need it nope, not then, not now. I have 11 AR's now and not one of them as that stuff on it and i can't tell it needs it but if it makes you feel better, go ahea and get it.
cheers.

Black Rain Ordnance supplies nickel boron/"norgard" bolts. Its not a necessity but I do really like mine. If you like clean parts, it does clean dramatically easier.

I have a nickle boron spikes BCG and only bought it cause I got a great deal on it a year or so ago and it is extremely easy to clean up. Do you need it, nope.. But do you I need 11 Ar's, Nope.. But then where would the fun be buying only stuff we needed?
grin.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

I went with the plain MATEN ambi set. In the end, the extra cost for the NiB receiver, + eventually Cerakote-ing the outside just didn't make sense.

I think I'll be getting a Young's N/M AR10 BCG to go with it. Those are chrome plated, if I remember correctly.