• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is single stage press the way to go for precision?

Re: Is single stage press the way to go for precision?

Re: Is single stage press the way to go for precision? [Re: Brandon7766]
a_bishop
Sergeant

Loc: greenwood, in
i used to load all precision stuff on a single stage but i was in a hurry to load up 243 for the last shoot i did. set up the 550 w a uniquetek tool head and ammo was just as accurate same dope all the way out 1100. Im gunna keep loading on the dillon and see how it does w 7wsm

what is your tool setup as i am interested to see....i have a 550 and would like to set it up.

Thanks Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKT1106</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load my precision stuff on my Lee Breech Lock Single Stage. You can do it on a progressive, but I like doing each step by hand, one at a time. Makes me feel like I am putting something into the accuracy of the load. </div></div>

I have to agree here. I do everything one step at a time. Check every load weight wise...even for pistol ..which is asinine seeings how I can't shoot one anyhow.

I would not pretend that for short range bench rest stuff a dillon could provide the precision desired but for anything done past 100yards or off of a field rest in field conditions there is no way of seeing a difference. I think the skill level of properly setting up the press and dies will have more affect on the quality of the ammo than whether its a forster single stage or a Dillon 550.

The only compromise I make with the Dillon is feeding it ball powders, I use Ramshot Hunter for my .243 and TAC for all my .223 and .308 stuff with no complaints at all.