• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Is the 6X47 Lapua Easy to Load?

Money Waster

Private
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2017
I’m interested in having a rifle built in 6X47 Lapua for shooting steel out to 1200, and possibly PRS style shooting at some point. I mentioned this intent to a buddy of mine who shoots PRS and NRL, and he commented that he’s been told that it can be finicky to load. Has anyone here loaded for this round, and if so, how easy was it to find an acceptable load?

Money

Reactions: Roger Kaufman
I have one and had no trouble working up a load.
105 gr Berger Hybrid and H 4350.
I love it, shoots in the 2's at 100 and under 1/2 moa at a thousand.

That’s exactly what I wanted to hear! What’s your freebore? Who smithed the rifle?

Dave Young in Tracy Mt. Did the work. Its on a Surgeon 591 with a Bartlein medium Palma 27 inches long, Manners T6 carbon stock. Don't recall the freebore but it shot everything I tried in it.

Dave Young in Tracy Mt. Did the work. Its on a Surgeon 591 with a Bartlein medium Palma 27 inches long, Manners T6 carbon stock. Don't recall the freebore but it shot everything I tried in it.
That’s a good story indeed. Are you happy with that chambering?

Yes, will just keep putting barrels on it.
Need at find a bullet that doesn't tear coyotes up as bad as the Berger though.
It is really quite though my Thunderbeast Ultra 7 also.

Reactions: Money Waster
Keep the muzzle velocity around 2950 out of a 26" barrel and it's a cinch to load for.

If you push it above 3100 you're going to be chasing loads.

Keep the muzzle velocity around 2950 out of a 26" barrel and it's a cinch to load for.

If you push it above 3100 you're going to be chasing loads.

Thanks for the info.

How many accurate rounds can one expect from a 6X47?

Same thing. For me, zero jump and 38.0 grains H-4350, 2,950 fps. Have shot in the ones @ 100.

Couldn't be happier......

Great info, thank you for sharing.

What bullet are you shooting?

You mention zero jump, have you read this yet?

Reactions: Threadcutter308
This is with a random 35.0gr varget, Berger 109’s. 0.020 jump. Reamer has the same body dimensions as 6.5x47, with a .275 neck and .150 freebore.

Attachments

• 25CE97FD-9F92-4D8C-86B7-EF6F782E64B0.jpeg
    25CE97FD-9F92-4D8C-86B7-EF6F782E64B0.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 95192B87-B5F1-4479-A8AB-7F0C3BC3D780.jpeg
    95192B87-B5F1-4479-A8AB-7F0C3BC3D780.jpeg
    523.9 KB · Views: 177
  • 1B0F9CDF-4C51-49DC-A0DC-039B4B71A327.jpeg
    1B0F9CDF-4C51-49DC-A0DC-039B4B71A327.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 207
  • D7B973C2-A1C4-4A74-A2D2-112830A056BE.jpeg
    D7B973C2-A1C4-4A74-A2D2-112830A056BE.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 225
Here’s an example of how different specs can be. Even with large manufacturers.

Here is two 6x47 casings fired out of the same chamber. The left is a Redding 6.5x47 die and the right is a Redding 6x47 die:

4299B051-E2AC-4379-B8A5-FEAE81DF91C1.jpeg

• Wow
Are those bushing dies or FL sizing does? What do you use for your reloads?

FL bushing dies. Apparently Redding is using a spec that is based off one of the smaller body 6x47 prints.

I use the 6.5x47 die with an appropriate bushing. Since my reamer retains the same body dimensions as a 6.5x47

I have had one load go thru my 6x47 and that is it. 105gr Hybrid, 39.0gr of H4350, BR2 primers, 3000fps ish (can't remember exact MV), in my PVA built Big Horn. One hole groups, ESs in 15fps range. Like Dthomas, I use the Redding 6.5x47 FL bushing dies with whatever bushing Josh Kunz (PVA smith) recommended.

No need to over think this stuff. Get something that works and stick with as long as its working.

Isn't it recommended to use a FL non-bushing die, like the Forster, to size down from 6.5 to 6x47L? It will size the neck all the way to the shoulder, and from what I'm reading it will also reduce the likelihood of getting crushed cases.

Isn't it recommended to use a FL non-bushing die, like the Forster, to size down from 6.5 to 6x47L? It will size the neck all the way to the shoulder, and from what I'm reading it will also reduce the likelihood of getting crushed cases.

That’s probably the better route.

I use a .271 bushing, then a .268. Then I neck turn. Fired cases get another pass in the turner just to keep it all shaped up.

This is with a random 35.0gr varget, Berger 109’s. 0.020 jump. Reamer has the same body dimensions as 6.5x47, with a .275 neck and .150 freebore.
Any specific reason for 0.150” freebore? I saw the latest PRB article on jumping hybrids 0.060”, wondering if you’ve seen similar positive results to a longer freebore and jump.

Any specific reason for 0.150” freebore? I saw the latest PRB article on jumping hybrids 0.060”, wondering if you’ve seen similar positive results to a longer freebore and jump.

Its what Erik Cortina has had good luck with. I haven’t messed with longer jump yet. Still at .020

You’ve probably already made up your mind but I’ll add my 2 cents, go for it! Like Threadcutter and LawnMM said, stay around 2950 and it’ll be plenty easy to load for. The 2 barrels that I’ve had have been boringly easy!
You are correct. Based on feedback here I’m going 6X47. You guys have given me the confidence that finding a good load won’t be a problem. I’ll have it built in June when the annual bonus money shows up.

The PRB is specifically the read that pushed me in the 6mm direction. I was going to do a straight 6.5X47, but after reading the article I decided to go 6mm considering the load help that the article provided.

The PRB is specifically the read that pushed me in the 6mm direction. I was going to do a straight 6.5X47, but after reading the article I decided to go 6mm considering the load help that the article provided.

If you don’t feel like necking down, a 6.5x47
Pushing 130’s a little slow probably has a good recoil impulse.

It’s known as the BR of 6.5’s for a reason. Stupid easy to load for

Great info, thank you for sharing.

What bullet are you shooting?

You mention zero jump, have you read this yet?

Hi Money, sorry for the late response, got sidetracked.......

Berger 105 Hybrids. I don't remember where, but I saw someone recommend zero jump way back when, so I tried it. It does go against "conventional" wisdom, but it works for me. Last time I Magnetospeed'ed, I think my SD was about 6 (?). I don't doubt for a minute that others that are jumping their rounds aren't also getting great results. I used to Moly coat, but found it to be of no benefit nowadays.

I neck turn/neck size only. Neck wall thickness is 0.0135" and my neck sizer button is 0.268" for -0.002" neck tension. I use the same chamber reamer to make my own neck sizer dies, concentricity is great. I get pretty anal about this stuff, but it truly is a hobby, a distraction and a bit of a labor of love. I'm looking for levels of accuracy that aren't really practical for PRS types of competition. I'm older and have some physical issues (can't run or walk long distances), but the younger PRS guys that would recommend against what I'm doing probably aren't wrong (for their needs). I'd probably have to be admitted to the ER if I lost any of my brass......

Just having fun with it, it's worked out very well.

Hi Money, sorry for the late response, got sidetracked.......

Berger 105 Hybrids. I don't remember where, but I saw someone recommend zero jump way back when, so I tried it. It does go against "conventional" wisdom, but it works for me. Last time I Magnetospeed'ed, I think my SD was about 6 (?). I don't doubt for a minute that others that are jumping their rounds aren't also getting great results. I used to Moly coat, but found it to be of no benefit nowadays.

I neck turn/neck size only. Neck wall thickness is 0.0135" and my neck sizer button is 0.268" for -0.002" neck tension. I use the same chamber reamer to make my own neck sizer dies, concentricity is great. I get pretty anal about this stuff, but it truly is a hobby, a distraction and a bit of a labor of love. I'm looking for levels of accuracy that aren't really practical for PRS types of competition. I'm older and have some physical issues (can't run or walk long distances), but the younger PRS guys that would recommend against what I'm doing probably aren't wrong (for their needs). I'd probably have to be admitted to the ER if I lost any of my brass......

Just having fun with it, it's worked out very well.

I get the dread of losing brass. I covet mine as if it were made of gold.

Thanks for the load and brass prep info. Every little bit helps.

Regarding bullet jump, check out the latest PRB write up on the subject. Lots of data and analysis that makes a pretty strong case on how far to jump and why.

Get an MPA brass catcher. Works awesome.

It’s expensive at $150, but I will save more in brass a year than that.

I get the dread of losing brass. I covet mine as if it were made of gold.

Thanks for the load and brass prep info. Every little bit helps.

Regarding bullet jump, check out the latest PRB write up on the subject. Lots of data and analysis that makes a pretty strong case on how far to jump and why.

BTW, I use nothing but Lapua brass. I have had nothing but consistently good luck with it. I understand there are other, new brands available that are supposed to be very good and I don't dispute that. However, I'm going to stay with what has worked for me.

I'll check out the article, but it's very unlikely that I will do anything any different going forward. The results that I have been getting speak for themselves. I'd hate to risk getting lesser results than what I'm getting now. Once again, I'm not in any way disputing the results that others are getting. That's very cool, I wish them the best and continued success.

IMHO it may be the easiest to load of all the vunder 6s. Mine holds tight groups all over the place, and the velocity nodes are palatial.
I know you mean the bigger hotter rounds but I think the br based stuff are the real wunderkinds

109s with RL-16 has been an excellent combo for me. Nothing to it.

I have been jumping mine 60 thou since I got this barrel and pretty much every single load I’ve tried in it has been single digit SDs.

Mine seems to have settled in at 3030fps, but I’m also running a 29” tube.

I know Lapua brass is THE gold standard, but has anyone tried and directly compared Lapua to Peterson 6x47L? The necking down process isn't too daunting, but I'm wondering if Peterson could possibly be as good as Lapua with no brass prep needed.

I know Lapua brass is THE gold standard, but has anyone tried and directly compared Lapua to Peterson 6x47L? The necking down process isn't too daunting, but I'm wondering if Peterson could possibly be as good as Lapua with no brass prep needed.

The headstamped Peterson stuff has been every bit as consistent as Lapua for me.

My sacrificed case is on its 8th firing and has handled up to 3,100fps multiple times without issue. I annealed it one time, but otherwise just size, clean, load and shoot.

It has no doubt made a world of difference for me not having to brass prep.

Reactions: mahlv
Ive been telling you @samb300 , get that GT barrel punched to 47L !!

Ive been telling you @samb300 , get that GT barrel punched to 47L !!
I'm gonna give it a chance with mag spacers and H4350, or might buy a few pieces of Hornady brass. Problem is I also have like 250 pcs of Alpha brass mandreled and primed, so I gotta shoot those unless someone local would want to buy them F2F.

I'm not going to get tooled up for GT, 6x47L, and 6.5x47L. I know the AI can do it, but I can't handle that many calibers all at once haha, too much other BS taking up space in my mush brain.

Fyi, you’ll have to cut part of the chamber off.

Some of the gt dimensions are larger than 6x47.
Bummer. Not sure that'll be worth the effort/cost to get done, especially with the large tenon on the AI. Especially because I got 2 barrels done.

Might have to suck it up, maybe try some Hornady brass if the Alpha won't play nice.

Bummer. Not sure that'll be worth the effort/cost to get done, especially with the large tenon on the AI. Especially because I got 2 barrels done.

Might have to suck it up, maybe try some Hornady brass if the Alpha won't play nice.

Not trying to derail but from the GT Facebook group it seems like anyone having issues with the GT is mostly related to alpha brass, @samb300. Everyone seems to love the Hornady and it's cheaper.

@BLKWLFK9, didn't you have some problems with alpha Dasher brass? Love the podcast BTW! We need another episode! Have samb on to talk master race AI stuff. You crack me up bro.

I'm cheating on my AI with a bighorn build right now. If my 6GT barrel doesn't work out I may do 6x47. But I have high hopes for the gay tiger since Netflix just released the documentary. ???

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Not trying to derail but from the GT Facebook group it seems like anyone having issues with the GT is mostly related to alpha brass, @samb300. Everyone seems to love the Hornady and it's cheaper.

@BLKWLFK9, didn't you have some problems with alpha Dasher brass? Love the podcast BTW! We need another episode! Have samb on to talk master race AI stuff. You crack me up bro.

I'm cheating on my AI with a bighorn build right now. If my 6GT barrel doesn't work out I may do 6x47. But I have high hopes for the gay tiger since Netflix just released the documentary. ???

Yea, the alpha brass has been finicky and does not parallel load data with lapua at all but I think I've got her dialed now. I appreciate the kind words for the podcast. Just released a mini episode today. Me and @samb300 talk almost daily and hes definitely coming on the podcast fo sho.

Reactions: verdugo60

Ya, alpha is common denominator in 6gt and dasher issues.

Reactions: verdugo60
No issues whatsoever, I found it way easier than 6GT. You just need to use one of the good reamers with extra neck clearance (.274 or .275). The stock Alpha Legacy 6x47 reamer (.274) works good if you dont wanna have one made special. Peterson 6x47 head stamped brass is excellent. It's the best 6mm to match with a 115 class bullet IMO.

As a reference, my (not yours) load is:
115 DTAC @ 2.762" COAL
41.0 of Vihta Vuori N160
Peterson Brass
#450 Primer
27.5" Barrel
3,030 Average Velocity (sample size 178 rounds from 75° - 94°)

I prefer it over Lapua.

My son and I both shoot 6x47s. 38.0 gr h4350 with cci 450s. His is 105 Bergers at 3000ish from a 26”. Mine is 112 match burners at 2850ish out of a 23”. Mine was a 28” running 105s close to 3050 ish. I held my ultra 7 up to it and chopped it off to be the same overall length. My dad also shoots a 6x47 with a 28” pushing 112s at 3000ish. I bought the reamer so…). All 3 are bartlein barrels. .275 neck reamer. Lapua and Peterson shoot interchangeably in our guns. My sons has over 2500 rds on it. I keep wanting to pull it but it’s still shooting and for a 13 yr old shooting WPR matches and prairie dogs it’s good to go. His brass has over 20 loads on it annealed every time it goes into a sizing die. I am going to mess with h4831sc in mine to see what it will do. They are stupid quiet with the ultra 7. I would call it anything but finicky but we haven’t tried to lean on it. All three will shoot the 38gr load inside .5. I think my dad bumped his up to 39.5.
Kyle