• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the money worth the gain

Hold'em high

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
Iam looking at a 300 PRC or a 338 lupua mag is the money worth it , I have read about booth but still not sure which one will fit my want. Looking for something to fit hunting and long range shooting.

Make your title reflect what you want to know.

????, isn’t a very good title

Yes Sir sorry about that...My question is the money shooting a 338 worth it over the 300 PRC in the hunting and long range shooting. I have never stepped up to the 338 and I shoot a 300 win mag for year and now just not sure is the money worth the gain

I understand the question. Just suggesting you edit the title to what your asking. Right now it just says ????. You’ll get more response if you have an actual title

That said. I shoot 2 300 WM’s. I had a 338 LM Mag for several years. Was a nice gun. I sold it because I used the 300 more because I have a TBAC Ultra 9 in 30 cal and preferred suppressed shooting. The 338 was also a lot longer and heavier. Which made it harder to transport or carry in a field etc

The 300 will do everything I need in a hunting rifle well beyond 1,000 yards. Taking ethics and what not into play. The 300 (even the WM) is capable of hitting targets beyond a mile easily. 338 is also very impressive at a higher price.

Last edited:
if you want it get it , if you can afford it .

Thanks ......just not sure the money worth the gain in ballistics. From what Iam reading the 300prc is no more than a Weatherby type set up but just in a 375 ruger is that true. That said will the 300prc out perform the weatherby

At what range and what are you shooting?

JBM ballistics has a great, free, detailed calculator that you can enter in all the info for the different chambers and decide for yourself

I would suggest that the .300 PRC would be a better choice for a mix of both hunting & target shooting.
Unless you are hunting something really big that specifically would go down quicker with a .338

Think of the .300 PRC as a .300WM with extra power.
The .338 is going to be in the .300 Norma / .338 Norma / .338LM class and has quite a bit more energy, but at the expense of a lot more recoil, a heavier rifle system generally and ammunition that is a lot bulkier.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Iam looking at a 300 PRC or a 338 lupua mag is the money worth it , I have read about booth but still not sure which one will fit my want. Looking for something to fit hunting and long range shooting.

.300 PRC is going to make more sense IMO. You can keep a 1.350" diameter action and relatively lightweight rifle that will work much better for hunting. Stepping up action and barrel diameters to run 338 Lapua will be heavier, and probably more costly.

Thanks ......just not sure the money worth the gain in ballistics. From what Iam reading the 300prc is no more than a Weatherby type set up but just in a 375 ruger is that true. That said will the 300prc out perform the weatherby

The .300 PRC and .300 wby are similar in terms of velocity, but the SAAMI .300 PRC throat is much more conducive to accuracy, and the PRC will get the velocity with less powder (more efficient).

Without even reading the first post, my thought was "rarely is the money worth the small gain"; but we rarely make decisions like that.

After reading the question fully. No the 338 won't be worth the extra money. In fact it will be less versatile overall with significantly less projectiles to choose from. If you want to 338 though, then get one. For hunting it's not going to be an improvement over the 300PRC or a 300 Norma.

I would think the 300PRC would be best for you, unless you're going to be hunting some very large and thick skinned game.

.300 PRC is going to make more sense IMO. You can keep a 1.350" diameter action and relatively lightweight rifle that will work much better for hunting. Stepping up action and barrel diameters to run 338 Lapua will be heavier, and probably more costly.

The .300 PRC and .300 wby are similar in terms of velocity, but the SAAMI .300 PRC throat is much more conducive to accuracy, and the PRC will get the velocity with less powder (more efficient).

This^^^

According to Hornady when you handload the 300 PRC with their new 250gr A-TIP's it'll smoke a 338LM. Not only that but you can buy factory Hornady 225gr ELD 300PRC ammo for $32.50/box compared to $66.05/box for factory Hornady 285gr ELD for 338LM. That factory ammo is 95% of the performance of 338LM at 1/2 the price and the 300PRC leaves you the option to handload the A-TIP's and outperform a 338LM whenever you wish to do so.

https://www.foundryoutdoors.com/pro...-eld-match-20-bx-10-cs?variant=21244805185620

https://carolinamunitions.com/horna...285-gr-eld-match-120-rounds.html?asaid=as0004

Last edited:
Why settle, buy both...

That being said both cartridges have a lot going for them. The 338LM has a plethora of support options in rifles, bullets, brass, and loaded ammo.

The 300PRC is more than likely going to fill the bill for anything you ask from it, and hand loading will offer more bullet options than you know what to do with. However, Hornady is the only option at the moment for brass and their brass is known for being soft. The brass could hurt you on high end performance or brass life - one or the other you can't have both. If you have a rifle with a magnum bolt face that needs a new barrel, this option is a no brainer.

Did you decide on what to do? I'm still on the fence about this too honestly. 300 PRC is currently half the price of .338 lapua almost the same ballistics with less recoil. The only problem is I can't find the ammo in stock anywhere. It's a new caliber so it's a gamble to see if it catches on.