• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Norma Match and Norma Tac Projectile The Same?

Yeetdude

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Picked a bad time to get into .22lr matches, I've been able to gather up a brick of Norma Tac. I am having a hard time finding a BC or info on the Norma Tac load. I've seen some data on the Norma Match and wonder if they share the same projectile or if I can use any of the Norma Match data. Or if anyone has decent info for Norma Tac be great to hear.

Good question...

Published BC shows 0.132 for both on one retailer, 0.15 on another.
It would appear y'er going to test and verify to find the right answer.

Break out the chronograph.

canvas.png

NormaTac22.jpg

720678_ts.jpg

c53c5ef38c7cc5859ed5892c2a009914.jpg

Last edited:
Picked a bad time to get into .22lr matches, I've been able to gather up a brick of Norma Tac. I am having a hard time finding a BC or info on the Norma Tac load. I've seen some data on the Norma Match and wonder if they share the same projectile or if I can use any of the Norma Match data. Or if anyone has decent info for Norma Tac be great to hear.

While I don't "know" that they're the "same" projectile, I highly suspect that they are and that the difference is really just a matter of quality sorting that is done at the plant like we often see like with the difference between Center-X and Midas cartridges. So, if you have data for the Norma Match, I'd bet you can use it for the Norma Tac.

If it helps at all, take a look at some data I have on the two and maybe that'll give you some idea:

Norma Match and Tach.jpg

While I don't "know" that they're the "same" projectile, I highly suspect that they are and that the difference is really just a matter of quality sorting that is done at the plant like we often see like with the difference between Center-X and Midas cartridges. So, if you have data for the Norma Match, I'd bet you can use it for the Norma Tac.

If it helps at all, take a look at some data I have on the two and maybe that'll give you some idea:

View attachment 7616420
This does help thank you, that's pretty impressive.

Good question...

Published BC shows 0.132 for both on one retailer, 0.15 on another.
It would appear y'er going to test and verify to find the right answer.

Break out the chronograph.

canvas.png

NormaTac22.jpg

720678_ts.jpg

c53c5ef38c7cc5859ed5892c2a009914.jpg
I've been fudd'n with my ballistic app, I have a BC of .126 pluged in for now. Don't know what to trust lol, I feel like like that .132 seems more likey since to be the middle ground.

Strelok lists tac at .15 and all the rest of the Norma at .132

I didn't mess with it much, gave 2 bricks away because it shot like shit in my rifles, but was great in my BIL's 10/22.

I bought 4 bricks of the TAC thinking that if it shot good in any of the rifles I've got custom barrels on, it would be a great deal at that price ($4.29/50). And if it didn't, I could burn it up in new Benchmark & Shilen bbls on my two V22S rifles in preparation to getting them both tested at Lapua this winter, as opposed to shooting up my dwindling supply of SK & Lapua ammo just for that purpose. The TAC shot good enough to practice on the 50yd smallbore target with the prone V22S, so it really was a good enough buy for the price. Haven't put any of it through the Benchmark 3 groove on the BR/F-class V22S yet, so only time will tell in that case. I should probably buy a few more bricks of it - if for no other reason than to find out how much lot-to-lot difference there is in it. It also shoots good enough to practice with in the Shilen ratchet I put on a CZ457 VPT, and that rifle's bolt is easier to close on TAC than any of my V22 repeaters are. Seems odd, since I chambered all the bbls on those rifles with the same EPS reamer, and set headspace at .043" on them all.

I've got cases of SK Std+ & Rifle Match on backorder, with no clue when my numbers will come up and I'll receive either or both. The two bricks of Norma Match are supposed to get here by this Thursday, so perhaps I'll have a chance to shoot some of it by next weekend... It would be interesting to shoot some of both TAC & Match over the chronograph at 100yds to see how the two grades POI might differ. From what I've seen of the TAC so far, I doubt I'd be all that happy with its accuracy beyond 100...

I recently pickup 4 bricks of Tac from Texas ammo for $38 a brick. Shipping wasn’t to bad. Think it was around $178 for 4 bricks shipped.