• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Razor G2 the best value in "MID" tier optics right now?

^Ex. For me, the difference between the NX8 and the Razor G2 competitive set (XTR3, MK5HD, Cronus, Trij/Delta, etc.) is huge, but is less than the difference between the Razor G2 and the ZCO 527 - in terms of image quality as well as most everything else.

I'd throw Athlons top tier offering into the mix....Cronus BTR Gen2. Made in the same facility as the Razor Gen2.

People throw that around all the time like it actually means something.

I work in manufacturing, we make pistol frames (among other things). Two similar pistol frames but for different customers and they will have VERY different quality standards and acceptance levels.

I work in manufacturing, we make pistol frames (among other things). Two similar pistol frames but for different customers and they will have VERY different quality standards and acceptance levels.
That may be so, but I just picked up a Cronus 4.5-29 and am quite impressed.
There are certainly differences in execution, but in all reality, they are more similar than different.
I don't have a Razor 2 to compare it to, but I do remember comparing a Gen 1 Cronus to a Razor 2. They were very close, and it seemed the Cronus edged out the Razor, with the new Gen 2 Cronus, I believe that the Cronus beats the Razor.

That may be so, but I just picked up a Cronus 4.5-29 and am quite impressed.
There are certainly differences in execution, but in all reality, they are more similar than different.
I don't have a Razor 2 to compare it to, but I do remember comparing a Gen 1 Cronus to a Razor 2. They were very close, and it seemed the Cronus edged out the Razor, with the new Gen 2 Cronus, I believe that the Cronus beats the Razor.
I think most would disagree with you (I know I do), but that doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with it.

I think most would disagree with you (I know I do), but that doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with it.
Which is exactly why I prefaced it with "I believe". (y)
That is also why the "how's the glass" questions can't really be answered by someone else. My old, feeble eyes really appreciate the glass in the Athlon, but in all fairness, I think the glass in my Sightron SVSSED 4.5-24 beats it. BUT, the Athlon has capabilities the Sightron doesn't.
Both the Vortex and the Athlon are excellent scopes and there are even more choices available. I strongly considered the Tract Toric 4.5-30.

Then "Made in China" technically makes no difference either....so get the highest end model made there, save your money, and be confident in your equipment........yeah sure, let us know how that works out for you.

• Haha
Reactions: godofthunder
Then "Made in China" technically makes no difference either....so get the highest end model made there, save your money, and be confident in your equipment........yeah sure, let us know how that works out for you.
Top tier Vortex and Athlon are actually made in Japan. The rest of their scopes are made in China.

I'd throw Athlons top tier offering into the mix....Cronus BTR Gen2. Made in the same facility as the Razor Gen2.
I second this notion, I have a buddy who has gotten a Cronus gen 2 for sub $1400 recently. The razor gen 2 is a great scope as well but I don't see $300 in upside. XTR 3 would also be a good choice as well.

Cowpokey....I know, that was called sarcasm.

I compared the Gen1 Cronus to a Vortex AMG, side by side....theres a thread or post on it with pictures from several years ago if you're into digging for it. The end result was selling the AMG, buying a 2nd Cronus BTR, and pocketing the extra $1k. Not saying the Cronus is better....I just liked it better.

Paid $1,739 + tax for a Razor Gen III with mil discount at a&a optics. So, if you're eligible, don't pay that for the last version.

PST aren't the top of the line Vortex. I didn't know they were made in the PI though. Thanks for the info.
You said the rest of their scopes were made in china, merely correcting you.
FWIW Athlon does NOT have any philippine or south korean made optics.
I wish more companies would start using the Philippines and South Korea instead of China.

Last edited:
You said the rest of their scopes were made in china, merely correcting you.
FWIW Athlon does NOT have any philippine or southern korean made optics.
I wish more companies would start using the Philippines and South Korea instead of China.
I said "thanks for the info"...in case you're hard of reading, that meant thanks for correcting me.

Some of y'all are wound a little too tight. :rolleyes:

I said "thanks for the info"...in case you're hard of reading, that meant thanks for correcting me.

Some of y'all are wound a little too tight. :rolleyes:
Inflection is impossible to gage on the interwebs.
Ease up there, cowboy. ;)

Cronus BTR is just as good or better than the razor g2 in my opinion. Doesn’t weigh as much and is cheaper new. I paid less than 1400$ new for both my Cronus BTR’s. I have the original cronus btr and gen 2, for the money I think they can’t be beat in my opinion of course.

Reactions: Kg33
Cronus BTR is just as good or better than the razor g2 in my opinion. Doesn’t weigh as much and is cheaper new. I paid less than 1400$ new for both my Cronus BTR’s. I have the original cronus btr and gen 2, for the money I think they can’t be beat in my opinion of course.
The g2 is $ 1600 from Scott like everyone knows by now.

Would you mind sharing where I could purchase the Cronus btr gen2 for less than $1400 ?

Thank you

For the money, even at a premium, Razor for me. I think it’s the best bang for the buck period. Beyond the Razor you start going deeply into the law of diminishing returns.

Last edited:
My razor gen 2 does all I need it to and more. Yes a z comp would be nice but I don't competition shoot. I'm not behind it all day. I didn't have to sell my ferrari to get it. And it just fucking works. Heavy but I haven't regretted buying it. My main goal was a clear scope with good tracking and held zero. It's does all that. If I was shooting at 11.375 miles then I could justify a better top tier scope, but to1500, I'm good

Razor gen 2 is nice! But have you used an Cronus BTR? I've used both. They are very comparable. Haven't broke my Cronus. I have 2 of them now.. Just saying I would put the Cronus BTR against a razor any day. I wouldn't turn a razor down either. Its just worth considering. Have one on my 6.5 cm and one on my 300prc. I like Athlon reticles too. Atleast for me and my eyes I wouldn't hesitate. Tracks fantastic and has a no questions asked lifetime warranty as well.

For a great deal on a Cronus BTR Gen2, hit up Frank Maduro at Black Mountain Optics.....should be under $1400 shipped. Tell him Chris M referred you.

Reactions: Dbspaded7
With Fed/Mil pricing look at the MK5. The only complaint I have with them is the Reticle selection but they are great scopes for the money.
So where the fuck are all you getting these cheap Leupolds? I have the same deal and their MSRP is so goddamn high I need the 45% off just to bring the price down to "normal" levels. When a Mk5 5-25x is $5500 MSRP, ~$3k ain't that great of deal on one. Forget the Mk8. I had to give up on Leupold.

Now ATACR is nice but if I'm honest a new one compares pretty close to an older USO of similar range. They'll take care of you but that's all I can really say about it.

So where the fuck are all you getting these cheap Leupolds? I have the same deal and their MSRP is so goddamn high I need the 45% off just to bring the price down to "normal" levels. When a Mk5 5-25x is $5500 MSRP, ~$3k ain't that great of deal on one. Forget the Mk8. I had to give up on Leupold.

Now ATACR is nice but if I'm honest a new one compares pretty close to an older USO of similar range. They'll take care of you but that's all I can really say about it.
The VIP program is from leupold’s website only. I’m guessing you don’t have the same deal or you haven’t looked in a while.

ATACR and USO FDN are in a different price category as far as I’m concerned.

In regards to the rest of this thread- I’m not sure I’ve made the right choice with the mk 5 HD. I don’t have it yet, and I don’t have tons of riflescope optic expertise. I have a bit more experience with camera lenses, so I may never know what I’m missing out on.

Additionally, I do think that the vortex probably does represent the best value in mid tier optics. With the used prices for these mid tier optics not being that far off street prices it seems you can always move a scope you don’t like for whatever reason with relative ease.

The Rzr G2 are nice but look through it and the XTR3 before buying.

The Rzr G2 are nice but look through it and the XTR3 before buying.
In terms of value I think the differences between the two would come down to personal weight of each characteristic being considered.

The good news for us is that this price point has several solid choices!

Damn, Razor has been kicked down to “mid tier” ey? You must be stupid rich.
I was kind of wondering about that myself. I wouldn't personally call a razor mid tier, but I guess I am coming at this from the bottom and working my way up to acceptable and serviceable. I also don't drive an audi a7 as a daily driver.

I was kind of wondering about that myself. I wouldn't personally call a razor mid tier, but I guess I am coming at this from the bottom and working my way up to acceptable and serviceable. I also don't drive an audi a7 as a daily driver.
When the likes of zco and TT exist... yeah, it’s mid tier. No price subjectivity is needed.

Well since those might be considered the supercars of scopes, I don't think they would even make the list for normal people. To me 1700 is over the midway point. What would you consider a mid-range car?

Reactions: hk dave
The Mk5 is 2K with rings, with the nice PR2 reticle, from CS tactical, a vendor here (nothing but awesome reviews). I actually returned mine after looking through it because I like the XTR3 more for this tier.

Well since those might be considered the supercars of scopes, I don't think they would even make the list for normal people. To me 1700 is over the midway point. What would you consider a mid-range car?
I hear you, but that’s completely subjective. What if the absolute max my budget allows is $1000 or $500? Objectively these are mid tier scopes.

The Mk5 is 2K with rings, with the nice PR2 reticle, from CS tactical, a vendor here (nothing but awesome reviews). I actually returned mine after looking through it because I like the XTR3 more for this tier.
Now that’s an idea!

There are some 5.5x30 on gunbroker for $1509 but they started charging tax so might could get a better deal from a sponser here. I know MKM was selling them.

I run the mk5hd 7-35 with cch reticle. Only shot my first match with it this weekend, switched from a razor HD gen2 ebr-2c. Love it. Really impressed with it and glad I did it. Had the gen2 for 3 years, and adapting to the mk5hd real easy.

I guess it depends. Optically probably yes. As much as I loved my G2 razors over the years I no longer own one. For bench guns, PRS rigs and gamer guns, it’s the best mid tier IMHO. At this point in my life guns that are more practical and “handy” rifles are more appealing to me than 18+ lbs race guns or bench rifles. It took me awhile to move away and weight didn’t used to matter to me, but weight and durability/function has moved to the top and I think other scopes like the 4-32 NX8 and MK5 do it well enough that the extra pound and a half isn’t worth it anymore (again that’s TO ME).

Kinda surprised there's no love for the Trijicon AccuPower/TenMile here. Only saw 1 brief mention.

Granted, I've only owned 1 Razor, and sold it without ever mounting it. I really like the Trijicons for this price range. Currently have 5 of them, and about $1750 +tax is the most I've paid.

Kinda surprised there's no love for the Trijicon AccuPower/TenMile here. Only saw 1 brief mention.

Granted, I've only owned 1 Razor, and sold it without ever mounting it. I really like the Trijicons for this price range. Currently have 5 of them, and about $1750 +tax is the most I've paid.

My Trijicon 5-50 (Delta clone) has the best image quality of the tier to my eyes (better than Mk5, XTR3, Cronus, RazorG2), but doesn't have the FOV of the XTR3. To me, very little separates the best of the $2K tier, so pick the features and level of contrast/brightness that you like/prefer.

Honestly, I meant to look into these more but didn’t...

My Trijicon 5-50 (Delta clone) has the best image quality of the tier to my eyes (better than Mk5, XTR3, Cronus, RazorG2), but doesn't have the FOV of the XTR3. To me, very little separates the best of the $2K tier, so pick the features and level of contrast/brightness that you like/prefer.
Mine are all 4.5-30 and FFP.

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to that has shot past 1200 yards has said said from there out to 1 mile plus there is a notable difference in picture clarity from vortex/NF NXS/ whatever tier 2/3 stuff to S&B. My mate who isn't fussed on showing off expensive toys if cheaper stuff works but will pay for good gear (owns AI switch barrels and has worked through various Porches and a lambo and now owns a Unimog for camping & hunting) made it clear that an S&B at 25 power was obviously better than his NSX at 32 power at a mile.

If only shooting to 1000 yards it probably doesn't matter, I have had no issues shooting to 900 yards with 50mm objective Chinese made scopes on F class targets or spotting bullet splash from 6.5cm at that distance on the burm for "fouling" shots when switching factory ammo to confirm bullet drop. Horses for courses, but saying there isn't an appreciable difference or it is the same as TT, S&B or ZCO is stupid.

Pretty much everyone I have spoken to that has shot past 1200 yards has said said from there out to 1 mile plus there is a notable difference in picture clarity from vortex/NF NXS/ whatever tier 2/3 stuff to S&B. My mate who isn't fussed on showing off expensive toys if cheaper stuff works but will pay for good gear (owns AI switch barrels and has worked through various Porches and a lambo and now owns a Unimog for camping & hunting) made it clear that an S&B at 25 power was obviously better than his NSX at 32 power at a mile.

If only shooting to 1000 yards it probably doesn't matter, I have had no issues shooting to 900 yards with 50mm objective Chinese made scopes on F class targets or spotting bullet splash from 6.5cm at that distance on the burm for "fouling" shots when switching factory ammo to confirm bullet drop. Horses for courses, but saying there isn't an appreciable difference or it is the same as TT, S&B or ZCO is stupid.
That’s why there’s a discussion here about the best mid-tier scope. As you said if you aren’t shooting past 1200 yards with regularity (most prs style shooters) it won’t matter as much. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say the upper tier scopes are not better? Especially not when it comes to optical quality.

I think the whole spirit of this thread recognizes that “sure, better scopes exist, but I’d like to buy a middle of the road scope that offers the most value for the money.”