• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

is the remmy 5r the best buy for the money stock?

chaser_2332

Team copper creek
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2009
Campbellsville ky
first off let me say i love this sight and can read for hours,and because of that no real need to post hence the low post count. So i'm not new to shooting by any means but i'm a little green when it comes to shooting precision long range, around 400 yards is my max as of now. i'm wanting to get another rifle to take care of the job. i have been through several remingtons and love the way they feel so i'm leaning towards the 5r i like the HS stock and i already have a few so seams a good fit, so in your humble oppinon is this a solid choice for somone who is going to leave the gun stock for a while?.....sorry for long post

Re: is the remmy 5r the best buy for the money stock?

If you wanna stay around $1,000.I`d say yes an think you`d be happy with it.

Re: is the remmy 5r the best buy for the money sto

i'm looking to stay around $1000-$1500 on the rifle that way i can afford the give the new stick some glass it deserves

The 5R model seems to sell very well.
While I have read a very few complaints here mostly QC), I have read many more with good reviews.
I owned one in 300 WM for a little while but never shot it. Got rifle ADD real bad!
But the guy who bought it from said it shot good.
Oh, it's easy on the eyes too!

I cant stand the HS Precision stocks so my opinion may not be worth anything but heres what I did

If you've got around 1500 to spend for the whole shebang...

600 --- SPS Tactical
500 --- Used McMillan Stock
500 --- Bushnell elite 4200
100 --- Rings/Base

1700 bucks and you'll have a rifle with a much nicer stock thatll shoot great and a decent piece of glass.

The 5R would be a good one to get. Also look at the XCR Tactical. Pretty much same price range with a few differences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">first off let me say i love this sight and can read for hours,and because of that no real need to post hence the low post count. So i'm not new to shooting by any means but i'm a little green when it comes to shooting precision long range, around 400 yards is my max as of now. i'm wanting to get another rifle to take care of the job. i have been through several remingtons and love the way they feel so i'm leaning towards the 5r i like the HS stock and i already have a few so seams a good fit, so in your humble oppinon is this a solid choice for somone who is going to leave the gun stock for a while?.....sorry for long post </div></div>

Excellent rifle brother. As long as you are okay with the stainless barrel. I have a Remington 700 XCR in .270, which I use for deer and elk, which is stainless. However, I wanted a full black rifle for my .308, and so I went with the 700 Police.

I bought a 5r about a year ago and have loved it ever since. I did some cosmetic work to mine and thats about it. It shoots wonderfully so long as I feed it the bullets worthy of flying and drive it like I'm half way paying attention. I have come to like the stock on it. It's not a McMillan, Manners, or AICS, but it does what it's supposed to for me. One day I might get the urge to upgrade, but for the mean time I see no need to go above and beyond what the 5r provides me. My advice would be to get one, and then go shoot it without worrying about what could have been if you had sold a kidney.

Edit -- Mine is a 308. When I wear out the barrel I'll consider 260 rem or something of that nature but 308 is popular and works well.

-King

look at it this way.$1000 for the rifel and $500 for a good scope,rings and base.for me I bought the EGW 20 moa base and the Leupold PRW rings for all three of my 5Rs.and seem like the Nikon BM 6-18x40 target scope.and that will fit your budget just right.but hey this is something I did/like for my set up.

and to add to this all three 223,308,and the 300wm shoot great right out of the box.its just that all three of mine have never seen a factory load.the have all been loaded for from the start.the best thing about the 5R is that we 5R guys have already done the home work for you.we either know what factory ammo shoots best or what hand loads shoot the best.and for me I have yet seen one 5R not shoot what another 5R can.it just might take a little tweeking of the load but thats it.most of the time you just need to load up what the other 5R guy is loading and go shoot.again this is just an opinion of the 5R.for me if I could afford a custom I would get one built.but after looking around and hearing about the 5R I just had to see what was up.and I never looaked back just bought the other two cals that was offered.

im also in the process of upgrading my sps to a full on target machine. mine has the sporter barrel so im getting a B&C medalist varmint and obviously switching to heavy bull barrel but i want a 5r anyone know where i can get one?

Thanks guys I'm thinking the 5r is the way to go $1000 for the rifle and hopefully find a nightforce for around $1200-1500 and I'm all set

I bought mine and put it in a ai stock. It was a great gun. So good that my buddy wanted it bad and bought it from me. No prob cause I had an sps already. The sps is pretty much as good of gun but in ss. I got an ai ae after selling the 5r. I really liked my rem but love my ai. You won't be sorry with the 5r.

So with that last message are you saying the sps and 5r are very comparable in reguards to accuracy and quality?

I purchased my 5R in feb, you cant go wrong with that rifle. Took some serious coin to get it outfitted the way I do but its worth it. Last weekend i shot a .264 moa 3-shot group @100. My buddy has a 700P and has trouble keeping up with my rig. I would definitely say go with the 5R or you will leave yourself wondering what if.