• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is the Steyr SSG-69 PII a good all around rifle?

ueb_30

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
TN
Looking to buy my first and only bolt action rifle. One that is versatile and will last a lifetime. I have read the barrel is very well made, also heard its extremely accurate. Only issues I see right now are the magazines are impossible to find..and the stock is made from cheap plastic? If anyone has some experience with these rifles it would be greatly appreciated. Also considering the t3x ctr a1

They have a well made action that is smooth and reliable, high quality and generally very accurate barrel but it is carbon steel and will rust, and the single shoe trigger is an excellent trigger. However with that said the stock as mentioned leaves a bit to be desired, but the big problem is the rotary plastic magazine and trigger guard assembly. They both will crack on you at some point. There is very little aftermarket support for these rifles, a few conversions have been made to use AICS mags and McMillan made a stock for them but with all but one version (that was super rare) having pressed barrels not many gunsmiths are willing to install a barrel.

IMO they are not a great 1st precision rifle. I have owned a few and like them for what they are, but a daily driver they are not...

They have a well made action that is smooth and reliable, high quality and generally very accurate barrel but it is carbon steel and will rust, and the single shoe trigger is an excellent trigger. However with that said the stock as mentioned leaves a bit to be desired, but the big problem is the rotary plastic magazine and trigger guard assembly. They both will crack on you at some point. There is very little aftermarket support for these rifles, a few conversions have been made to use AICS mags and McMillan made a stock for them but with all but one version (that was super rare) having pressed barrels not many gunsmiths are willing to install a barrel.

IMO they are not a great 1st precision rifle. I have owned a few and like them for what they are, but a daily driver they are not...
I agree there are better choices today. It was good choice 30 years ago. Look at Tikka, Sako S20 or the Seekins Havak

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
does the barrel life of a .308 greatly exceed that of a 6.5 creedmore? Also, what do you think about the Franchi momentum, Zastava m70, or the Savage Axis models? Basically I want something less than $1500, with good accuracy, a long life, and doesnt feel cheap

Last edited:
Where are you from? Based on the models you’re listing I’m guessing not the USA

Here a savage axis is a 300 dollar rifle, I sure wouldn’t drop 1500 on one, or any of those you listed but different locations may have different options

Yeah, the options sounds very European or he likes obscure rifles. However, his information says he's from Tennessee.

Where are you from? Based on the models you’re listing I’m guessing not the USA

Here a savage axis is a 300 dollar rifle, I sure wouldn’t drop 1500 on one, or any of those you listed but different locations may have different options..
Nashville.. my budget is 1500 max. I am just looking for a good all around rifle that shoots accurately, and doesn’t feel like a plastic toy gun.
And I do like several American model guns .. Remington 700 looks good but I hear it has a cheap feel to it.. also the Winchester model 70 featherweight seems nice. And how are brownings

In my opinion it's still a nice not to heavy rifle.
If you can buy one cheap enough it could be a nice starter.
In europe they sometimes go for 400-1000 euro.
Barrels last long but mags and triggerguard are a weak point.

Years ago I owned the P11K which was a 20" version and I loved that rifle.Real good shooter and I liked the 5rd rotary magazines but the trigger guard was fragile.

Correct. But, regarding the rather fragile SSG 69 Mag Well/Triggerguards, help is now available.

Just ask Dr. Strangelove_207 here.

Yes the alu triggerguard from him is a nice upgrade for a decent price!

Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
Tikka TAC A1,CTR, or Super Varmint.
Like any barrel, wear will be according to how hot a load you put through it.
Don't forget a decent scope.
You'll probably end up like the rest of us pellet drivers..... on the insane pursuit of further, tighter, hits.
Beats wasting money on cocaine.
You'll end up with crazy mates, and a decent tan.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

Are you using it as a hunting rifle that you will plink with occasionally or are you wanting to shoot PRS? Or something in between?

Why do you want to buy a rifle designed in 1969 when you can buy a rifle designed in 21 century?
Get yourself a tikka ctr or varmint or savage axis or howa 1500 and forget the steyr.

Did someone say Tikka?😍
FTdhk8aXs4tEs.gif

Why do you want to buy a rifle designed in 1969 when you can buy a rifle designed in 21 century?
Get yourself a tikka ctr or varmint or savage axis or howa 1500 and forget the steyr.
Since bolt rifles are basically 1890's tech even today, not sure what's 21st century about any of them. Might get better material, but that's about it.

T3x Hunter?Fluted?
Fluted barrels are good.
Why wood or laminate, when plastic composites never alter?
If it's a straight hunting rifle you are looking for, just go the Sako S20.
It'll piss all over the Steyr.
It's modern, well designed, and looks the ducks nuts.
Anyhow, have a great Christmas.

arent rifles made back in the day of much better build quality? I think I may pull the trigger on this one

Last edited:
Yesterday I cracked the green stock on my 40 yr old SSG 69. Luckily I was able to locate a black stock from a local guy. Will pick it up tomorrow. McMillan website doesn’t list SSG 69 stock anymore so the supply of parts will diminish. Hopefully someone will start making after market parts someday. There must be tens of thousand 69 out there that eventually will need replacement parts.

Styria Arm from Germany makes a terrific bottom metal for SSG 69 that uses AICS mags. Will cost about $600 to import into the US but at least the solution for the weak magazine setup is out there.

I think Steyr Mannlicher (now Steyr) is a company that lives in the past. Whenever I come across these guys- usually during IWA in Nurnberg- I see this fixation over their glorious past. They always come dressed in their fancy traditional Austrian vests and approach you with the Steyr-attitude (we make the best shit in the world, which is obviously not true). I do not see this at Sauer or Browning. So, let set the record straight: Steyr did not produce any rifle that would be a market success for the last 20 years.

I think Steyr Mannlicher (now Steyr) is a company that lives in the past.
Agreed. If they had invested in upgrading SSG 69, they would have been able to capitalize on this legendary rifle into the 21st century. Instead, they chose to develop a new line (SSG 04 then SSG 08) at ridiculous price points. SSG 04/08 are just slightly beefed up Pro Hunter rifles sold for $600-700. Why would someone pay $4000 for a SSG 08?

All this aside, SSG 69 will remain a legend forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
If you want to spend that kind of money, I'd get a Sako, personally (just not in a short magnum because they have ejection issues with some scopes).

If I needed to get a Steyr for my only rifle, I'd get me one of those Scouts. Those are sweet. I'd get it in 6.5 Creedmor, too. In fact, I plan to.

I do have a Steyr Pro Hunter I in 30-06 that is very accurate but the trigger has some creep if you pull slow and, for the price of them, that's not acceptable. Eventually I will drum up the energy to send it to Steyr for them to address it, since this particular trigger isn't user-serviceable. The action is not as smooth as my Tikka rifles (and, in turn, likely not as smooth as a Sako). Don't get me wrong, it's smooth but not like its riding on a slide of KY like the Tikkas. The unique Steyr bolt handle design is clever but also stupid because it forces you to mount the scope higher than you need to so the bolt handle, while decocked, will clear the scope. A style over function design. The safety design is snazzy, but it's just overkill.

I bought it because it was the only rifle I've ever just picked up and it fit me like a glove and was balanced right for me. I can fire off-shoulder with my Steyr Pro Hunter better than any other rifle I've shot. For some reason very easy to stabilize. It has a longer length of pull than most.

On mine, I have one of those ATN X-SIGHT 4K optics on it... kind of a gimmick but figured what the hell... maybe I'll record a harvest!

The SSG and AUG are legendary firearms.
AUG has a nightmare trigger and a nightmare stock. Zero ergonomics. I shot this thing multiple times and never was impressed. If I had to choose between an AUG and a mid-priced AR-15, I would choose an AR in a heart beat.

SSG 04 and SSG 08 is so` overpriced that it is a waste of time to discuss it. They produce decent rifles for hunters and they never make a real attempt to extend their consumer base. Their client is a German, Austrian or East European middle/upper- class hunter educated and raised by his grandfather (a hunter) who owned a Mannlicher. So, their selling strategy is based on nostalgy. End of story.

AUG has a nightmare trigger and a nightmare stock. Zero ergonomics. I shot this thing multiple times and never was impressed. If I had to choose between an AUG and a mid-priced AR-15, I would choose an AR in a heart beat.

SSG 04 and SSG 08 is so` overpriced that it is a waste of time to discuss it. They produce decent rifles for hunters and they never make a real attempt to extend their consumer base. Their client is a German, Austrian or East European middle/upper- class hunter educated and raised by his grandfather (a hunter) who owned a Mannlicher. So, their selling strategy is based on nostalgy. End of story.
Don’t disagree but they were great designs 30 plus years ago.

The most elusive thing in the world is a factory rifle that scratches the jack-of-all-trades itch. I’ve tried a couple times. Closest I got was a Tikka T3x...you might start there. Otherwise, I’d take my 1500 and buy a Mack Bros action, a pre-fit barrel and the stock of your choice. I resist the urge to do that very thing damn near every day, in fact. Alternatively, if you catch a sale/discount/coupon/pre-owned, you can likely get a Seekins PH2 for the money.

My T3x was 600 or so here and is in-line for about 900 dollars of upgrades (new stock, bottom metal for the same). If I’ve learned anything, it’s that starting with a factory rifle damn sure doesn’t save you money.

Reactions: yej0001
I think Steyr Mannlicher (now Steyr) is a company that lives in the past. Whenever I come across these guys- usually during IWA in Nurnberg- I see this fixation over their glorious past. They always come dressed in their fancy traditional Austrian vests and approach you with the Steyr-attitude (we make the best shit in the world, which is obviously not true). I do not see this at Sauer or Browning. So, let set the record straight: Steyr did not produce any rifle that would be a market success for the last 20 years.
I wouldn’t say they live in the past.They’re not afraid to try new things . They were one of the first few that got on the 260 rem. bandwagon along time ago. Albeit it was a 1 in 9 twist..They’re safe action roller safety with two position magazine was innovative worked well but I thought had too many parts. I had three of them along time ago..The pro hunter stock was too flimsy and supposedly hard to rebarrel but tikka had nothing on them in the accuracy dept. and didn’t have the speed penalty that tikka’s have..Also believe they had the finest two stage triggers on them.Having said all that I got rid of them mainly because of the stock issue and no aftermarket stocks..I believe they’re the oldest gun manufacture in the world and are very steeped in tradition but I don’t hold that against them that they remember their roots and tradition. Not for everybody and not the cheapest option....but I sure miss that walnut stocked 20 inch barrel 260 rem....

I re-evaluated my needs and bit the bullet and just purchased this gun. Will buy a scope for it and turn it into a long range sniper..thanks for all the tips and recomendations

Reactions: NavyshooterM40
Lol, a no-one with the user name "oldmauser" preaching about Steyr being stuck in the past! Irony thy name is..... Anyway guy ask about bolt action rifles and then says he bought an ar15 for sniper duty, lol....

It's always amusing to read ad personam arguments when there are no substantial arguments. There is no better proof of rhetorical failure. Enlighten us guys with your knowledge of steyr mannlicher, please.

Reactions: yej0001
This post/thread is very suspect. Possibly a creative way to link outside sales.

Lol, a no-one with the user name "oldmauser" preaching about Steyr being stuck in the past! Irony thy name is..... Anyway guy ask about bolt action rifles and then says he bought an ar15 for sniper duty, lol....
Referring to someone as a "no-one".
Didn't realise your opinion was worth anything either.
Rude fucker.

Get the CTR.
If you like to shoot with it in the range, do not buy light barrel rifle.
CTR barrel keeps the accuracy even you put full 10-rounds in the mag and shoot.
Hunting rifle like the Hunter, it´s good for couple of shots, but when the barrel starts to be warm, the accuracy is off.
CTR has also alloy made bottom metal, teflon coated bolt, slick as fuck.
Picatinny rail and over sized bolt know, and it is threaded 5/8X24.
If you do not like the factory stock, there are a lot of different models to choose, Tikka is very versatile rifle.

arent rifles made back in the day of much better build quality? I think I may pull the trigger on this one

Just wanted to add for other readers down the road, having owned a few CZ 550’s and still having one, they are heavy, robust actions and seem to be well built, but there is very little aftermarket support for them. Luckily the ones I’ve owned have shot really well, and the barrels lasted a long time, even on the 22-250. But just so few options in the way of customization. Metric threads, very few scope ring options for the square double bridge receiver, the single set trigger needed to be replaced with a Timney, proprietary mags, and the only decent aftermarket stock I could find was the McM A5, which is still in que to be built. It will be nice when it’s done but I’d not recommend one if you ever want to upgrade it, it’s kind of a pain.