• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Winchester 52C still competitive

Promod66

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2020
Charlotte, NC
I was given a 1955 Winchester 52C with a Urtel 16x that I absolutely love shooting, my question is if this would be competitive in a modern match?

I have been studying up on some rim fire bench rest competition, according to my understanding of the rules and the fact that this gun seems to weigh 12.2 lbs this would put me in the unlimited class. I was ready to jump in with both feet and buy a Vodoo single shoot and everyone keeps telling me to try shooting a couple of matches first. Now I know that I love shooting and shooting sports, but I also know that I hate loosing or not being limited to my equipment's potential so why would I not be prepared and practiced.

What am I missing and why do so many people keep discouraging me from buying this gun, and would I be wasting my time with my 52C.

Awesome gun very accurate BUT single shot nrl and prs are mag fed timed 10 round matches. I sold my 52 so I could buy a mag fed gun

The 52c is still a mag fed rifle. 5 round magazines are easy to come by, 10 round, not so much. If you work mag changes, the 52 will certainly hold it's on for an NRL type match. Benchrest, middle of the pack. The bottom line is if your limited on funds, a 52c with a 16x unertl will go a long way towards a Vudoo. But you'll always be able to get a Vudoo. They're not making any more 52's. If you're going to have one 52, the c with a unertl is awesome… Think hard before you let it go.

My 52c was single shot but they did make mag fed ones

If it was me I would use it and save my coins ever month to eventually by another rifle. I wouldn’t let that thing go, no way.

I was given a 1955 Winchester 52C with a Urtel 16x that I absolutely love shooting, my question is if this would be competitive in a modern match?

I have been studying up on some rim fire bench rest competition, according to my understanding of the rules and the fact that this gun seems to weigh 12.2 lbs this would put me in the unlimited class. I was ready to jump in with both feet and buy a Vodoo single shoot and everyone keeps telling me to try shooting a couple of matches first. Now I know that I love shooting and shooting sports, but I also know that I hate loosing or not being limited to my equipment's potential so why would I not be prepared and practiced.

What am I missing and why do so many people keep discouraging me from buying this gun, and would I be wasting my time with my 52C.
See how it shoots. You'll never know until you try it.

Reactions: ZG47A
I'm having fun with mine.
IMG_7257.jpeg

Last edited:
Competitive is a relative term and very much depends at what level and which game. Beautiful rifles, triggers can be a weakness

The 52c is still a mag fed rifle. 5 round magazines are easy to come by, 10 round, not so much. If you work mag changes, the 52 will certainly hold it's on for an NRL type match. Benchrest, middle of the pack. The bottom line is if your limited on funds, a 52c with a 16x unertl will go a long way towards a Vudoo. But you'll always be able to get a Vudoo. They're not making any more 52's. If you're going to have one 52, the c with a unertl is awesome… Think hard before you let it go.
I have three ten round magazines that came with it. I wouldn't sell it, just wondering if its worth trying to be competitive with it.
Thanks for the input, just looking for some opinions.

Reactions: Hi-Wall
That's what I like to see, you have me convinced to set it free. I've never shoot it that far but I will after the kids open some presents.
Promo, I have several 52's. Three 52 C's, and a couple of B's, and a couple pre A's. All will average 1" at 100 in calm winds. The two bull barrels that I have, will shoot .5-1" at 100 much like what rth1800 is experiencing. I own a Vudoo, a B14r, and two high end Anschutz. My 52's don't disappoint. Like KOD stated, shoot it. You didn't pay for it, spend that money on ammo. You'll be happy you did. As to ammo, I've had luck with everything from Sk standard to Eley match. I swear my 52's are the most forgiving when it comes to ammo. Let us know how it shoots!

Reactions: RTH1800
It sounds like you have not shot a match yet. Our club has a vintage rimfire benchrest match every month. You would be the envy there. Personally I would try it out and see how it scores. If it doesn’t measure up go ahead and get a vudoo or Annie. But I bet the Winnie is a blast to shoot. Also could look at local scores if they post them and go try it out before go to actual competition. Good luck and enjoy.

My 52c was single shot but they did make mag fed ones
The 52C and earlier versions are magazine fed rifles, the 52D and 52E are single shots.

The 52C is accurate enough to compete with, the stock could be replaced if you are going to shoot benchrest or you could add one of the Sinclair stock adapters. The factory trigger is decent, a number of aftermarket triggers exist but may be difficult to find. The Unertl scope might not be the best choice for benchrest, it will work fine for prone or position matches.

Some early repeaters were blocked off to be SS by the end users.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fja225
It could be OK for club level matches.
It will not run in any registered BR shooting .
It is good property, especially the Unertl scope so if you want to shoot matches it will get you about 2/3 of the way there should you sell it.

Don’t sell history for a voduu, test some different lots of eley match and be surprised. I have a 52b and I’m blown away by it, the 52c has a more renowned trigger still so I think it will please.

I'd shoot the C for a bit to see what it's capable of, start with good ammo. They don't make 52's anymore, they will be making Vudoo's for a long time.

I don't have a C but do have three D's and one E and they all shoot well. One of these days I'll pick up a C as I'd like to have a repeater.

This past summer a guy showed up at one of our fun matches with a Vudoo, said he had about 5K in the rifle and scope and was shooting $22 box Eley. He was soundly beat by several old rifles shooting $5 a box SK Std. Plus.

Remember, the Indian, not the arrow.

Reactions: ZG47A and Gjmen22
I shot prone and three position small bore with a 52c back in the eighties. 52Cs are great old school target guns. I moved to an anschutz and my scores went up because of the ergonomics. The biggest problem with 52C is trying to mount a modern scope. I currently have a 52c that I plan to sell and buy a bergara. Since you already have a 52C; I would shoot it for a year in matches and then decide if I wanted to continue. After a dozen matches you should have a better idea of equipment and how much you want to spend.

Reactions: ZG47A
Agreed. I have a 40x, 52b, and my dad shoots a 52c. These rifles hold their own with my vudoo. I personally wouldn't trade any of these older rifles for a vudoo beings they aren't made anymore, especially with the unertl scope. I am all for owning a vudoo, and I love mine, but I wouldn't trade off one of our vintage quality rifles to get one. Just my 2 cents.