• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a FF handgurard that doesn't require remoal of the barrel nut?

Smith97z71

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2012
NW Ohio
Curious as I think the Troy ALpha rails don't. Still considering a UTG or an Ati though.

I just put a 13" troy Alpha rail on my ar15 and it did in fact install on the factory barrel nut, I know there are rails by Centurion arms that do also. I'm sure other Hiders will chime in with more.

I just put a 13" troy Alpha rail on my ar15 and it did in fact install on the factory barrel nut, I know there are rails by Centurion arms that do also. I'm sure other Hiders will chime in with more.
How much did you pay for yours?

I bought mine at Primary Arms for around 170, it appears they've gone up to 199$. There's also the Troy/Vtac which is the same thing with slots instead of round holes that is priced at 159$. keep in mind these prices are for the 13" length.

Daniel Defense Omega - excellent rail which free floats your barrel...simple bolt on.

I also just come across the Sampson rails and they appear to have high marks as well........choices choices lol

I like Rainier's version of the Samson Evo pretty well. Uses factory barrel nut.

image.jpg

I think that everyone has prettymuch nailed the current offerings (and some ancient ones too ;) aside from really gawdawful ones like the ARMS SIR Systems) at this point (I'm partial to the Apex offerings), but I have to ask...

Why the ordeal to ONLY find FF handguard models you can use without removal of the existing AR-15 barrel nut? It isn't rocket science to remove/reinstall the nut correctly (or any aftermarket nut for that matter) with the proper tools/materials unless you just don't have access/funds/etc. to go that route.

+1 for the Troy Alpha rail. I opted for an FDE Troy Alpha rail 13" on my new Recce 5.56.

Installation of the Gen2 Two Piece Free Float Handguard

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rV6KexkDk-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Remember that for most of these, you still have to remove the delta ring assembly. Of course, you can accomplish this with a Dremel and steady hands if you really don't want to remove the barrel nut.

I have a Midwest Industries Rifle Length rail that I absolutely love! I've had it for several years, it was inexpensive, very well made, and at the time I didn't have the simple tools to remove the barrel. They have models that you only have to remove the slip ring on the rifle (easily dremel it off) and then mount the rail. I was worried about doing this, but after I cut a small notch on the slip ring, which took about 30 seconds, I realized it was aluminum and fragile once modified. So I just put a flat blade screw driver in the notch I had made...twisted...and the slip ring broke right in half easy. Done and done. The whole installation of the rail took maybe 10 minutes, and I'm very happy with it.

I'm a huge fan of the Fortis MFG rails that were mentioned above. I've got 4 of them and they are completely rock solid, they look great, clamp right on the regular barrel nut, and they are definitely one of the lighter rails available. Full top and bottom rails, keymod at both 3 and 9 o'clock positions, integrated quick detach sling swivel points on each side, and a reasonable price.

Another vote here for the Daniel Defense Omega rails. No removal of the delta ring or gas block. They install with a screwdriver and included allen wrench. Best of all, they lock up solid and true to the upper receiver.