• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a spotting scope with mrad ranging system

Big Cal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey all as the title says is there a spotting scope on the market that has some form of ranging system in mrad, so that it will match my rifle scope so my spotter can see where I'm off with the same holdover and wind age values as on my reticle. I've seen the vortex razor Hd has an optional eyepiece to do this but its a fixed power and was wondering if there was anything else out there preferably in a variable zoom with ffp if possible/ if it exists. Thanks for any help

Re: Is there a spotting scope with mrad ranging system

Bushnell, Leopold and <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Leica</span> Zeiss each have one.

I'm happy with my Bushnell Excursion FLP. Below photo is taken with an iphone, freehand through the scope, at the 600y line. It's really hard to get fair representation of the scope that way, but at least you see the reticle.

IMG_1067.jpg

I run the Vortex Razor as well and I love it.

I love the reticle. Additionally the sportting scope has done a phenomenal job of standing up to the frequently windy and sandy conditions.

It also whether the temp is 100 or zero degrees

I really like my USO spotter w/mil-GAP reticle, all for less than $1000 USD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey all as the title says is there a spotting scope on the market that has some form of ranging system in mrad, so that it will match my rifle scope so my spotter can see where I'm off with the same holdover and wind age values as on my reticle. I've seen the vortex razor Hd has an optional eyepiece to do this but its a fixed power and was wondering if there was anything else out there preferably in a variable zoom with ffp if possible/ if it exists. Thanks for any help </div></div>
If you are set on a MIL FFP variable there aren't too many within the financial reach - or at least justifiably so, of Joe Average. Leupold Mark 4, Bushnell Excusion Tactical, the USO Fieldscope are what come to mind immediately. Then there is the Hensoldt Spotter 60. Badass but at $5,000.00 its' buku bucks (you get what you pay for but too bad there isn't an angled version).

If you do consider a fixed power MIL reticle aside from the Vortex Razor with its' optional 30X MIL reticle Eyepiece there is also the Optolyth S80 (Angled) HD Compact and it's brother the G80 (Straight Through) HD Compact. The Optolyth HD Compacts run about 50% more than the Vortex HD, but here again, you get what you pay for.

The Optolyth's 30X WA (Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece also has a rotating reticle, which means that you can orient the reticle and square it even if you rotate the spotter within it's collar. This is a very handy feature to have and should be standard on all reticle-equipped eyepieces. Check-out my review of the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Optolyth S80 HD Compact Spotting Scope"</span></span> for more info on the Optolyth HD Compact Spotters.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Hand-held through-the-scope photo of Optolyth 30X Wide Angle MIL Reticle Eyepiece. The "+" at -5 MILs' Elevation is at 1,032 yards:</span></span>
DSCN24938x6.jpg

Keith

Thanks for all the replies everyone I think I'll go the razor with eyepiece for what's available it's prob the best value. Unless what are the leupy's worth with the Horus reticle and where are they available from. From what I've read on the bushy's and my personal experience with their scopes I'd rather not get the bushy.

Cal just got word from Sinclairs that my bench scope stand has been shipped. Will be good for the next range trip.

I dont have a spotter yet. Will get one soon but might have to wait till my brother goes over to the states. I dont want to get stung with tax on an import that comes in via post. Came close to pulling the trigger on a Kowa 883 but the income tax would be $600+. The Kowa may not interest you as it does not have a reticle.

Yeah I'm just kickin around some ideas for long range in the field at the moment as I've already got a spotter for the range just want somthing to make ranging in the field easier as we normally go spotter shooter

I have a Mil Dot Bushnell Excursion and it has many times surprised me with it's value for the dollar. There is some distortion at the edge of the field of view, but the detail I can see at extended ranges (600-1000yds) is surprising for a spotter that comes in under the 400 dollar mark.

I've seen hits on birchwood casey targets at 840 yds with it. I've also missed hits on the same target. Still, 30 cal holes at that range is pretty good. I only wish they had the mil hash reticle available when I bought it. Anybody want to trade? =)

Rich