• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there an ammo ban in the works I am missing...?

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
I understand the obsession with buying $700 AR-15s at $1500, in case they are banned. But is there any hint at banning ammunition of any kind? I'm trying to wrap my mind around the sell-out of EVERYTHING. Can't even find thirty calibre bullets or ammunition of really any kind, anywhere. So are people just going bat-shit crazy for no reason? If there isn't any plan to ban ammunition, the stockpiling makes no sense.

Thoughts?

Re: Is there an ammo ban in the works I am missing...?

i've seen on the news up in new england there are talks of a 50% tax on ammo.

the thing is, if the AR and the like do not get banned, or the magazines that go into them, the next thing is the ammo that goes into the magazine. if the ammo can't be banned, then make so expensive that the bad guys will have to commit more thefts to pay for or steel the ammo they need.

"the leg bone connected to the thigh bone"

It's the fear of uncertainty that is driving prices up and causing the shortages.

I personally feel that stockpiling makes complete sense. By doing this it allows one the ability to continue shooting through times just like now.

If you are meaning the people who are hoarding ammo now that don't really shoot, well I am ok with that also. If something happens they have what they need. If nothing happens these folks will eventually realize they have way more ammo than they will ever use and sell. Back in August I picked up some brass 223 from a gentleman who was doing this very thing. He had bought too much in 08 and was practically giving it away.

I have been wondering about this too. I went and bought a nice .17 hmr bolt gun just because the ammo is widely available and I cant find much else to shoot in my guns. I personally dont think the ammo will ever be illegal etc, but I hear plans for things like fingerprinting or background checks at purchase. Neither would stop me from buying ammo, but sure sound annoying to say the least, and will probably add expense to the transaction of buying ammo.

I was wondering the same exact thing the last time I went to cabelas (~3 weeks ago) to pick up some SMK's regular ole 308 brass and some powder and somehow they were out of all 3. Not just the powder I use but ALL powder and ALL 308 brass and ALL Sierra bullets, in 308. The hour drive back home I was kinda pissed and completely confused. I hadn't heard about any ban on 308 stuff, especially reloading components, 223 is understandable but beyond that this has gone overboard.

But like mcmillanman said, once this calms down there willbe some bomb deals to jump on so we have that to look forward to.

Can't you guys figure out this ain't like 1994 or 2008 for that matter. People are genuinely concerned about a lot of things like the economy, national debt, corrupt overreaching govt that seems to know no bounds anymore. Are you really that blind to just exactly where we are right now as a nation and as a society? Stop bitching about people buying things like ammunition up that tend to have an intrinsic value that doesn't seem to go down like the piece of shit fiat dollar. Wake up...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mcmillanman5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the fear of uncertainty that is driving prices up and causing the shortages.</div></div>
This.

The stock market nearing 14K and the average return at 5-6K levels. The towel of reality is just now slapping many who thought the Internet, their Banker, broker, or the media would never lie to them. The reason 22 is so hard to find it's been a staple of the human food chain to many threw out their lives. The rest of the hording, they believe while allow them to protect their food chain and other property. Ammo, is also a required staple in a gun fight, as many do not know how to roll their own, or beyond. When shelves are empty, those who were sleeping prior, panic and pay the asking no matter the commodity.

I started reloading bout six months ago and have enough components to load anything I need.

I don't know what made me wanna start reloading but I'm glad I did because I have about a 200 rnd a week habit...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you guys figure out this ain't like 1994 or 2008 for that matter. People are genuinely concerned about a lot of things like the economy, national debt, corrupt overreaching govt that seems to know no bounds anymore. Are you really that blind to just exactly where we are right now as a nation and as a society? Stop bitching about people buying things like ammunition up that tend to have an intrinsic value that doesn't seem to go down like the piece of shit fiat dollar. Wake up...</div></div>

I think the people who are running out to stockpile need to wake up. They did it 4 years ago and what happened? This time even more people have fallen for it. Who in their right mind would think that there is going to be some kind of extra tax on a bullet? Maybe an extra tax on loaded ammunition but on a projectile? Do you really think any of these gov. officials know what a projectile is? Heck no. They can't even understand that guns don't kill people, crazy people do.
I just want some 178gr amax to reload so I can put some more info in my data/log book. Is 100 projectiles too much to ask for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you guys figure out this ain't like 1994 or 2008 for that matter. People are genuinely concerned about a lot of things like the economy, national debt, corrupt overreaching govt that seems to know no bounds anymore. Are you really that blind to just exactly where we are right now as a nation and as a society? Stop bitching about people buying things like ammunition up that tend to have an intrinsic value that doesn't seem to go down like the piece of shit fiat dollar. Wake up... </div></div>

Woah there, bud! Take it easy. Nobody is "bitching," here. Just trying to understand the idea. If people were "investing" in the ammo for its "intrinsic value" they would have been doing it before CT. This is a panic-buying craze. I was just wondering what if there was actually legislation about ammunition, because while I understand the AR/AK/etc buying craze, I didn't get the ammo buying craze. I can understand having a few thousand rounds "just in case," but these people that spent $20k+ on ammo in a week just blow my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you guys figure out this ain't like 1994 or 2008 for that matter. People are genuinely concerned about a lot of things like the economy, national debt, corrupt overreaching govt that seems to know no bounds anymore. Are you really that blind to just exactly where we are right now as a nation and as a society? Stop bitching about people buying things like ammunition up that tend to have an intrinsic value that doesn't seem to go down like the piece of shit fiat dollar. Wake up... </div></div>

Woah there, bud! Take it easy. Nobody is "bitching," here. Just trying to understand the idea. If people were "investing" in the ammo for its "intrinsic value" they would have been doing it before CT. This is a panic-buying craze. I was just wondering what if there was actually legislation about ammunition, because while I understand the AR/AK/etc buying craze, I didn't get the ammo buying craze. I can understand having a few thousand rounds "just in case," but these people that spent $20k+ on ammo in a week just blow my mind.</div></div>

EXACTLY. Very well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch Engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't you guys figure out this ain't like 1994 or 2008 for that matter. People are genuinely concerned about a lot of things like the economy, national debt, corrupt overreaching govt that seems to know no bounds anymore. Are you really that blind to just exactly where we are right now as a nation and as a society? Stop bitching about people buying things like ammunition up that tend to have an intrinsic value that doesn't seem to go down like the piece of shit fiat dollar. Wake up... </div></div>

Woah there, bud! Take it easy. Nobody is "bitching," here. Just trying to understand the idea. If people were "investing" in the ammo for its "intrinsic value" they would have been doing it before CT. This is a panic-buying craze. I was just wondering what if there was actually legislation about ammunition, because while I understand the AR/AK/etc buying craze, I didn't get the ammo buying craze. I can understand having a few thousand rounds "just in case," but these people that spent $20k+ on ammo in a week just blow my mind. </div></div>

If you haven't "got it" by now Bud.....you obviously won't get it. People have been buying ammo for its intrinsic value for quite awhile. Obvious recent events have simply put those efforts in overdrive. This ain't golf...

Not sure if its craziness or not but I have heard that Obama has made references to banning Lead ammo via executive order and has been citing the EPA and Environment for the ban

the same sheeple paying 1500 for a 700 AR are the ones buying up all the ammo.
once the AR craze calms down, then the remaining sane people will start buying ammo to keep in case the insane ones go nutty again.

I have been: "buying it cheap and stacking it deep," for years.

I remember one scene from an old movie on tv I saw as a child. The rebels finally had large quantities of guns to fight the corrupt regime and confronted the army at the fort. The rebels raised their rifles aimed at the soldiers and pulled their triggers. All you heard and saw were the clicks of empty rifles and the suprised looks on the rebels faces'. The commander of the army raised his hand holding a single rifle round in his fingers and started laughing. Then he shouted FIRE and all you could see and hear were the soldiers firing their rifles and machineguns. The movie ended there.
I learned the moral of that scene.

I had to find 200 rounds of match ammo for a course this weekend since Fulton-Armory has now taken over a month to even update me on my order which was in stock when ordered... I spent a whole day calling shops and finally found some sub $30 a box of 20. The places up here are charging $47-50 for a box of federal Gold ammo.

To all that is true about EPA regulating lead as a toxic waste item hence driving cost way up started in California now OBammy will do it nation wide thru his EPA clan

To the OP, yes I believe in some states there is state legislation to put a 50% tax on ammo and reclassify reloading as manufacturing. From what I have seen it is mostly in the more liberal state like CT, NY and CA but once those states prove the tax works "well" at fighting crime I imagine other states will follow

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To the OP, yes I believe in some states there is state legislation to put a 50% tax on ammo and reclassify reloading as manufacturing. From what I have seen it is mostly in the more liberal state like CT, NY and CA but once those states prove the tax works "well" at fighting crime I imagine other states will follow</div></div>

That kind of bullshit will never fly in states like Oklahoma and Texas.

It's not just 308 brass-- I scoured the internet for 300 win mag brass... new, once-fired, anything...can only find loaded ammo in the $38-$45 range. I ended up buying all the Prvi Partisan loaded ammo to use for practice and then use the brass for hand-loading.
But damn, virtually the entire supply of 300 Wm is gone?!?!

I don't know why Midway bothers sending out their mailer either- it's more like a list of what they don't have!

Keep your powder dry gents, plenty evil afoot
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: quietbullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all that is true about EPA regulating lead as a toxic waste item hence driving cost way up started in California now OBammy will do it nation wide thru his EPA clan</div></div>

Crazy question but doesn't lead come from the same planet we are returning it to?

There has been talks of the taxes and requiring background checks for ammo purchases but no bans that I am aware of. I think the evil hi-cap mags and scary assault weapons are the only big targets right now. IMO the ammo shortage is caused by the asshats trying to make a profit. The have bought it all at normal price to gouge the rest of us. The local gun show last week had plenty of Pmags, bullets, primers, and loaded factory ammo at 200%+ normal value.

I went into the local Sportsmans Warehouse a while back and there was a guy just loading up a cart with every little bit of ammo he could find from .22LR to 30-06 and everything in between. Another guy there made the comment to him that he must have quite the collection of guns to go with all that ammo. He replies nope, he did not have guns for all the different calibers he was getting but said something like this, "Ammo is going to be a very a good investment this stuff is going to be worth it's weight in gold so I'm going to get every bit of it I can." These guys camp out in front of the stores on delivery day and scoop up as much as they can before it even hits the shelf. The best thing we all can do is wait till stuff blows over letting them sit on the ammo/components till prices drop and these tools have to sell to break even rather than for profit..... Sorry rant over.

Welcome to the permanent price increase...courtesy of your local panicked dick holes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the permanent price increase...courtesy of your local panicked dick holes.

</div></div>

Yeah, I agree we will likely be stuck with a price increase but it's going to be more like 10-20% instead of the 200-300% increases we're seeing. Even then we all have to work hard for our money (well most of us) and 10-20% is still going to hurt a lot.

My hope is that current demand and pricing enables manufacturing facilities to upgrade their equipment and capabilities, and will result in more reasonable prices and better ability to meet demand in years to come.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My hope is that current demand and pricing enables manufacturing facilities to upgrade their equipment and capabilities, and will result in more reasonable prices and better ability to meet demand in years to come. </div></div>

I guess this is possible, but I'll believe it when I see it. I think this is going to be a big "cash grab" by CEO's and executives in the form of fat bonuses. Not that there's anything wrong with rewarding people for profitable times, but I just don't have enough confidence in corporate America to believe that they can do anything responsible or rational.

I think the real problem is that as long as people are panicked about losing their guns, they'll buy ammo at any price, no matter how ridiculous. People will still buy all of it up. In my town, for instance, we have a Little Caesar's. $5 a pizza. Cheapest pizza in town. They raised the price to $6. Still the cheapest pizza in tow. Still sell everything they make.

There is simply no reason to lower prices to what they were. I agree with the above. 20% sounds very likely to be a permanent increase.

Regardless of all the reasons...this panic really does suck. Unfortunately I didn't have extra cash to load up on bullets when I realized that everything was headed downhill fast. Now I have money and can't find bullets to reload anywhere. And after reloading for a while now...breaks my heart to buy factory ammo at ridiculous prices. Anyone have educated predictions on when ammo production will level out and catch up with demand?

yeah, Ive been trying not to do this but as things go, Ive found myself in a bit of a bind. I purchased a .308 bolt action gun right as this all blew up, got a deal on it because everyone was trying to get an AR, and bolt guns were neglected I guess. I bought one box of shells for it, and should have bought several. Now I find myself hitting the stores like the hoarders, searching for 308. Ive managed to scrape together 6 boxes, but only two are matching brands AND bullet weights. Id like to sight it in and enjoy it, but Id REALLY like to have at least 3-4 matching boxes of decent ammo to sight it in, and see how far I can push it on distance. After going store to store I sure wish that rifle was a 30-06 or 300 wsm.. stores in my area have shelves full of those calibers.

I think half the people "hoarding" are just tired of trying to wait it out and have to buy what they can when it pops up just to be able to shoot. Thus perpetuating, even if unintentional, the cycle we see today.

I sure hope I (and others) are right. When the ban doesnt pass and these tools are looking at a $800 AR they paid double or triple for, and 5000 rounds of ammo for every gun sitting there in the way, that the market is flooded and we can enjoy some cheap prices from those with buyers remorse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Saki481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Regardless of all the reasons...this panic really does suck. Unfortunately I didn't have extra cash to load up on bullets when I realized that everything was headed downhill fast. Now I have money and can't find bullets to reload anywhere. And after reloading for a while now...breaks my heart to buy factory ammo at ridiculous prices. Anyone have educated predictions on when ammo production will level out and catch up with demand? </div></div>

I know the feeling. I've had other financial responsibilities I'm focused on, and have never quite had the amount of ammo on hand that I'd like to have. I have as much as I need, just not as much as I'd be comfortable with.

If 2008 is anything to go on, I'm guessing it will be about this time next year before we start to see the shelves filling in again. This time seems a good bit worse than last time, and stuff was hard to come by for quite some time the last time around.

I came across an old empty 300 round 5.56 battle pack in my garage from the mid 90s and the price tag on it was $35.00.

What sucks is that there are people who have set aside time and money to train with training firms and there is no ammo to purchase for said training. While some are making extra money on the current situation, others are loosing income needed to support business and family.

Hording hurts this industry in my opinion. Not to mention ammo is a lot like gas prices, they never fully come back down.

September is what sources in the industry are telling me is when they may have product not already bought and paid for...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Socalsheepdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hording hurts this industry in my opinion. Not to mention ammo is a lot like gas prices, they never fully come back down.</div></div>

This is exactly what I'm worried about

Word I got from manufacturers is 9-12 months. That's just to get caught up with backorders.

There are dealers holding items as well, they are waiting for prices to go just a little higher. One locale shop has over 100 AR lowers. He is building a rifle every few days and placing it on the shelf with ridiculous prices. Another shop just north of me has pallets of ammo and they are doing the same. I understand they want to make money but personally I think it is bullshit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are dealers holding items as well, they are waiting for prices to go just a little higher. One locale shop has over 100 AR lowers. He is building a rifle every few days and placing it on the shelf with ridiculous prices. Another shop just north of me has pallets of ammo and they are doing the same. I understand they want to make money but personally I think it is bullshit. </div></div>

People need to know who the dealers are that are doing this and once the scare is over let them know by not supporting their business. That is the only way they will realize that the average person does not appreciate their way of making a buck off this panic buying.

FEAR UNCERTAINTY DOUBT

It looks like the mad rush is dying down some. Even the hysteria on gun broker is slowing a bit. I think a bunch of folks maxed out the credit cards and it will hopefully get back to close to normal over the next few months.

I dont know about you guys, but there is stock available online every week or so.

All that stuff about 9-12 months just to catch up on backorder is BS.

I ordered a Pmag, at regular price from midway a month or so ago. Ordered glock mags for regular price maybe 2 weeks ago. Ordered 6000 hornady 5.56 bullets a couple weeks ago. Just a week or so ago, I ordered a bunch of different powders. Just got my big shipment of primers in as well, from a month ago order.

The only thing I still haven't bought is varget, and thats just because I refuse to buy in 1# lots. The 1#'s are available all the time at random places.

Everything I have bought has been at normal prices. There are many stand up dealers out there, that havent raised their prices (or atleast minimally)

The only thing I can agree with is that its not too good of a market if you need something RIGHT NOW. Otherwise, both online and local stores are getting stuff in all the time. You just have to look out for it and catch it. Everything has been on sale somewhere atleast once every week or 2, and then up to a month wait for it to ship...

Timelinex,

Don't know about how timely my order will be, but I ordered or should say back orderd 2 - 8 lb. jugs of Varget through MidSouth Shooters Supply a couple weeks ago. They show an expected ship/arrival date of March 1, if you are interested. They have raised their prices, but it only appears to be the yearly price increase that everyone else went up to. Just an FYI.

Since I have about 5 lbs. Varget on hand, I just couldn't order 1 lb. jars either. 8 pounders will ship eventually........ I hope!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MP15</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Timelinex,

Don't know about how timely my order will be, but I ordered or should say back orderd 2 - 8 lb. jugs of Varget through MidSouth Shooters Supply a couple weeks ago. They show an expected ship/arrival date of March 1, if you are interested. They have raised their prices, but it only appears to be the yearly price increase that everyone else went up to. Just an FYI.

Since I have about 5 lbs. Varget on hand, I just couldn't order 1 lb. jars either. 8 pounders will ship eventually........ I hope! </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up. Thats exactly what I'm talking about though.. As long as you are proactive about it, you should be able to find what you need at reasonable prices. I'm waiting for an 'in stock', as opposed to backordering.

I was basically just trying to call out BS on all the people passing on the garbage information about basically no stock till the year 2076. All your doing is perpetuating the scare.

I was waiting around for "in stock" also, then it dawned on me that there is the distinct possiblity that I may run out before things normalize and seeing "in stock" is normal. I figured and am hoping that the target date of 3/1 is close. If I get my order in March or April I'll be good to go, versus waiting for "what if" that could possibly be months away and leave me without the supplies to shoot with. Luckily I have many years worth of primers and bullets on hand.

Good luck to all looking for their supplies!

I'm buying all I can, my buddy and his father in law went to Sportsmans, Wal Mart, Gander Mt and a couple of lgs the other day and couldn't find any 9, 308, 223 or even 22lr. This is here in Colorado so I don't know what's going on any place else but shops are getting a little bit here and there, you just have to be there when it comes in.

I made it a point since I am 18 years old to stock up a year before any presidential election, I feel rich in assets right now but am afraid to use too much of my stock as it might be needed if the SHTF. I stick to just using the bear stuff in my guns for simple 100 yrd target practice now a days, I know the resets on my precision gun scopes for the normal in case I need to break out the good ammo. Either way supply and demand works, things will be back to normal in a few years unless the SHTF this time around. I sent my 308 Brass off to SW for reloading, its taking a few months but they will get to it. Any and all brass I use from here on gets sent out for reloading.

1.6 Billion rounds is not that much, just think, average gun owner has 2 boxes of ammo for their gun, 300 million guns in private hands, thats 24 billion rounds (on the very low side), I would bet there are more out there like us with a couple thousand rounds, probably 25% which puts that 24 B number much higher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmyJerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.6 Billion rounds is not that much, just think, average gun owner has 2 boxes of ammo for their gun, 300 million guns in private hands, thats 24 billion rounds (on the very low side), I would bet there are more out there like us with a couple thousand rounds, probably 25% which puts that 24 B number much higher.</div></div>

You are comparing a nation of firearm owners to 1 federal agency.(DHS)

Billions of rounds being purchased each time for 1 agency is a VERY large number. And lets not forget to mention the drones they have for domestic use, specialized vehicles that are more High-Tech than the military is currently using in overseas war zones. And lets not forget the large amount of ARs they just purchased. I understand they have to be outfitted as an agency. But its obvious they aren't (Gearing up) to check bags at an airport. This is gearing up for SHTF and they have to DEAL with civil uprising. (Sorry for the off-topic reply)