• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there an ammo ban in the works I am missing...?

Re: Is there an ammo ban in the works I am missing...?

I did read that the ATF is trying to ban all penetrator ammo.(Go figure if you read my other post in this thread)

Re: Is there an ammo ban in the works I am missing...?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: madppcs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmyJerry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1.6 Billion rounds is not that much, just think, average gun owner has 2 boxes of ammo for their gun, 300 million guns in private hands, thats 24 billion rounds (on the very low side), I would bet there are more out there like us with a couple thousand rounds, probably 25% which puts that 24 B number much higher.</div></div>

You are comparing a nation of firearm owners to 1 federal agency.(DHS)

Billions of rounds being purchased each time for 1 agency is a VERY large number. And lets not forget to mention the drones they have for domestic use, specialized vehicles that are more High-Tech than the military is currently using in overseas war zones. And lets not forget the large amount of ARs they just purchased. I understand they have to be outfitted as an agency. But its obvious they aren't (Gearing up) to check bags at an airport. This is gearing up for SHTF and they have to DEAL with civil uprising. (Sorry for the off-topic reply) </div></div>

Indeed it is a buttload for one agency considering our entire armed forces went thru 70M rounds per year in Iraq, including training. DHS has just ordered more than 20 times that amount....

Hello all.
I am new here but not new to firearms. I've beem checking out Snipershide for a little while now and have found lots of good info and insight. My wife and I have the following: S&W 556 sport, S&W .40's, 12 gauge full of 0 buck, .22LR 30/06. Pretty much covers any situation for shtf. And hunting. We have been buying ammo as we can find it. Sometimes just a couple boxes at. Time. Are we ammo hoarding? No, a couple hundred rounds of .40 500 rounds of .22 LR 400 rounds of 5.56/.223 different 12 gauge options from birdshot to slugs. I think it's a good start. Is there an ammo crisis? According to local gun shops, yes. Caused by the Gov't. Not by you and I... So what are you all thinking?

Speaking for my area and what I have seen, there is somewhat of an ammo crisis but its not so much from hoarding or the gov as it is with the same type of panic buyers that went out and bought 1800 del-ton AR's in the last few months. It's mostly in the secondary market. What I am seeing is ammo getting to stores but either the people that work there or their friends that they tip off are coming in and clearing it out as soon as it hits the shelves and then going home and putting it on armslist or gunbroker or some local forum and selling to the panicking sheep for twice the price or trading it for firearms that are well above the price of the ammo. or people that have the time and resources to be able to scout out who what where and when ammo gets to a place and doing the same. It's unfortunate because if it keeps going it will eventually cause the bigger box retailers to drive their pricing up along with the smaller stores that already have, until the profit margin for the secondary market gets to the point where its not worth the trouble. When you see the same posters in these forums week in and week out either posting new threads with more ammo or updating their threads as they get "their stock" in, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out what's happening. Sure it would still be hard to find ammo on a given day but it wouldn't be impossible and stock would eventually return to the shelves at least faster than it does now.

As for the government thing, IMO that's just a conspiracy of convenience. From what I read they order a shit ton of ammo every year and while this years order is larger, its only slightly larger and inline with their year over year trends. It just comes at a bad time when things are already depleted. The 22lr shortage proves that IMO. I don't think the gov is going to buy all the 22lr along with 9mm, 5.56 and .308 :) Just my 2 cents for what its worth.

Last edited:
I don't think there is a ban, just a panic on people worrying about getting ammo. I just wonder if it will come back or will it stay where it is at like Gas.

We may very well look back at ammo prices as they are today as "the good old days".

Fortunately I have been hoarding for years. ;)