• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is there any other industry...

XTR

F-TR junkie
Minuteman
  • Sep 4, 2010
    Lebanon, NH
    www.onlinehumidor.com
    ...where you can stand around waiving money and nobody will get you what you want?

Seriously, like a lot of you I'm "working on a build", actually more that one. My yet to be assembled F-TR rifle I started trying to put together last year. I ordered the action from Defiance in Oct, they promised a delivery by April, they delivered in January! That's as good as it gets. Stock = 3 months, Barrel = don't ask. I've actually got one I picked up from Bruno's but it's not exactly what I want I got it figuring I'd just get it mounted and go. Reamer, ordered from PTG in April, <span style="font-weight: bold">still waiting</span>.

What happened here was that I figured out that my smith doesn't have a reamer with a long enough throat, so I decided that I'd just order one for myself. That pretty much ended any chance that I'll shoot this build in competition this year.

My hunting build. Took advantage of the Rock Creek group buy to get a 7mm barrel to build a 7-08 - 4 months, got the trued action in days from someone selling them on Accurate shooter. Ordered the reamer (see above) at the same time I ordered the H&S DBM. Well, last month the DBM got delivered, still waiting on a reamer.

In the mean time I am shooting Camp Perry next week, realized 2 weeks ago that I was low on 185LRBTs and tried to get some. Yea, right. Not in stock anywhere. One supplier did initially predict that they would have them in stock on the Aug 2 when I told them to cancel the thousand dollar back order. Called them back yesterday, nope, not in stock. (I am covered for enough to make up the shortage for Perry and the State Championships the first week in Sept, but that's another shooter helping me out)

There is nothing in this game that doesn't have a waiting period, and with damned few exceptions, the businesses you deal with do not deliver on time, and usually it's not even close. I love Rock Creek's solution - Don't ask, you'll get it when you get it. At least they don't BS you.

Re: Is there any other industry...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try aviation one time! </div></div>

Even in the boom times leading up to the late 2008 bust, aviation wasn't this bad.

Supply and demand!

I ordered my stock exactly one year ago and it still hasn't come in, spent close to $600 on the whole order, which included a bottom metal, stock, bolt handle and bolt lift kit for my savage, still nothing.

I ordered a Krieger barrel last year in August. I got it around March or April. That's the longest I've ever waited on something gun related. I try to buy things that are in stock, and sit it out when they're not, unless it's something I really want.

I do agree, though, especially when election years and/or ban scares come around it gets even more insane.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try aviation one time! </div></div>

Even in the boom times leading up to the late 2008 bust, aviation wasn't this bad.

Supply and demand! </div></div>

Just like fuel prices right?

The barrel I want is probably very different from the barrel you want.

Same thing applies to the action, the stock, the DBM, and the trigger.

So, we have all these component suppliers/manufacturers that are building custom products to satisfy our various desires/whims/notions.

If we could be satisfied with the same action style/length/boltface, or the same DBM lengths, made for the same magazines, or the same stock style, LOP, color, etc., etc., then we probably would not have much waiting to do.

To get exactly what you want, exactly the way you like it, better plan farther ahead and be prepared to wait a while to get it.

I think we all understand the frustration with long lead time items, backorders, etc.

This is one reason why I stick to easily stocked components, like Hornady vs Lapua, or Remington/Winchester vs norma/nosler. I feel your pain, I better get me a 7mm blank ordered.

I started ordering my parts for my F class rifle last month, hope it's done by 2014 season.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try aviation one time!</div></div>
    Two things you can never trust:
    1. The Weather Forecast
    2. Army Aviation

This is nothing new. A while back a friend of mine in the BPCR game wanted to upgrade his his match rifle. He started looking around for a Sharps. Then Quigley Down Under was released and the market went nuts. My buddy called Sharps and asked if they intended to ramp up production. Their response was that their primary concern was maintaining quality and had no plans to increase production. Add to this the current economy where companies are not willing to hire as these are very uncertain times. When is was gunsmithing professionally I learned that even the major manufactures don't run a full production line all year. They make the parts they need for a set period of time and retool the line for something else. I found even the most common of parts would sometimes have a 6+ month lead time depending on the time of year you call. So when you call in your order there is no telling how many are in front of you.

I feel your pain too. I've been waiting on a S&B scope and a few otherthings since December. It's really odd for me because I am usually really good at finding things that are hard to find. I will say that if I'm told up front about the wait it doesn't really bother me. What chaps my butt is when somebody says it will be a month and then it turns out to be 6. I have had this problem with a couple gunsmiths and it drives me nuts! The S&B thing is a little odd too you would think if somebody is ready to pay $4000 for a scope they would be making them more than once a year. Oh well life is too short to worry about it.