• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there any real difference in electronic ear protection anymore?

It was a reputable audiologist and the intern did a better job with the molds than the doc, hence my warning.

It was a reputable audiologist and the intern did a better job with the molds than the doc, hence my warning.
Damn. Sorry man.

I think every time I've had them done it was by an audiologist who was well versed in doing them for audio professionals on a regular basis.

I think a good way to find a decent audiologist who knows what they're doing with impressions/molds would be to contact a pro audio place in one's area that sells higher-end In Ear Monitoring systems (IEM's)... like a Shure, Sennheiser and/or AKG dealer. They should be able to recommend someone.

Thank you for the responses to my tangent. I literally did not know that active noise cancelling is how the aviation sets worked AND none of the aviation types I asked about this either did or would admit it to me. I learned something useful!

Double up!!!
I know of no ear plug or ear muff, electronic or passive that alone is suitable for noise protection from firearms.
Indeed, sound is conducted to the inner ear through the mastoid bone also.
My OTL tells me he prescribes Motrin for Artillery soldiers because of the concussive effects through the mastoid bone.
In Power Plants there are many areas that require both passive foamies and muffs.
Eventually you will experience some degration and Tinnitus,
Best you can do is minimize exposure and prolong the onset.
-Richard

I'll also say they are VERY well built, and the top brands (Sordin, Peltor) are modifiable and repairable. I paid let's say... $800 for my primary earpro, a complete Sordin Ranger dual-comms kit with all the PTTs (I traded a pistol for them so hard to say the price for sure, but that's close).

I don't regret that price a bit. Not just because they are awesome sounding, etc. but because I have owned them and used them on every range day and field exercise for something like 15 years. They started getting weird (burning batteries in days vs months) so I sent for service last year, paid under $100 for a TOTAL rebuild, new battery box, etc and now are better than new. Even rained on etc they should be good for another 10-15 years, etc.

If you are only buying $300 headsets, the lifetime cost means something approaching $1 per range/field session before repair, and likely much less cost as you are probably less abusive to your gear than I am :)

Unless I light them on fire or drive over them with a tractor, these will be inherited by my child when I die. Worth it.
Who can rebuild the Sordin's???

It seems that this technology has matured and one electronic set of ears works pretty much like another. Are there any high-end ear pros that are really superior? Or is it just the additional features such as, Bluetooth and built-in streaming?

I don’t know for certain which brands/models are superior......but, just two days ago we (wife and I) decided on and bought 2 sets of AXIL GS Extreme ear buds! We’ll have an idea of their value after hunting season! memtb

Who can rebuild the Sordin's???
SRS Tactical.

Reactions: Nik H
If one is really serious about protecting their hearing, get custom ear plugs yesterday.

If you can DIY mold them at home, or they can get them to you in a couple hours at some trade show, they are NOT what I'm talking about....

I mean real ones, like where you need to make an appointment with an audiologist to take impressions, like these: https://1of1custom.com - specifically for shooting: https://1of1custom.com/products/pro-impulse-custom-ear-plug - or these: https://1of1custom.com/products/total-block
Looking for a good audiologist to do this...wish this type of information was better understood 50 years ago. I am going to try and prevent my tinnitus from getting worse. At this point, it is always there but not bad. In normal public circumstances, it is not even noticeable.

If you're young and live in a non-NFA place, double up on things. I am going there. If you can, GET A CAN.

If you don't do either, remember this when you're my age

Tinnitus.jpg

LOL but not really. It can be like mine and livable and it can be REALLY BAD.

Do what you can to prevent the latter

Read the above!!!
Double up is the only way to prevent loooong term damage and hopefully Tinnitus.
Single electronic protection whether muff or internal ear buds is simply not sufficient!!!!
Your mastoid bone conducts vibration to the inner ear and that is never protected.
My OTL is/was a Marine Dr and treats artillery soldiers,
He tells me they take lots of Motrin.
-Richard

Reactions: Tx_Aggie and memtb
+1 for MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X . I have had mine more than 10 years.

Surefire Sonic Defenders are a good alternative to foam plugs if you don’t want to break the bank on electronic.

Edit to answer your question: In my experience none of the “budget“ electronic muffs compare to the quality of the MSA stuff. Do they still work as interested? Yes.
However, I am a firm believer in ”Buy once, cry once.”

If one is really serious about protecting their hearing, get custom ear plugs yesterday.

If you can DIY mold them at home, or they can get them to you in a couple hours at some trade show, they are NOT what I'm talking about....

I mean real ones, like where you need to make an appointment with an audiologist to take impressions, like these: https://1of1custom.com - specifically for shooting: https://1of1custom.com/products/pro-impulse-custom-ear-plug - or these: https://1of1custom.com/products/total-block
Went to the audiologist today and got my impressions per the directions on the website. The technician did them twice to make sure they conform to the guidelines. Boxed them up and sent them off to 1of1 Custom. Hopefully won't be too long before I get the plugs!

Reactions: CK1.0
+1 for MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X . I have had mine more than 10 years.

Surefire Sonic Defenders are a good alternative to foam plugs if you don’t want to break the bank on electronic.

Edit to answer your question: In my experience none of the “budget“ electronic muffs compare to the quality of the MSA stuff. Do they still work as interested? Yes.
However, I am a firm believer in ”Buy once, cry once.”
My Sordins are 7 years old and may be dying unfortunately...will probably get another pair

cost if you are looking at the really nice ones and sound quality . quality between the cheap ones vrs the good expensive ones is vast depending on what your willing to pay for .
two in one sadly not for me and defiantly not at that price . But as long as your old headset speakers are sound you can always rewire them for under 40.00 dollars and it could be like buying a new set all over again .

Last edited:
Went to the audiologist today and got my impressions per the directions on the website. The technician did them twice to make sure they conform to the guidelines. Boxed them up and sent them off to 1of1 Custom. Hopefully won't be too long before I get the plugs!

Good for you, money well spent, it's not often when you can buy something that actually makes as much of a difference.

Couple suggestions then ordering plugs (that I wish someone told me):

1. Get a bright color! I have clear ones now, never again. Drop a clear one on gravel (or pretty much anywhere else) and they turn fucking invisible. I have dropped one a couple/few times when at the range ... and hell yeah my ass dropped down and crawled around until I found the MF'er, it's not really about the money so much as the PIA of getting impressions and then the wait... (pretty sure 1of1 keeps your/our impressions on-file though, still would suck).

2. IDK what filters you're getting if you're not just going with Total Block's, but if you are getting filters: get the Total Block inserts too if they're not included (which they might be), the blocks allow the plugs to take advantage of the highest NR rating they're capable of. Even though I have a couple different fancy filters, I really only use the blocks when it comes to shooting. If they're only for shooting, I'd just save some money and just get the Total Blocks. YMMV.

cost if you are looking at the really nice ones and sound quality . quality between the cheap ones vrs the good expensive ones is vast depending on what your willing to pay for .
two in one sadly not for me and defiantly not at that price . But as long as your old headset speakers are sound you can always rewire them for under 40.00 dollars and it could be like buying a new set all over again .

If your job requires comms and can be life or death serious, the Ops Core Amp's & NFMI plugs are actually probably worth every penny, that near field magnetic induction shit is next level cool.

Reactions: acudaowner
Good for you, money well spent, it's not often when you can buy something that actually makes as much of a difference.

Couple suggestions then ordering plugs (that I wish someone told me):

1. Get a bright color! I have clear ones now, never again. Drop a clear one on gravel (or pretty much anywhere else) and they turn fucking invisible. I have dropped one a couple/few times when at the range ... and hell yeah my ass dropped down and crawled around until I found the MF'er, it's not really about the money so much as the PIA of getting impressions and then the wait... (pretty sure 1of1 keeps your/our impressions on-file though, still would suck).

2. IDK what filters you're getting if you're not just going with Total Block's, but if you are getting filters: get the Total Block inserts too if they're not included (which they might be), the blocks allow the plugs to take advantage of the highest NR rating they're capable of. Even though I have a couple different fancy filters, I really only use the blocks when it comes to shooting. If they're only for shooting, I'd just save some money and just get the Total Blocks. YMMV.
Well....
  1. Color is Bright Orange for the very reasons you mentioned
  2. I did not get the total block. 1of1 told me to get the Impulse as it is purpose built for shooters.
  3. I also got the 50% off insurance as I do sometimes lose things

If your job requires comms and can be life or death serious, the Ops Core Amp's & NFMI plugs are actually probably worth every penny, that near field magnetic induction shit is next level cool.
It does sound really nice but I don't need the boom mike. Would probably interfere with cheek weld....LOL

Boom weak. Gun strong. Works fine. Actually strong side mic is of my top 10 giveaways for poseurs or bad consultants on action movies.

When weakhand, flex mic is NBD for the shorter range stuff you typically do for that. Never had a problem. I do occasionally forget it's there and try to eat or drink the windsock, but that's probably just me.

1. I did not get the total block. 1of1 told me to get the Impulse as it is purpose built for shooters.

The thing with the Impulse ones is that they really work best when worn alone, under active muffs it's a wash... IMO you should never really wear just the plugs alone around a loud/braked rifle, and IMO the Impulse's are pretty much just for handguns/PCC's outdoors, when one set of ear pro will cut it.

I do sometimes swap to the filters in the plugs when shooting like that, but just because TN gets hotter and more humid than hell, so I sometimes sweat like a dog, but mostly, because of my hairdo and if it's sunny/bright and I don't have a hat. My hairdo of choice is bald, and I don't want a headband tan-line like some sort of wrong way racing stripe across my watermelon... Otherwise, I just use the Sordin's alone.

Indoors I now wear both ear pro together pretty religiously. The custom plugs really make it just about as comfortable as wearing only one set. It's just plain better. You can do an 6-8 hour indoor range training/qualification/class and drive home without a headache and no ringing... it's nice.

I'm pretty sure they include the Total Block inserts if you ever want to try them (if not they're like $10), just try not to lose them and/or don't throw them out (be careful because they just look like two little pebbles of silicone).

Last edited:
The thing with the Impulse ones is that they really work best when worn alone, under active muffs it's a wash... IMO you should never really wear just the plugs alone around a loud/braked rifle, and IMO the Impulse's are pretty much just for handguns/PCC's outdoors, when one set of ear pro will cut it.

I do sometimes swap to the filters in the plugs when shooting like that, but just because TN gets hotter and more humid than hell, so I sometimes sweat like a dog, but mostly, because of my hairdo and if it's sunny/bright and I don't have a hat. My hairdo of choice is bald, and I don't want a headband tan-line like some sort of wrong way racing stripe across my watermelon... Otherwise, I just use the Sordin's alone.

Indoors I now wear both ear pro together pretty religiously. The custom plugs really make it just as comfortable as wearing only one set. It's just plain better. You can do an 6-8 hour indoor range training/qualification/class and drive home without a headache and no ringing... it's nice.

I'm pretty sure they include the Total Block inserts if you ever want to try them (if not they're like $10), just try not to lose them and/or don't throw them out (be careful because they just look like two little pebbles of silicone).
That is interesting as I told them that I shoot a rifle and will wear them under active muffs.

I'll check out the total block as well.

That is interesting as I told them that I shoot a rifle and will wear them under active muffs.

I'll check out the total block as well.

Don't get me wrong the Impulse filters are great, but when worn under Sordin's it really just means you don't have to turn them (Sordin's) up as much. It's a "nice to have" not "need to have" is all... they are nicer.

Reactions: Nik H