• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is there any way to center my widage adjustments?

KQguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2008
Ohio
I just put a 40moa base on my 7mmWSM,and I had to move my windage 7moa to the right to get zeroed at 100yds.Now my widage adjustments is even farther off on my Nightforce scope.I now have 47moa of left windage adj.,and only 17 moa of right windage adj..Is there anything I can do to get things more centered up?

Re: Is there any way to center my widage adjustments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KQguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just put a 40moa base on my 7mmWSM,and I had to move my windage 7moa to the right to get zeroed at 100yds.Now my widage adjustments is even farther off on my Nightforce scope.I now have 47moa of left windage adj.,and only 17 moa of right windage adj..Is there anything I can do to get things more centered up? </div></div>

Sounds like either the base or the screw holes are not aligned. If both your new and your old bases are off that far then the holes might not be drilled straight. Mine is off by about 5 MOA which I've confirmed with multiple bases, rings, and scopes.

I did have a set of bad rings recently. The same scope with HIGH rings was 6MOA off but when I swapped to MEDs it was 21MOA off. Swapped back and forth to confirm and had the rings replaced by the vendor. With the new MEDs, it's now only 6MOA off which isn't much of an issue for me.

Something to think about.

That means that your scope needed 10 MOA of right windage for a zero before you mounted the new base. That probably means that your mounting holes are not straight with the bore.

If you think that you'll need to dial more than 17 MOA of right windage at some point, the only real alternative is to send the receiver out to have the holes redrilled to a larger size so that they're in line with the bore.

Otherwise, zero your windage knob out, and drive on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That means that your scope needed 10 MOA of right windage for a zero before you mounted the new base. That probably means that your mounting holes are not straight with the bore.

If you think that you'll need to dial more than 17 MOA of right windage at some point, the only real alternative is to send the receiver out to have the holes redrilled to a larger size so that they're in line with the bore.

Otherwise, zero your windage knob out, and drive on.
I am planning on having it REbarreled this winter,is that something a smith can do(align the mounting holes with the bore)?If so,I just won't worry about it right now,I will just get it taken care of this winter.

</div></div>

Yeah, what is generally done in that case is to drill the holes out one screw size oversize. The base holes may need to be opened up as well, but that can be done at the same time.

Thanks Lindy,
I will be sure to tell my smith to take care of that while he's working on it,just more to add to the bill.
frown.gif

Why can't you just go with something like the Burris signature zee rings and try the different inserts. I just had a similar problem and it worked out great for me. Good luck.

USO rings have windage adjustment so after you center the scope you can adjust the rings rather than the scope to adjust for base or screw alignment errors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan46n2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO rings have windage adjustment so after you center the scope you can adjust the rings rather than the scope to adjust for base or screw alignment errors. </div></div>
I really didn't want to change out my rings,because I spent quite a bit of money for Nightforce rings,and I also bought a anti cant/angle cosine device that fits on the Nightforce rings,and I really like that setup.But I appreciate the suggestion,I will keep that in mind,in case I have no other options to get things straightened out.