• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal for a match bullet?

Petrov

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
Western NY
I was loading up some Barnes Match Burner 175's in 308.
The bottoms of the bullet looks like a wash board and my nail was catching on it.

9102453046_afc62e96dc_b.jpg

Only one way to find out....

I think it depends how far the grooves extend to the corner area, I think. Doesn't Lapua stamp some of their bullets back there?

Shoot some side by side with “acceptable” bottoms and report back. I don’t think it will affect much if at all.

Yes, Lapua stamps a badged L on their premium bottom and there was another custom maker putting a dimple on the bottom of theirs. Then there is the old 173 match FMJ that had exposed lead with differing bottom characteristics from one bullet to the next and yet all of the above perform well.

Take a flat surface and some very fine sandpaper and sand the bottoms if you're worried about them.

Alternatively, ship them to me to save you the potential stress of shooting poorly bullets.

Not sure if you are serious. Vortex air coming off the tail can certainly swirl in that region and cause unwanted movement.

I doubt that those marks will have a quantifiable effect on the bullet's flight path. They would have to have enough surface area orthogonal to the vortex flow at the face to actually cause any aerodynamic shifts.

Then again, I'm a cheapskate who shoots pulled 175 SMKs with pull marks all over them.

I doubt that those marks will have a quantifiable effect on the bullet's flight path. They would have to have enough surface area orthogonal to the vortex flow at the face to actually cause any aerodynamic shifts.

Then again, I'm a cheapskate who shoots pulled 175 SMKs with pull marks all over them.

I would say no real effect at short ranges, say less than 400-500yds. What about at 1000+ yds? Probably very noticeable with benchrest and marginally noticeable for ringing steel. Without good measurements and a nice flow modeling analysis, we're all just pissing in the wind. I maintain it could have an effect at distance.

The guy who taught my Sniper class at work (Neil Terry) taught us that the base of the bullet is the most important part for stable flight characteristics. I'm not a ballistician but I take Neil's word at anything shooting. I would try to return those for sure.

Petrov,

No, it's not going to make any sort of measurable difference on target regardless of range. This areas of the bullet isn't really the important area of the bullet where accuracy is concerned. It's already been mentioned that the base is critical to accuracy (and it is), but this isn't it. The critical area is the break, where the bearing surface transitions into the boat tail itself. In a flat based bullet, "the base" is still concerned primarily with that small radius between the bearing surface and the turn to the flat base. Any sort of deformity in this area, be it the radius on a flat base bullet or that break on a boat tail design, will cause problems. But the actual, true base of the bullet is pretty insensitive to minor deformities, especially as they get closer to the CG and center of axis of the bullet. A previous poster mentioned that we stamp this portion of some of our line (and that's true), and it happens to be our premium Scenar L series of match bullets. No negative effect on accuracy whatsoever. I would also point out that most FMJ Match bullets, such as the M72, M118 or out own Lock Base designs, geneally have some minor irregularities at the base where the visible lead is exposed. Still, they shoot just fine. You'll be fine here, just shoot them and don't sweat it overf the base. If there is any issue with how they shoot, the problems rests somewhere else, in some other aspect of the bullet's construction.

The only real test is to shoot side by side with non-washboard bases. My guess is: it will effect accuracy, as to obtain that "washboard" base, metal was displaced, therefore it is reasonable to conclude the displacement was not done in a manner that is good for "balance". Regardless what some experts may say, balance is important in a bullets construction. Usually described as concentricity (jacket and core). If you get a chance to shoot some side by side tests, please post the results!