• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this on accurately acceptable from a remington sps ?

cr4zy3y3s

Private
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
Uk. Somerset
Guys I'm fairly new to remington rifles and have been seriously enjoying my sps tac in .223 of late. I decided to punch in some range time and test the groups about more. I had the target out at 150yds the steel measures in at 8inch dia and I tested a few different makes of factory ammo. Moved on to the vmax stuff (new batch) shot this 3 string group.

The rifle is completely factory and is suppressed by a wildcat predator 8. The data was inputed into ballistic and i screen shot off to keep it as accurate as pos.

I must say I am happy with this rifle but is it on par with what should be expected from a factory rifle firing factory ammo?

Kindest regards

null_zps05362f6a.png

You are making it harder to figure out on a quick comparison with your 150' distance. If you have a .5 inch group at 150 yards than I think that is about typical for the best remington factory rifles generally have. your computer program says it is around .3 moa, You should be happy with that.

Cheers Bradley I ain't a paper puncher and would just be interested in what the other remington shooters out there running factory set ups are getting at about the same range. This was shot in field off a bipod on the hogue stock ( I have a AI on order for comparison ) this was to test is it running on par with what others are getting etc.

I am happy with it personally tho sir

Kindest regards

Cheers Bradley I ain't a paper puncher and would just be interested in what the other remington shooters out there running factory set ups are getting at about the same range. This was shot in field off a bipod on the hogue stock ( I have a AI on order for comparison ) this was to test is it running on par with what others are getting etc.

I am happy with it personally tho sir

Kindest regards

I'd sell it, you can do better..... All joking aside, I've shot Remington bolt guns for over 30 years. I haven't shot factory ammo in one for darn near 30 years, but even with my hand loads I'm pretty happy if I can get a factory gun to consistently at 1/2 moa from the bench. If yours will consistently shoot .3 moa, you've got yourself a real winner IMHO!

I got a new stock on route rem so I am hoping it will improve things. I was really pleased to see it perform on steel especially as the rifle has been cleanly shot after shot hitting the POA on Charlie but in truth I was sure what I was to expect from the sps tactical rifle.. By the response on here it seems that it is exceeding what a factory rifle should be.

I only ask as you hear stories of people stating they shot a 1/4moa group in a sandstorm whilst being noshed off and if you and your rifle can't achieve it then pack up.

I think with the response on here I may just treat her to a few more things like tactical bolt and maybe try for a vortex scope

I'm not saying 1/4 minute isn't possible, but don't expect it out of every stock gun. Check out the "best bull sizzle someone told you and was serious" thread in Maggie's Bar and Grill forum and you'll find a few more stories to add to your collection!

Good luck with the rifle, it sounds like a keeper to me.

Three round groups won't tell you much. If you want to shoot groups, shoot five or ten round groups.

hi graham if i was reloading then i would be shooting 5 round groups but because this is factory ammo im using it doesn't seem worth it as we all know they are not as consistent as home loads.

atvbr

max...

hi graham if i was reloading then i would be shooting 5 round groups but because this is factory ammo im using it doesn't seem worth it as we all know they are not as consistent as home loads.
Factory ammo can be very consistent - consistently accurate, like match ammo, or consistently bad like cheap military surplus.

The reason I am saying to shoot more rounds is to have a better representation of the accuracy from a larger statistical sample. And don't forget to call your shots and exclude the flyers that you know you created.

Factory ammo can be very consistent - consistently accurate, like match ammo, or consistently bad like cheap military surplus.

The reason I am saying to shoot more rounds is to have a better representation of the accuracy from a larger statistical sample. And don't forget to call your shots and exclude the flyers that you know you created.

planning a range day again to check the data and do some more groups so ill post up once thats completed.

atvbr

max...

Guys I'm fairly new to remington rifles and have been seriously enjoying my sps tac in .223 of late. I decided to punch in some range time and test the groups about more. I had the target out at 150yds the steel measures in at 8inch dia and I tested a few different makes of factory ammo. Moved on to the vmax stuff (new batch) shot this 3 string group.

The rifle is completely factory and is suppressed by a wildcat predator 8. The data was inputed into ballistic and i screen shot off to keep it as accurate as pos.

I must say I am happy with this rifle but is it on par with what should be expected from a factory rifle firing factory ammo?

Kindest regards

null_zps05362f6a.png

What app are you using? I want it.

How far do you live from Cinderford Gloustershire? My father in law is from there.

It's not bad at all for stock ammunition. I have the same rifle in 308 and just got into reloading, and I am finding a difference in accuracy even from store bought ammo worth $2.00 a shot. Supressor eh? I wish we could have those in Canada. I assume it is strongly suggested to shoot supressed in the UK on account of noise pollution to residential areas or is it just preference?

Cheers!

OP,

How small would you like your groups to be? I already know the answer, you'd like zero dispersion. You'd like the distance from point of aim and point of impact to have no measurable value. Now, think what it takes to achieve those results. You need to produce a uniform and constant trajectory. How do you get that? You get it from properly pointing the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pulling the trigger without disturbing aim, utilizing smooth trigger control. That stuff is about you, not the gun.

Of course, some rifles shoot better than others. Match conditioned barrels, and bedding may improve the consistency of the rifle. Match grade ammunition may also be more consistent than the stuff we "plink" with; but, with any rifle/ammunition you bring to the firing line, it's the consistency of your relationship between the gun and the ground which will improve your shooting the most, assuming you have mastered the fundamentals and you can properly counter for wind and weather effects.

My point, good shooting today is mostly about you; thus, you should be focusing on what it is you need to do to improve grouping rather than spending too much time pondering the rifle. With your initial grouping you have established that the rifle is not broken, that's to say, bullets are going the the direction the barrel is pointed, so why not now move on to practicing to develop muscle memory and working on the other minutia of things which will promote shooter consistency.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies gents, my reason for staring this thread is you hear soooo many people state they are getting 1/4moa etc so with this being my 1st remington 700 and not many remington 700 tactical shooters in the uk (most use howa) with .223 so comparison is slightly difficult.

I am truly happy and content with the rifle and set up and have bagged a sufficient amount of fur using this set-up.

I trained to shoot in the army and always employ the marksmanship principles whilst shooting.

Atvbr and again thank you.

Max...
Ps it's ballistic AE programme

What app are you using? I want it.

How far do you live from Cinderford Gloustershire? My father in law is from there.

It's not bad at all for stock ammunition. I have the same rifle in 308 and just got into reloading, and I am finding a difference in accuracy even from store bought ammo worth $2.00 a shot. Supressor eh? I wish we could have those in Canada. I assume it is strongly suggested to shoot supressed in the UK on account of noise pollution to residential areas or is it just preference?

Cheers!

Not far mate about 1hr away.

The suppressor is one of the things most of us get as well "why not" ;) it does help reduce peed off neighbours tho haha

i have this app, ballistic ae, but am not sure how to use all the functions.
anyone know a good place to look that explains all the features of the app????