• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this reloading equipment/components worth it

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
A friend is selling all his .50 BMG reloading stuff. Heres what he sent me as a list for $650.00 shipped.

<span style="font-style: italic">This stuff has been sitting for around 8 years.

The primers look like brand new.

I looked down in the primed cases and those primers look new.

The ones in the ammo boxes have been closed up the whole time.

The ones in the boards have been just like that the whole time.

The dies have rust around the knurling and I could see very small spots inside the depriming die. I'm sure it can all be either wire wheeled off or polished out.

The Press goes up and down smooth as it ever did. I kept it oiled and functional.

The ammo box on the left is seperated by year...military ammo. I shot them all. The ammo box on the right is a mix of different years.

The copper colored cases in the boards are from PMC. I believe there are only 20. I bought those new and shot them too.

<span style="font-weight: bold">168 .50 BMG Primers CCI No. 35, around 500 .50 BMG Pulled Bullets 647 gr. look good, A number of Primed .50 BMG...some deprimed and cleaned.</span></span>

50reload1.jpg

50reload7.jpg

50reload3.jpg

50reload5.jpg

Since then he said hes cleaned it all up with some WD-40, brillo pads and a wire brush, he claims it looks like new almost.

He wants $650 for the whole thing, including a Forster .50 case trimmer that was never used.
50reload8.jpg

He said i can send him half, he'll send the stuff, if I dont like it, he'll send my money back.

What do you think?

Re: Is this reloading equipment/components worth it

My suggestion for stuff like this:

Add up the current retail value assuming that you could walk into your local supplier and drop the cash on the table and have it in hand.

Take 60-70% of that value, depending on how nice it looks.

That's fair IMO. If you can't find something you really need, 75% might be worth it to you used.

To me...it looks like all that "equipment" has been out in the garage for many years. I am not a fan of rust on anything so that would be a big cause for a pause.
Plus...and someone else needs to chime in here that has more knowledge then me on the subject...but if the primed brass and/or the primers have been stored in the same area and subject to the same moisture as the press....they are probably no good or at best suspect.

It's your hard earned money...but I have learned (the hard way) over the years that a "bargain" sometimes cost you more in the long run then buying exactly what you want out of the gate.

Good luck,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me...it looks like all that "equipment" has been out in the garage for many years. I am not a fan of rust on anything so that would be a big cause for a pause.
Plus...and someone else needs to chime in here that has more knowledge then me on the subject...but if the primed brass and/or the primers have been stored in the same area and subject to the same moisture as the press....they are probably no good or at best suspect.

It's your hard earned money...but I have learned (the hard way) over the years that a "bargain" sometimes cost you more in the long run then buying exactly what you want out of the gate.

Good luck,Stan </div></div>

Very good point about the primed brass and primers.

What are the 500 bullets worth alone? Looks like a fair deal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me...it looks like all that "equipment" has been out in the garage for many years. I am not a fan of rust on anything so that would be a big cause for a pause.

Very good point about the primed brass and primers. </div></div>

Agree with Stan and bohem. If that's the overall condition of the press, then I wonder what kind of condition your friend has been keeping the primed brass and primers. I wouldn't kid around with the 50 BMG. You definitely don't want to be in a situation where there is a hang fire and the bolt is not in lock position, because you wanted to know why your round didn't go off when the trigger was pulled. That's not a pretty picture.

If I was gonna reload .50 BMG (and I would not want to), I would invest in a good Hollywood press, and fab a nice air driven or hydraulic actuator for the press.

That's just me.

Hang fires in any gun should be counted off (I do thirty seconds but ten is probably sufficient) before extracting, just in case it isn't just a dud.

Hard to say based on the photos. The most likely downside to inadequate storage of primers and primed cases would be inconsistent ignition, not necessarily hang fires. Primers are hard to kill but can suffer from improper storage. Chrongraphing would tell you more about their quality as compared to well kept or new primers. Powders kept in their containers keep surprisingly well too, though better in cool locations.

VictorinTN is quite knowledgeable on the subject. You mught send him a PM if he hasn't already seen this as Moderator.

It looks like a decent deal to me. You'll be suprised what a little 4/0 steel wool and some light oil will do.

Thanks for the help.

It seems like a good price considering...even if I have to pull the primers, the brass and the bullets are fine.

He did say that he used some WD-40 and some steel wool and cleaned it up real well, he said that 90% of the rust is gone off everything.

Thanks.

Tell him you will give him some old Busa parts.
grin.gif

Don't let any WD-40 get around the primers or powder. It'll kill them dead as a door nail.

Re: Is this reloading equipment/components worth i

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CVO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell him you will give him some old Busa parts.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Hey, who's this....Jimp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me...it looks like all that "equipment" has been out in the garage for many years. I am not a fan of rust on anything so that would be a big cause for a pause.

Very good point about the primed brass and primers. </div></div>

Bohem is right . The primers will be OK but the brass will have aged and neck hardened to some degree. I would not even consider the brass in the valuation . A few spots of rust is no big mechanical deal but it does not look good so it reduces the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lofty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CVO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell him you will give him some old Busa parts.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Hey, who's this....Jimp? </div></div>

Yep
cool.gif

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8688

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Country</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Bohem is right . The primers will be OK but the brass will have aged and neck hardened to some degree. I would not even consider the brass in the valuation . A few spots of rust is no big mechanical deal but it does not look good so it reduces the price.

</div></div>

Would annealing the brass make it serviceable again if it was brittle?

Brass, if you can find it is running .75 each (05'/06' LC)
#35 primers $115 to $129 500
647gr ball ammo - gone
Pulled API's .22-.25 If you can find them. I just checked Hi-Tech all out
frown.gif

Powder - what's that?
frown.gif

Lee 50bmg press with dies $175 from widener's. Say what you will it loads good for me.