• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this the new budget scope to beat? SWFA is on notice!

So i guess that a tool less turret zero is a nice feature. But then leads me to another question. How many times are you re zeroing your turrets? And why?

I thought the whole purpose of a zero and turrets was to be able to dial when conditions change? I don't have a dope book yet because every time I shoot I'm changing something. But once you have your load and a 100 yard zero you should be able to dial or hold for everything else, right? I wouldn't think id be messing with re zeroing the turrets all the time.

Thank you for the info though.
I rezero most days when I shoot because the zero can change by 1-2 tenths, and I also switch my scope between 3-4 different guns depending on what I'm doing.

Does 1-2 tenths matter? Not a huge amount, but your zero can also change by more than that when you are in drastically different locations and conditions. It's just nice to have the peace of mind of knowing your zero is exactly correct each time you go out to shoot, rather than wonder if you should add/subtract a couple tenths each time.

Re-zeroing and recording your new zero with the given conditions can also help you better understand how your zero shifts in different conditions. It might go higher on a really hot and humid day where the DA is high, but lower where it's freezing and bone dry. With enough data you can start to predict and changes in zero before you shoot, and it's an extra fun little game to play with yourself.

I rezero most days when I shoot because the zero can change by 1-2 tenths, and I also switch my scope between 3-4 different guns depending on what I'm doing.

Does 1-2 tenths matter? Not a huge amount, but your zero can also change by more than that when you are in drastically different locations and conditions. It's just nice to have the peace of mind of knowing your zero is exactly correct each time you go out to shoot, rather than wonder if you should add/subtract a couple tenths each time.

Re-zeroing and recording your new zero with the given conditions can also help you better understand how your zero shifts in different conditions. It might go higher on a really hot and humid day where the DA is high, but lower where it's freezing and bone dry. With enough data you can start to predict and changes in zero before you shoot, and it's an extra fun little game to play with yourself.
Very well explained. I understand 100%. Thank you.

@Bender thanks. I know this post is old-ish but since all the SWFA’s are MIA, I got the 2.5-10 from CL thanks to this post and got in trouble with The Boss.

Dam bosses! Mines about to come down hard when I pull the trigger on a rrs this month

I looked at a Bushnell 3-12x44 Nitro @JMGlasgow had last week. Ordered one from Doug at Camera Land. Showed up today.
After playing with it my initial take is, if this performs, SWFA better put in some work.

For $250 you get a NIB FFP 3-12 with a tree reticle, decent glass, very robust construction, tool-less zero, AND sunshade with Butler style spring loaded scope cap? With a no BS warranty? Made in Korea??? NOT CHINA like the “other guys” budget scopes??

This is just unboxing pics but I’ll update this after I put it on a rifle and do a side by side comparison with my SWFA 10x.

View attachment 7328248View attachment 7328249View attachment 7328254View attachment 7328255View attachment 7328256View attachment 7328257
I liked my Nitro far more than any of the SWFA optics I've owned over the years.
Had some issues with SWFA failing me more than once, and don't trust their QC nowadays...
Yet, all optics can and will fail, given enough time and use.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I liked my Nitro far more than any of the SWFA optics I've owned over the years.
Had some issues with SWFA failing me more than once, and don't trust their QC nowadays...
Yet, all optics can and will fail, given enough time and use.
I’m looking forwards to my 2.5-10 for my new toy I just finished building. It should be here any day now.

I guess they dropped them to $199 shipped. Its what I got at checkout. And for a 22lr this is going to be a dang good scope! Op thanks for posting this.

Reactions: Bender
I guess they dropped them to $199 shipped. Its what I got at checkout. And for a 22lr this is going to be a dang good scope! Op thanks for posting this.

I snagged the $199 2.5x10-44 FFP MIL today. Going to put it on my Fieldcraft and see how we like it. I actually love my 6x SWFA, but the reticle has a bad habit of disappearing in some low light situations.

I snagged the $199 2.5x10-44 FFP MIL today. Going to put it on my Fieldcraft and see how we like it. I actually love my 6x SWFA, but the reticle has a bad habit of disappearing in some low light situations.

Agreed! I owned a 6x a while back, and variable power is a bit better 😁. Now a 10x swfa I had a while back was nice. As for this cameraland Bushnell for $199 deal hard to beat!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
Trying hard to resist the 4-16 or 6-24 scope

The 3-12 is very nice for money

Is bushnell replacing the nitro line with the match pro line.
Like - officially? Nah, they aren't. There's a decent amount of overlap though and I've seen/heard of some Nitros being warrantied out with Match Pros though.

Thanks for this input looks like a pretty good feature

My 3-12x Nitro broke recently. Was atop a 5.56 rifle for its entire life of a few months. The objective lens rubber gasket started separating from the edges and the reticle was shifting in the FOV from recoil. The reticle was still zero’d though. Bummer.

My 3-12x Nitro broke recently. Was atop a 5.56 rifle for its entire life of a few months. The objective lens rubber gasket started separating from the edges and the reticle was shifting in the FOV from recoil. The reticle was still zero’d though. Bummer.

Shoot me a PM with your contact info and we'll figure out what's going on with your scope.

-Dan

I picked up a 3-12 ffp mil. Actually very happy with it on my 224v AR. Got it zeroed, put the caps back on, and easy holds to 600 and beyond.

I got mine from MidwayUSA. Not sure if they have any more of that model.

Just checked - they're gone.

Actually if these had high(er) end glass with the same feature set I'd buy a few more, even at a higher price.

Reactions: winxp_man
I put a Nitro 3-12 FFP on my Tikka T1X and am very happy. This thread is giving me an itch for another.

I bought a discounted .308 ADL for my best friend last weekend. The ahole turned around and gave me the money for it and then sneaked it into my gear room before driving back to Florida. He knew I wanted one, so he turned my gift into his gift. With friends like these...

So the Nitro 2.5-10x44 is going on that rifle, and it will be my learning platform for sponge camo painting. Next time he comes to town I'm going to sneak it into his truck!