• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this unreasonable to ask...

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I get an email, like i do everyday about someone's post count:

I had over 100 posts before the board change and now have only 5. I cant post in the classifieds now.

Can this be fixed? Ive been a member since 2003.

So usually I just ignore them, but on the fly I answered...

No

it is what is ...

Read the endless number of posts on the subject

In response I get

That's fine. go on and cancel my membership

And my answer to that was...

I only delete accounts if you send a picture with you crying real tears.

And the guy swears at me,

how about you kiss my ass.
    Will that work you fucking prick.

I mean here I am trying to help and I get yelled at, it hurts my feelings.

I may have to lie in bed all day to recover from the smack down.

I definitely wouldn't refund his membership fee and I would take away his Team Member status.

It's endemic. Either that, or maybe Barf.com has been off-line lately. Yesterday this guy with 91 posts, posting AK pics from his basement, says he's one state over from me and threatens to kick my ass. Yup: Using a computer to make interstate threats... and this moron owns weapons.

Frank, In the wake of the recent rash of ten-post experts, I like more and more your idea of designating certain members as people who are known to know something. I have no idea whether I would qualify, but using a separate name color for members who have a clue might not hurt.

Last edited:
    Thanks, I needed the laugh.
    A member since 2003, only 100 posts. Kinda shy ain't he? Or maybe just uses the Hide to sell stuff. I dunno, could be most anything...except courteous.

Ya, I am thinking of something like ambassadors, and separating changing the designations a bit.
    Of course, you and I could just stop being 'pricks' and instead start 'kissing ass' to pacify passive-agreesive morons....

On second thought, nevermind that.

Last edited:
    It may be the time of year. Had a "chad" go all unraveled yesterday in the Shoutbox because he couldn't sell s scope with a post count of zero.

Low post count people can always pay to play...

We set up a new user for sale section that costs $20 for 21 days so they can list stuff... if your post count changed and it is that important, pay the $20 and move along.

It's not like we didn't give people option in order to help reduce the number of people trying to run up to 100 or who get butt hurt when they can't sell, now they can, it just costs a bit.

I've seen posts of people losing 1,000+ off their post count - they were distraught, but they got over it and continue to contribute to the community.

Losing 100 posts is moot and distasteful to hear them complain about it....there's no cost to post and (last time I checked) forum membership is free. I say to this guy, get over it....

Last edited:
    It's not like we didn't give people option in order to help reduce the number of people trying to run up to 100 or who get butt hurt when they can't sell, now they can, it just costs a bit.
    It's not the the cost to you that I object to, it's the cost to the established membership of having the lunatic fringe stop-by to crap in our yard until their friends get told to pick up after their pet.

BTW, I lost about 1800 posts and the world didn't end. In fact, when compared to the quality of the week I was having when it happened, it wasn't such a big deal.

Last edited:
    It happened, nothing we can do about it and I made that clear. I also noted I was not going in and individually trying to adjust it. In a few cases we tried early on and once you update the board it puts it back. So why bother.

I want to know who were the geniuses in the SB that told the guy to PM me about buying a scope ? I get this random PM asking if I wanted to buy some rocket scientist's NF.

I figure the SB crew was trying to fast track to the head of the line at the banning party.

I figure the SB crew was trying to fast track to the head of the line at the banning party.
    Don't even think of having a banning party without inviting me. I have a '92 Chateau Lafite and some Hoyo de Monterrey Epicures that pair well with sorrow - and I'm willing to share.

What a douchebag!! The site seems filled with them at times. I don't know how many times in the last month or so I've dropped in on the "Site Information" sub-forum and referred someone to the multitude of updates (usually just 10-15 posts further down the page) that explain the futility of their complaining or their stupidity for having to ask a question that is clearly answered right in front of their noses if they'd take 5 minutes to look!! I can only imagine how damned frustrating it is to be spammed with countless e-mails/PMs per day asking the same, inane, bull$#!t questions over and over again. The "newbie know-it-alls" have become a growing source of aggravation and frustration too...although I have admittedly not had anyone threaten to cross state lines to give me an ass-whooping to me yet, but I feel your anguish and humiliation, Graham!! ;)

That said...I'm with you and Graham on the appointing of "Ambassadors" or something along those lines in an effort to curb some of the problems. It may help...it may not...but it seems like a good idea worth trying for awhile.

On a side note...if people do starting sending in pictures to you of them crying big crocodile tears because of lost posts, inability to post @#$% for sale (or to read posts that clearly explain the issues), asking that their accounts be deleted, then I for one vote that we erect a "Sniper's Hide Wall of Shame" where said pictures can be posted and viewed (and mocked too) with all due disrespect owed to the sniffling little crybabies!

The idea of a color change might fit the bill too.
    Please don't, we have enough with heads so big a color change would only increase their pressure. Think of the children, before you do it!

Frank, In the wake of the recent rash of ten-post experts, I like more and more your idea of designating certain members as people who are known to know something. I have no idea whether I would qualify, but using a separate name color for members who have a clue might not hurt.

Daily, I seem to be the smatest motherf***er on this site, make my name teal blue, I just like that color.

Gee, another website owner, staff, etc complaining about dealing with the general public. Now that's a new one.
    Srsly, this webmaster grousing has been going on since the UBB & vBulletin software hit the Internet.

If it's so all-darned bad to deal with the complainers, why doesn't the average fed-up webmaster just foldup the site and leave?
    1st = M-O-N-E-Y. Even if the site starts out with the most egalitarian ideals, after the advertising starts, the income is always the reason they keep running it.

2nd is noteriety, and with a distant few, like the barfcom bunch - running their own little kingdom.

So, if you're pissed off at all us poor examples of humanity, it looks like you have three choices.
    - Sell the damned place and walk.
    - Merge with lightfighter.net and throw off anyone that isn't an operator, or
    - Instead of lying in bed all day, lie on a couch and whine to a shrink.

I dunno...

To me it looks like he responded to a smart-assed comment with typical testosterone-laced hostility.

What kind of response would you *expect* to get when you tell them "I only delete accounts if you send a picture of yourself crying real tears" ???

ETA: I'm a smart-ass, so I'm well versed in what kind of responses you get from being a smart ass. I'd say this one was par for the course.

AF8cvLt.jpg

MAN UP!

I was a Field Marshal prior to the website redesign. Only heroic duties merit such a rank.

Now I'm a lowly Gunny. Forced to dine and associate with the enlisted troops.

Gee, another website owner, staff, etc complaining about dealing with the general public. Now that's a new one.
    Srsly, this webmaster grousing has been going on since the UBB & vBulletin software hit the Internet.

If it's so all-darned bad to deal with the complainers, why doesn't the average fed-up webmaster just foldup the site and leave?
    1st = M-O-N-E-Y. Even if the site starts out with the most egalitarian ideals, after the advertising starts, the income is always the reason they keep running it.

2nd is noteriety, and with a distant few, like the barfcom bunch - running their own little kingdom.

So, if you're pissed off at all us poor examples of humanity, it looks like you have three choices.

Somehow I don't think that there is any subsequent reflection on the decision making when dealing with cake eating REMF's.

As to the money, I doubt anyone here gives a crap about the equation. It certainly hasn't cost me anything to be here, except time.

It happened, nothing we can do about it and I made that clear. I also noted I was not going in and individually trying to adjust it. In a few cases we tried early on and once you update the board it puts it back. So why bother.

I want to know who were the geniuses in the SB that told the guy to PM me about buying a scope ? I get this random PM asking if I wanted to buy some rocket scientist's NF.

Yeah, I read that and got a kick out of it

In case you haven't noticed toots, this is his own personal kingdom and serf input is taken only with a number...

NEXT!

Having a lot of experience running forums, this sort of thing is the primary reason why we disabled the display of people's post counts when they post. Sure, there is some truth to the idea that post count can be used as an indicator of maturity or experience, but there's also a lot of blowhards who post a lot and don't know dick.

If you've set a precedent like the 100 post count to BST, then obviously those who now have less than 100 posts (and don't like to post a lot) are going to be butthurt, and feel like they shouldn't have to pay to sell stuff. Not really much you can do if you've given them an option and that they disagree with.

I've been doing this forum thing for over a decade, and despite having only the best intentions for my userbase, you're pretty much screwed no matter what. You'll never please everyone, and no matter how awesome you think what you're doing is, there's always going to be haters.

Over time I stopped blowing my stack and started being zen about it. I still lose it every so often, but overall it's easier to just ignore the haters and stroll on...

honestly, who gives a shit what you or my post count is... my god, it's just a friggen number for Christ sake. Just because you have a huge post count doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about. Take me for example! I have well over 1000posts and I still continue to post BS crap that is half made up and other political crap that pisses lowlight off 24/7. LOL ;)

lowlight, would I get an extra 1000 post points if I get you a picture of killshot and myself in bed together with a firm grasp on is POF pistol grip?

So I get an email, like i do everyday about someone's post count:

So usually I just ignore them, but on the fly I answered...

In response I get

And my answer to that was...

And the guy swears at me,

honestly, who gives a shit what you or my post count is... my god, it's just a friggen number for Christ sake. Just because you have a huge post count doesn't mean you know what the hell you're talking about. Take me for example! I have well over 1000posts and I still continue to post BS crap that is half made up and other political crap that pisses lowlight off 24/7. LOL ;)

lowlight, would I get an extra 1000 post points if I get you a picture of killshot and myself in bed together with a firm grasp on is POF pistol grip?
    In my case, my post count has nothing to do with my ability or lack thereof in the long rage shooting world. I came here to learn and am doing that in spades. My posts are more likely going to be about asking questions, offering low-level advice on non-long range subjects that I may actually know an iota about, and just regular BS because I, like many others here, just like being a part of this bigger community loosely called "The Hide".

In my case, post count just reflects my general interest in what's going on here. And apparently I have no real life.

Last edited:
    I had no posts and lost no posts should I be crying?

Yes. It's obvious you were singled out to be left out. You should PM Lowlight and ask if he can take some away so you will feel like one of the group. Also ask him if he wants to buy a scope.

Sweet Jesus, I can think of a million more important things to get excited about besides loosing post count. Just ask me.

F'in
    Rthur

Sir -

Don't assume. I was quietly, and contentedly, watching baseball the whole time!

Bill

Sorry Clyde, your case was extremely rare and fit the parameters LL mentioned so I figured it had a solid chance of being you.

In my defense I did say you seemed like a decent guy...

When I was a lowly E-3 Pilot Candidate in the ANG, the First Sergeant in charge of the student flight I was assigned to gave me a friendly piece of advice, career NCO (20+ in Corps before going ANG) to future officer:

"Never miss a good opportunity to shut the fuck up."

More people should pass that nugget of advice on...

To directly answer the question being asked here; "Is this unreasonable to ask..."

No, it wasn't an unreasonable question.

Additionally, given the circumstances with the new software, it is also completely reasonable to tell people "sorry, can't do anything about the post count".

I dont post a lot per se but i understand where he was coming from at first but at no time would i ever go off on someone like that. Idiot can just take part of a discussion and get over it.
    Lowlight, i would have has a similar response. Rock on.

Can we fine him and buy a bottle of the small batch distillery bourbon in the thread below this one????

Gotta admit the first time I logged on after the change I did a double take to see my post count cut down by about a third. All my old, deleted PMs came back somehow, took a while to clear them out. Overall I like the new system, and I figure everyone else's counts got cut too by some percentage, so what.

But to complain about it to the owner/moderator?

Dude, deal.

Besides, it's not like Google/NSA/INTERPOL don't have a record of all your posts anyway ;-)

how about you kiss my ass.
    Will that work you fucking prick.

Not very original. Probably a cut and paste from ARFCOM. Could have at least said, "How about you kiss my (insert adjective) ass." And, "Will that work you little fucking prick," would have been a much stronger statement.

Probabl

Sorry Clyde, your case was extremely rare and fit the parameters LL mentioned so I figured it had a solid chance of being you.

In my defense I did say you seemed like a decent guy...

... which is, I must admit, among the nicest things e'r said about me!

First of all change the post count required to have privileges to 200. Second if a color change is to be made I suggest only doing it to fags. Example is RAINBOW.

It may be the time of year. Had a "chad" go all unraveled yesterday in the Shoutbox because he couldn't sell s scope with a post count of zero.

Lets's see. Veer has been cyber-stalking Maser and sharing his findings by P.M.s to Hide members trying to get a Hide Member to turn Maser into CPS. You know, for the good of the kids, not because of Veer's personal vendetta against Maser.

Read from bottom to top:

d2kUU4s.jpg

So spare us the good Hide member crap.

Last edited:
    LL,
    Not that my opinion matters for dick,, but you run a quality board here. I'm sure lot of people looked around for an adult alternative to barf.com and are glad they stumbled on the 'hide.

Just my QEII adjusted $0.02