• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IsnBedding a Tacticool Stock Necessary?

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
I just picked up a Tacticool stock for my Savage MkII trainer. Is it recommended or not necessary on a rimfire?

I just received a used one for my 10/22. I think I'll go ahead and bed it, just for the practice. Not sure it's going to do anything for accuracy, though. Can't hurt...
Awesome stock, by the way.

If you're concerned with accuracy, go ahead and bed it.

I have found that it is necessary to bed them I have had 2 and on both the wood was so soft that depending on the weather when you pulled it out of the safe POI would be all over the place. Still accurate, but I would have to zero it every time I shot it.

In a side by side comparison I didn't notice much difference in accuracy when I bedded my 93r. However, the inletting of the tacticool creates a lot of weak pressure points that in my opinion will not hold up very well to any practical use. You certainly won't hurt the accuracy with a proper bedding job and the action area needs all of the extra strength it can get! I'd consider it mandatory for anything other than a bench rest rifle.

Although I haven't seen that stock for a Savage MkII trainer I did look at 5 of them for a 10/22 and all 5 had the worse in-letting of any stocks I've ever seen. Luckily for the 10/22 there are volumes of better options.

Although I haven't seen that stock for a Savage MkII trainer I did look at 5 of them for a 10/22 and all 5 had the worse in-letting of any stocks I've ever seen. Luckily for the 10/22 there are volumes of better options.

Picked up an unfinished one a while back to try and never shot a round through the rifle while it was in that stock. Inleting was offset to one side and was loose enought that if I had used it I would have needed to bed it. To the OP bedding never hurts so if you're up to the task go for it.

Well the inletting on Boyds stocks is huge. I'm sure it is for cost saving during manufacturing. I bought a "rimfire hunter" for my savage mark II and plan on bedding it. Here is a before picture.

PICT0299_zps0f355a9a.jpg

I pillar bedded my Savage TR in a Tacticool stock. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference, but I can no longer blame the fitment...