• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Issues changing barrel on a Seekins SP10

Capt.Jollyrancher

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2018
Purdue
Ive started changing the barrel on my SP10 6.5cr and having issues. Ive removed all of the set screws and have nothing mechanically holding the barrel in but it still will not pull from the receiver. Soaking in oil now to remove what carbon if any still remains. It will move a fraction when twisting but its all I can get out of it. No this isnt the M model btw. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

heat the receiver, the aluminum will heat and expand allowing the steel barrel to be removed
Not familiar with that technique, any detrimental effects on the strength of the receiver afterwards? Use hairdryer heat, electric heat gun heat or break out the weedburner?

A regular propane blow torch is adequate.
A significant amount of heat is what you are saying? Ive never put a torch on a AR for any reason so please understand ignorance. To be honest its giving me anxiety just thinking of hitting my SP10 with a flame. A electric heat gun wouldnt be sufficient?

If the barrel is able to wiggle in the reciever just get a wooden dowel and tap the barrel out.

Or hold barrel upright and tap down on receiver w/ plastic hammer. If you've already got a little wiggle that usually works for me. If it doesn't work a hair dryer/tapping might, if not - heat gun. A torch will work to but you're just trying expand it a bit, not melt it off!

Thanks gents, hair dryer and a dowel and back on track. I understand why GAP uses the Seekins platform, very tight tolerances.

Almost positive I would have sent it back to Seekins before I struck a flame.

A significant amount of heat is what you are saying? Ive never put a torch on a AR for any reason so please understand ignorance. To be honest its giving me anxiety just thinking of hitting my SP10 with a flame. A electric heat gun wouldnt be sufficient?

No. Sorry for the late response and looks like you got it anyway. Always use the least obscure method first, which you did. A light touch with a propane torch is just a quicker way to do it, and it won't hurt anything, besides plastic if you have any near the flame. They work great for relieving brakes stuck on barrels too. You are only using the flame for a short bit, to get the metals "warm", then take them apart. We are not using a plasma cutter here or oxyacetylene. ;)