• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IT Band Tendonitis

vinnieb

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
Tonto Basin, Az.
Anyone had this? Developed this around Thanksgiving and it has been slowly getting better but still flares up every so often, Found some decent stretches and exercises I have been doing but wanted to see what else is out there.

Re: IT Band Tendonitis

I would suggest getting a foam roller, and then proceed to roll them out 2-3 times a day. Plus you can use it on everything else back, legs, hips etc

Stretching exercises for the ITB works in 90%...

I had ITBS in boot camp years ago and it was horrible. Stretching was the only thing that worked for me. Well, that and massive amounts of Motrin. The Marine Corps way!

I have found it horrible myself also. Calling myself a pussy a bunch of times, but damn it hurts. I didn't help it much because right after I got it my son and I had elk tags and I pushed hard thru the hunts but it was worth it. Stretching is definitely helping as are the exercises I found. Going to get the foam roller and give that a try too.

Has anyone tried a deep tissue massage on that area?

+1 on the foam roller, made the biggest difference. Had a few deep tissue massages by the physiotherapist but roller worked best. That and stretching after workouts.

Mine developed after meniscal tear surgery. Try and think if you've changed anything that has brought it on. New shoes? Different running technique or surface?

I had my ITB operated on about 15 months ago. I had a pretty severe case that did not get better with stretching or PT. They ended up cutting a "window" into the ITB to reduce friction.

I went and got a foam roller and it has really helped. The first few times hurt like a bitch, but you can tell it is really starting to loosen up. Pain is going away slowly and most of the time can barely feel it at work now. The roller and other exercises seem to be working well.

Physical Therapy Bands, Foam Roller, Stretching, Motrin, Ice. Repeat once a day for 4 weeks. Folks with really severe IT band do exist, to the point where it creates a horrendous change in gait. I remember as a student helping operate on a pleasant 30yr old who essentially couldn't walk anymore. I don't mean she had a pain with walking or a slight limp, I mean she couldn't adduct her thigh straight to stand. 6 wks post surgery, was back at the gym.

There are some other potential contributing factors to ITB syndrome. Check your shoe wear to see if you pronate (arches roll inward) -sometimes that is problematic. A huge issue seen in or sports medicine practice is weakness of the glute medius. The GM is one of the "butt cheek" muscles that attaches along the lateral side of the femur at the greater trochanter. One of it's primary jobs is to rotate the femur externally (outward). If it is weak, then the femur overly rotates internally and that in turn places an unacceptable amount of stress to the ITB. Good way to test for glute medius weakness is to stand on a small stool, bend the knee on the side that doesn't hurt and do a single legged squat on the leg that has the ITB problem. Pay attention to how much your butt sways to the outside. You should be able to go straight down with the squat - if your hip rotates - your GM is weak. If the GM is weak you can do stretches until the cows come home and you won't get better. A good way to strengthen the GM is to get a piece of black theraband or similarly taut flexible cord. Tie it so that it forms a loop. Place the toes of your feet inside the loop and do side to side (crab) type steps - both to the right and then the left - it helps.

Foam roller, best thing ever. I use it for all kinds of stretching. Had me back in the saddle again in about a week, can't say enough about how good it works.

FYI The gluteus medius and minimus are abductors, the gluteus maximus is an extensor of the thigh... The iliopsoas is a flesor and esternal rotatior of the femur FWIW...
The maximus inserts on the proximal ITB