• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It's not much but it's my 1903A3

Layton

Banned !
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Texas Coast
Always wanted one and a buddy of mine came across a deal I couldn't pass up. It's a rebuild with mostly GI parts and a Criterion barrel. Can't wait to get her out but wanted to show her off. Given i just added a Swede to the collection I've got plenty of fun to keep me occupied for awhile.

L

27d4ba94-899e-4672-818b-6c773aa3ae83_zps5d866524.jpg

IMG_4241_zps0db80ba8.jpg

My compliments. That is a really good looking rifle. You should have lots of fun at the range with it.
Semper Fi

I get a kick out of people complaining about '03's not being "original". All them (unless you have a Junker) have been rebuilt by the Army. When military rifles are designed they are designed with the same specs regardless of what manufacture and in rebuilding they use what parts are available.

That looks like a fine specimen in my book. It has a Criterion barrel??? So what, they are just another manufacture that makes '03 barrels, the difference is they are accurate.

Looks to me you have a shooter to be proud of, now find some CMP Springfield matches and see what she can really do.

Thanks guys! It's not all original but the fun factor is there and that's what I was looking for!

L

BTW, I have a butt load of H4895 so does anyone have any favorite loads for A03s using it with something in the 150s range? Thanks in advance.

L

BTW, I have a butt load of H4895 so does anyone have any favorite loads for A03s using it with something in the 150s range? Thanks in advance.

L

48.5 gr. was the WWII military load. Start @ 46 and work up. In your 1903 you can work up quite a bit higher than 48.5, but watch pressure signs vigilantly above 50 gr.

H4895 is not the same as IMR 4895 so check your loads.

My 1903A1s shoot pretty good with Varget

Cheap Korean M2 (KA = corrosive) doesn't even shoot bad

RL19 shot really, really well but because I load ammo for a Garand also I don't load it.

Thanks! They're close in burn rate and I'm looking for a light load so i'll be starting low anyways. I have a few pounds of Varget so I'll give that a try as well.

PMCLAINE, those are some fine rifles. Love the wood on that Garand.

L

Nice, Layton. I have one that's almost it's twin, but has a '43 barrel date. It's a tack driver, too.

I'm shooting mostly 168s out of it in the last couple years, but it does great with 150s, as well. It doesn't seem to matter what powder, either and I've used both IMR and H 4895, Varget and IMR 4064.

Layton,

Varget is on the verge of being too slow if you don't keep pressures up to regular levels. Remember, in the case of the Garand, it's not the peak pressure but the pressure at the port. A high volume case like the 30-06 not sufficiently loaded could cause the same bent op rod as a case with 4350.

PMmclaine,

Nice shootin' and nice rifles!

CORRECTION: Ixnay on the advice. I was thinking Garand, not 1903. Varget will work just fine....

Last edited: