• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It's now official. JTAC Ranch closing

Boy don't I feel stupid with a $1k .300 Norma barrel...
I’m in a similar situation, lol.

I’ve been up there. For the long range, it’s either a membership, or a one day trial membership for like $80, and you need to qualify - 10 in a row on an IPSC at 400. Yes, In a row. You can take a sighter beforehand, I asked 😂
I’m assuming that they all have to be head shots? Or is it using all weak side? From a loose rope rest? Offhand, sling only? Must be something else to it.
You can do that at SWFL, only range I know of in Fla you can. Other than Manatee.
Volusia too.

So much for Polk being a 2A sanctuary, lol.
This is simply about money priorities. See the early posts. It’s not specifically about shutting down a range. They knew going in that this was a likelihood, since they had to sign a sunset clause to that effect.

The housing development was already in the development plan at that time.

This is simply about money priorities. See the early posts. It’s not specifically about shutting down a range. They knew going in that this was a likelihood, since they had to sign a sunset clause to that effect.

The housing development was already in the development plan at that time.

Yes but this is where the plot thickens for me. I remember hearing very early on that the reason for all the delays was because they switched properties with someone, don't ask me who does this, and that was why they opened late. Whether any of that is true or matters is irrelevant but I find it kind of interesting.

Unless they're adding a road up to SR60, this is an awfully shitty spot for a subdivision. And across the street from an active phosphate mine, semi-surrounded by railroad lines. But hey we don't have enough people living here in FL I guess.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify on 2A sanctuary though. If you call yourself this and exercise the right to sunset a range lease, I don't think you understand what it means. What's next? County commission can decide to stop ammo sales during emergencies?

Yes but this is where the plot thickens for me. I remember hearing very early on that the reason for all the delays was because they switched properties with someone, don't ask me who does this, and that was why they opened late. Whether any of that is true or matters is irrelevant but I find it kind of interesting.

Unless they're adding a road up to SR60, this is an awfully shitty spot for a subdivision. And across the street from an active phosphate mine, semi-surrounded by railroad lines. But hey we don't have enough people living here in FL I guess.

EDIT: What's next? County commission can decide to stop ammo sales during emergencies?

The property that JTAC sits on isn't slated for a housing development. It will be pretty much on its border. IIRC, it's to the north which is within the direction of fire.

Like Lash said, going into this, there was a sunset clause. The owner knew it would eventually get used.
The owner is a very savvy real estate fella.

Re your edit:
That's Pasco County. Sheriff Nocco should address this.
Actually, DeSantis should end it because it doesn't follow Florida laws WRT the 2A.

RE: qualifying at 400yds on full IPSC

At the risk of derailing this thread (sorry),

Further than 400yds. Volume up!

Further than 400yds. again. Volume up!

. . purdy OK trigger control.

./

./

Obviously you haven't shot at some of the other "ranges" if Floriduh.

Obviously you haven't shot at some of the "ranges" in Floriduh.
Not naming names, but some of the folk shootin at those ranges need to "qualify" on that target and distance.
Just sayin-----. :))))

Not naming names, but some of the folk shootin at those ranges need to "qualify" on that target and distance.
I have shot and taught classes in several ranges across Florida for years.
I know exactly what you are saying and agree. LOL
If I were managing that range, I would certainly have similar requirements to at least partially cover our asses.

I know they have to play to the lowest common denominator.

I was just poking fun at the 10 hits at 400 idea since all the members of this shooting forum including me are Quigley reincarnate elitist bastards.
2021-08-03-1_LI.jpg

Being from Looosiana, I'm allowed to make fun of others.

If I were managing that range, I would certainly have similar requirements to at least partially cover our asses.

I was just poking fun at the 10 hits at 400 idea since all the members of this shooting forum including me are Quigley reincarnate elitist bastards.
View attachment 8226399

Yeah but you’re better than Quigley. Some of us just think we are lol

./

That bottom video inspired my 308 gasssr build a few years ago when you posted it on Facebook. Lol
Been following hat creek ever since.

Reactions: Terry Cross

View attachment 8226399

You had to go mention Quigley.
I am a "new" shooter, before I took up the sport and still, Quigley is one of my favorite movies. That Sharps is sharp.

Reactions: Terry Cross

I've been to a few of those ranges a decade ago. Scary

Reactions: lash
Don’t get me wrong I love the Birds. I have lots of friends who come down and fish with me every year I look forward to, It’s just the ones from Europe that have never seen or handled a weapon before scare me at times.

Then the 100 plus year olds who only drive down here from the North East make the roads like a high school driving simulator

Have I seen you at any matches around Florida? I take it that you’re not from Florida. Most people aren’t.

Sadly the world is getting smaller. Friday I am making a road trip to Reno for the last ever Air Races there. There reasons are the same.
NDR

The Floridians can fng shoot. Love my classes. Great people
Those Floridians that I know that actually shoot, can shoot as well as most here, some better, some worse.

Now, that is completely different from the I only go to the range to sight in my barely used hunting rifle crowd. But frankly, I’ve shot at ranges around a few states east of ‘Ol Miss and it’s pretty much the same most places. Except perhaps at dedicated precision rifle ranges.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Have I seen you at any matches around Florida? I take it that you’re not from Florida. Most people aren’t.
If you did, you would remember, I am the old guy (Some young whippersnapper the other day at a match said, ("The elderly gentlman", done runit my day). dressed in black with Neon sleeves and socks, drives a black SUV towing a trailer.
Hey, you take it wrong. :) I am from Floriduh, born in Miama.

If you did, you would remember, I am the old guy (Some young whippersnapper the other day at a match said, ("The elderly gentlman", done runit my day). dressed in black with Neon sleeves and socks, drives a black SUV towing a trailer.
Hey, you take it wrong. :) I am from Floriduh, born in Miama.
I was probably that young whippersnapper…😁😂

• Haha
Reactions: Schütze
Don’t get me wrong I love the Birds. I have lots of friends who come down and fish with me every year I look forward to, It’s just the ones from Europe that have never seen or handled a weapon before scare me at times.

Then the 100 plus year olds who only drive down here from the North East make the roads like a high school driving simulator
Lol

See if "The Villages" would just play their cards right, they could cover all the LR shooters looking for retirement with just one good range, lmao.

Way I hear it, them ol' folk do pretty good "hittin it" without a range.
I was thinking along the same line. I figure that you could then be shooting a lot more, but you better wear a ‘suppressor’ for protection, from what I hear.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike_in_FL
I was thinking along the same line. I figure that you could then be shooting a lot more, but you better wear a ‘suppressor’ for protection, from what I hear.
Yea, I'm thinking that is "Optional" equipment. I heard somewhere that The Villages has like the hightest STD rate in the US. I mean if you can't get the pill container top off, how you gonna get the "Heat Blanket" on the 'Can"?

• Haha
Reactions: DustBun and lash
Oh, and I'm wondering if you remember the mint bowls restaurants used to have at the register?

Prolly got the blue pills in a bowl on the coffee table along with a 70s McDonald's spoon or three lying around.

Yep, you can shoot it as hot as you want and never worry about your barrel drooping. It's just the dripping later, lol.

Just got back from there about an hour ago.
Got to shoot with @Schütze and @Rockdoc173 .

Conditions were pretty good until a little after 11. Then the mirage came in.

A big boar hog came out at the 1500 line and headed off between the mile and 2k berms.
He's damn lucky I didn't have the 7 Mag set up.
I was shooting the 30 BR, so there was zero chance of getting him.
Oh well.

Torsten and I wore out the paint on the IPSC head at 800 with the little 6 BRs.
1k line got soupy around 10:15, so the fun didn't last too long there.

Rockdoc made some good hits on the 1k and 800 from his tripod setup.
I can't shoot near as well from a tripod. He makes it look a lot easier than it is.

All in all, it was a great day followed up with scrumptious BBQ from Smokin Joe's.

LOL I just got back from there also. I was the guy rocking the old school 260 Remington Mirage died down after noon as clouds moved in.

• Love
Just got back from there about an hour ago.
Got to shoot with @Schütze and @Rockdoc173 .

Conditions were pretty good until a little after 11. Then the mirage came in.

A big boar hog came out at the 1500 line and headed off between the mile and 2k berms.
He's damn lucky I didn't have the 7 Mag set up.
I was shooting the 30 BR, so there was zero chance of getting him.
Oh well.

Torsten and I wore out the paint on the IPSC head at 800 with the little 6 BRs.
1k line got soupy around 10:15, so the fun didn't last too long there.

Rockdoc made some good hits on the 1k and 800 from his tripod setup.
I can't shoot near as well from a tripod. He makes it look a lot easier than it is.

All in all, it was a great day followed up with scrumptious BBQ from Smokin Joe's.
Jealous

Reactions: Mike Casselton
Hey!!

Was your buddy able to connect at 1200 with his 223?

You missed some great BBQ at Smokin Joe's.
no we only shoot the 223 at 1000. 1200 was good after you guys left air cleared right up for an hour or so.

also note that SWFL shooting range is raising the long range membership after this weekend to $150 a month. They said on their facebook page that people can still sign up this weekend for $100 a month then for all new people new higher price. Just a heads up

Reactions: Schütze
no we only shoot the 223 at 1000. 1200 was good after you guys left air cleared right up for an hour or so.

also note that SWFL shooting range is raising the long range membership after this weekend to $150 a month. They said on their facebook page that people can still sign up this weekend for $100 a month then for all new people new higher price. Just a heads up
Glad the visibility got better….. l was the guy next to you.

Thanks for the heads-up, this tells me anything about SWFL “management” I need to know!

You ever buy stuff from Rick's butcher shop next door? I am jealous of all you independently wealthy people getting to shoot on work days, lol. I wish they'd at least run Sundays until they close.

If you want a good laugh, go read the comments on their post from a year ago summer when they said they were ending Sundays due to lack of use. Pretty much everybody said they didn't even know it was open, lmao. I guess that's why I had the place to myself those days.

I'm independently retired...

Yeah, I buy stuff from Rick's all the time. Their blueberry brats are freaking awesome.

The Sunday JTAC opening and not telling anyone is how they kept the numbers low. They didn't want to be open. Add in the low number of shooters due to lack of ammo for most of them.
Buncha shit.