• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

itt- noob questions; also .22 vs .17?

jehan60188

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
so, I almost bought my first rifle- a marlin bolt action, with a thumb hole (i want to say the 917vt)

but, as I was filling out the forms out, I found out it didn't use .22 lr, it used .17 hmr; from what i've heard, that's a superior round (flatter trajectory, higher velocity), however, it's more than twice the cost (per round), and that means I'll shoot less (maybe)

but, it probably means I'll shoot /better/ since accuracy shooting isn't about throwing as much lead as possible down the range

BUT it'll have more recoil (10 times as much?), and I'll probably break/bruise my eye socket on the first round

bottom line- what's a better round to start off with? what round should I begin with that will provide the right mix of elements (fun, challenge, value, a gun that "grows" with my ability (that is, something where for a while the limits on range/accuracy are due to my skill, and not the gun's craftsmanship), etc)

i guess with either one, I'd start at the 25 (50?) yd range, but for sure I'd start out with a scope (because i think they're neat), and in the standing position? (working to knealing, laying down, then bench)
although, i guess the first thing i would do is sight in the scope? there's no break in period with rimfire rifles, right?
can I achieve 1 minute of angle accuracy with <$450 invested in a rifle + scope + mounting equipment?

Re: itt- noob questions; also .22 vs .17?

In my (UN)humble opinion....you would be WAY better off with a 22 as your first rifle. You will become a better shot much faster by actually shooting the 22 than by NOT shooting the .17 because of cost of the ammo.

Recoil on both is VERY light, almost non existent.

Keith

im not to sure if this thread is real or this OP is trying to stir some shit up, but to the OP go to walmart and get a Red Ryder BB Gun and shoot the piss out of it. The recoil might be a little much at first but you will get used to it. The red ryder is a .5 MOA gun out of the box. No in all seriousness id go with the 17 just because the round is a little superior to the 22.

Potatoes, potahtoes...

I like the .22LR. Over a century of constant growing popularity can't be wrong.

.17 rimfire recoil is not noticably different from .22LR. New shooters often flinch with rimfires, but it's the noise, not the recoil, that triggers it. That's why I personally believe it's crucial to start new shooters off with a rimfire and good hearing protection, so a flinch doesn't become one of the basic problems confounding shooting basics formation.

I just can't quite abide the expense of combining jacketed bullet technology with the tried and true rimfire concept. Wanna shoot jacketed? Use a centerfire, I say. These .17 cals seem to be an attempt to turn the .22LR into something it never really needed to be.

Just my $.02...

Greg

Well you are downstream on the first question since you already have the 17. Practice as much as possible with sight alignment,trigger squeeze,cheek weld,breath control, and all the other basis. Some of us paid quite a lot for our training. Better to shoot a few rounds with focus on your technique than to slam rounds down range. Get really good at 25yds before you move to 50-100. A good under $300 scope is Nikon 6X18 Buckmaster mil dot with side focus mounted in a good set of rings. Have fun! That said I love the 22 rimfire. Regards

Don't think about the recoil!! A rimfire of any type isn't going to cause the scope to bite you. I don't think it would hurt you even if you put it to your eye and pulled the tirgger (not saying I would try it) just stating it has no real recoil.
Get you a couple of different 50 round boxes of ammo and shoot them the best you can. Take a notebook with you and take notes this is very important to get where you want to be. In the notes keep up with which ammo worked the best out of the different ones you choose. Then buy another box of that and someothers you havn't tried. Keep taking notes until you find the best ammo for your rifle or a type that gives you the results your willing to live with for the cost of ammo. (I shoot Rem. Sub-Sonics in my Savage MKII they shoot very well and don't cost near what the match stuff does.) I started shooting at a young age with bb/pellet air rifles at 30 yards I could hit most anything I could see. A lot can be learned with a pump-up air rifle as for as marksmanship skills. I have now moved on to larger caliber rifles and shoot out to 1000 yards but I still get the .22lr out and pratice my fundmentals. When I shoot the 22lr a good bit between matches I can see a difference in the scores than when I don't it time to practice.

THE MAIN THING IS TO GET OUT AND SHOOT AND HAVE FUN, BUT ALWAYS BUT SAFTY FIRST.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jehan60188</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and in the standing position? (working to knealing, laying down, then bench)
although, i guess the first thing i would do is sight in the scope? there's no break in period with rimfire rifles, right?
</div></div>

I personally would start shooting off the bench first. This will be the most important to find the most accurate ammo for your gun, and sighting it in. Once you get it locked in practice all your other positions.
And as far as accuracy I would say the 17 is not necassarily superior. It is more important to find the best ammo for you gun. CCI subsonic has a longer OAL than other ammo and shoots very well in my magnum research magnum lite.

Second the superior "hearing protection" for a new shooter. Bullets are often stopping before the brain registers that the sound was loud so it is best to remove the sound obstacle right at the beginning.

just a quick update- I got a 10/22, and a basic nikon scope (3-9 x 40)
do i need to clean the rifle before zeroing in the scope?
do i need to break in the barrel, or anything?

thanks!