• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I've Been Bit and I need HELP!

FlyinRyan

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2010
Hey guys,
I'm a new poster however,I have been a long time lurker and I have been bit with the long range game. In about 3 weeks I will be recieving my custom 300wm (save the .338 talk I wanted the 300
smile.gif
) I have almost 5 into this rifle and I would feal like a smuck to not give it the glass it deserves. With the budget I've got about 2k left over for glass but im not dead set on which to choose. The rifles duty will mostly be banging steal out to 1k and everything inbetween, with the occasional elk hunt. Its mainstay will be on the range or in the desert throwing lead downrange (hopefully on target). I want a piece of glass with a minimum 25x I am just not sure if I should go "S&B NF or USO" So i am just looking for a few friendly suggestions before I complete this system. Thanks in advance.-Ryan

Re: I've Been Bit and I need HELP!

You need to first sort out SFP or FFP. In the power range NF is only SFP.

After that you need to get behind the glass and see what works for you.

If you could settle with only 24x I'd say zeiss/hensoldt 6-24x56, a great scope and very good glass!

First you have to decide SFP vs FFP. But why is the 25x the absolute minimum. People use 10x for 1000yards. Now I prefer more mag than that. I own three NF 5.5-22x scopes all SFP and they are hard to beat for all around quality and price. You can pick up a new or used for well below your $2k limit.

Leupold Mark 4 ERT with M5 turrents, TMR reticle. Its FFP, got nice glass, good customer service, and I got mine for $1300. I wouldnt consider anything else right now. Even if I had more to spend, I wouldnt.

Hi Ryan: If I were in your shoes and given the slight budget constraint of 2k, I'd seriously consider USO SN-3 3-17 w/ EREK/ERGO Mil/Mil. That is an excellent piece of glass and possible to purchase in your approximate price range if you keep your eyes open on this board for a used one. You don't need 25 power by the way for what you've stated your purpose is.
laugh.gif
I have that on a GAP gun and have no thoughts of changing anything.

If you save and delay a little (I bet you can't) you could go the S&B 5-25 PM2 P4f route. I have that on an AW and again, have no thoughts of changing anything. It is superb.

Which is better? My opinion is you are splitting some pretty fine hairs there. I will tell you that I like the USO EREK turret better than the S&B mtc but the S&B glass is ahead by just a nose. But thats to my eye and not yours. Go out with some buds and put them side by side and shoot them. That wasn't a real option for me so I just gotta get one of everything. Sucks, huh?
smile.gif

Good luck.
cool.gif

Kimo, the only real option for me is to say You Suck!

For a lot of reasons
laugh.gif

I visualize Kimo in his tweed smoking jacket, sipping cognac, briar pipe in mouth, typing out wisdom from his man lair
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out with some buds and put them side by side and <span style="text-decoration: underline">shoot them</span>.</div></div>

Kimo, is it too late to cancel our plans for a shooting day? I think I may have had something else in mind when we discussed it
shocked.gif

Ryan, by the way, you better fill out your profile before you get "bit" by some of the profile Nazi's here. Welcome to the Hide
smile.gif

If weight is not an issue (for off hand shooting) then I'd suggest either a USO or a Premier. For the distance of 1,000 on steel you don't need high mag, the 3-15x50 Premier or 17x of USO is more than enough. You can get either of them for a mid-2k price in the second hand market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go out with some buds and put them side by side and <span style="text-decoration: underline">shoot them</span>.</div></div>

Kimo, is it too late to cancel our plans for a shooting day? I think I may have had something else in mind when we discussed it
shocked.gif
</div></div>

Oops, sorry, I think that came out wrong....
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With that budget and info, save a little more and get the S&B 5-25 P4F mil/mil.</div></div>

wow this coming from the hensoldt pimp, good advice though.

Dave, a shooting day? I'm hurt you didn't ask. Kimo, you don't suck. I'm just jealous.

Okay, you sort of suck.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm just jealous.
</div></div>

It's OK man, I know.....its alright....I know....
grin.gif

Oh, and just not to completely derail this for the OP, if you go with USO or S&B or NF, it will be just about impossible to have made a mistake. Easy Peasy.

You mentioned elk. Sure, there are people who get them out at crazy long ranges, but what about the ones close in? A scope with massive magnification on the high end will be pretty high on the low end too. Twice I've shot running elk while on 2.5X in heavy timber (NF 2.5-10X32). As others have mentioned, a good 3-15X like the Premier will do fine out to a 1000 yards.

My first word is WOW. I cant belive all of the great info you gents have passed my way. Thank you very very much. VERY MUCH!.
At first I was set on a moa, however I think I am talking my self into going mils, either way the reticle has to match the turrets (thats the one thing I have decided on lol) I just feal like I am loosing my mind (must be from the bug bite) I just cant decide on ffp or sfp. I know I know it is an important choice that has to be made ( I swear my hair is getting chromer by the minute,soon its going to just fall out)
frown.gif
. 2k was kind of a soft limit but if I pass it by too much, well dam the glass better come with a room for rent because I'll need it.
Well it sounds like a 10x is plenty for out to 1000, personally i would just like to have a bit more. To make it a little easier on the eyes. Man I tell you I never would have thought chosing a scope would be this difficult, moa/mill sfp/ffp side focus/rear focus 10x/22x/25x/40x/1millionx and then there is reticle omg (shoot me now) at this rate of stress I may not make it to see my rifle finished. I kid I kidd......kinda

Seriously Ryan the best info here was "get out and shoot all the scopes".

After that, get the one you like that is FFP, and mil/mil. If you don't like it, that combo in any of the mentioned brands will sell pretty quick in the for sale stuff if you need to change. NF, USO or S&B are all quick sellers in the classified. My personal preference is not Leopold, as the eye relief is not as generous as the others.

Don't skimp on the mounts either. I do a little gun tweaking here and there and see way too many good rifles with cheap mounts. The results are predictable.

If you are shooting a bunch on the ground in hot weather or lots of sun you aren't going to make much use of 25x anyway - too much mirage. 15 or 17x will do you fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave, a shooting day? I'm hurt you didn't ask. Kimo, you don't suck. I'm just jealous.

Okay, you sort of suck.
wink.gif

41 </div></div>

I say we still pursue some range time with Kimo, however, it will be your responsibility to bring lots of your department's body armor "just in case"
laugh.gif

p.s. Kimo only shoots 3 round groups, so we won't be able to post anything here on the Hide

With two of us we can force him to shoot 5. At gun point if need be!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With two of us we can force him to shoot 5. At gun point if need be!

41</div></div>

You guys, you know I can read this stuff, right......?

OP Ryan: THIS! >>>>> Unfortunately SPF