• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes I've got $650.00.....Help

sybo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2010
Nashville Tn
Good day everyone, first post here and could use some advice...Got $650.00, a Rem 7005R in .308, and I will be using this MAINLY for Bench/long distance and very rarely pig hunting. Scope recomendations if you could would be greatly appreciated. I also have heard some good things about a Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42, whatta you guys think? Thanks in advance, Sybo

Re: I've got $650.00.....Help

I think you should do a Falcon optics. They're about $500 and they're FFP. The Leupold VXIII's are pretty nice glass as well.

The Super Sniper is the only option I would consider. If you can find an extra fifty bucks, SWFA has some Nikon 4-16x Monarch X's on the sample list for 699.00.

The Bushnell 4200 series is a great option in that price range. If you can get over the lack of elevation in the 6-24X50 model it offers a lot of scope for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should do a Falcon optics. They're about $500 and they're FFP. The Leupold VXIII's are pretty nice glass as well. </div></div>

I would agree. However, if it's only a bench rifle and you don't plan on doing unknown distance, you don't necessarily need
FFP.

I'm happy with my Falcon and there are several in the optics for sale section here.

A buddy has the Bushnell and he's been very happy with it. Can't go wrong there.

Yeah, well, I had a similar problem once. A Leupie in the hand and four or five guns that needed scopes.

So I cringed, sold the Leupie, bought four Tasco VAR624X42M's, and ended with change from $400.

Fully aware that I was walking the tightrope over the Gator Pond; I settled in and waited for the problems to arrive.

Five years later, still waiting for the first one...

Maybe not the brightest image at max mags in low light situations; otherwise, I really like 'em...

I call 'em my <span style="font-style: italic">'Tasco Rascals'</span>...

Greg

Sybo,
Welcome to the hide. There have been some great suggestions but also keep in mind a good 20 moa base and rings are going to take a chunk out of your budget. I would bet you might upgrade the scope in the future so paying once for a quality mounting system would be something you should consider. I have the same rifle. You'll really enjoy it.

RT

+1 for the Bushnell. I use the Elite 4200 Tactical out to 1000yd. It's a great scope for the price. You get more elevation with this model because it features a 30mm tube. You can find them used pretty often for under $500. Then get a steel TPS 20MOA base and steel TPS rings and your good to go. Right around $650. Falcon is also a good alternative. There's a 5-25x56 Mil/Mil for sale right now in the for sale section.

Just cause thats what you got doesn't mean it has to be spent. If there is another scope you would rather have. Save your coins and get that one. Buy once cry once.

As suggested, SWFA or Bushnell are going to be your best choices in that price range. Go SFP and look for the better glass between your choices.

My vote goes to Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 or a used Nikon tactical 4-16 on that budget. They are both a bargain for the amount of scope you get.

you can also look at the Vortex Viper 6 x 24 x 50mm too. I have on eon a 223 bolt rifle and it is very clear and works well. For the price you can't beat it.

Zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 or a nice used zeiss conquest 6.5-20x50. Awesome glass and they track great.

There is a wide range of scopes that you could choose in that price range. The less fluff you have in a scope, the less that can possibly go wrong with it. Pick one that the glass is clear and works for you, and buy it.

Bottom line is this, you will find a ton of information here and various other forums to get you going. I recommend doing alot of reading. You will probably change your mind about 10 times before you settle on something. And once you have decided... go for it!!

DK

I've been using the Super Sniper 10x HD on a Remington 700 SPS Tactical 223 lately.

It's good for 4" (& 6" & 8") steel squares out to 300yds.

If the target were any smaller or further, I think I would want more magnification.

I've also been using 6" paper plates with a 1.5"-2" black Shoot-n-See in the center as a target (@300yds).

I'm really, really tempted to try the Bushnell 3-12x FFP, but I have no idea how it would compare to this 10x HD.

I have the bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 and the bushnell 3-12x44 FFP. I like the FFP better but for known yardage shooting either would work well. Just don't go cheap on rings and bases.

Since you didn't fill out your profile, it makes it a little more difficult to answer your question.
Here in Texas, it is legal to hunt pigs at night.

A scope like the Falcon (a very good scpoe in it's own right) will be useless for that.

If you are primarily shooting from the bench and occasional hunting, a SFP scope will serve you just fine. Dollar for dollar, if the feature sets are otherwise the same (side focus, illuminated mil-dot) a SFP scope will cost less, basically allowing you to get better glass for the same price.

If you are going to be hunting, I personally believe your low end should be no higher than 3 or 4 power, 2.5 even better.
A good 3-12 or 4-16 will serve you well here, you don't need tactical turrets for what you plan on doing, but they don't hurt either. You don't even need matching turrets/reticle, but I still recommend them.