• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JAE-100 Gen I vs Gen II for the M1A

jonbutcheraxis

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2006
CA
Guys,
I may have an opportunity to buy a JAE-100 Gen I rifle stock at a fairly decent price, can someone please detail the differences between the Gen I and Gen II JAE-100 stocks ?

Re: JAE-100 Gen I vs Gen II for the M1A

Update;
Just heard from Lisa at JAE, she was kind to forward the upgrade list which differentiates the Gen I from Gen II stocks, if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll copy and paste it here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Electric Factory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Update;
Just heard from Lisa at JAE, she was kind to forward the upgrade list which differentiates the Gen I from Gen II stocks, if anyone else is interested let me know and I'll copy and paste it here.

</div></div>

Please do!
smile.gif

Would be interested to see the differences as well.

Straight from Lisa,

" Gen 2 replaced Gen 1 so the only way you’ll get a Gen 1 is second hand. Here are some of the differences with Gen 2:

-Trimmer / more narrow backend (less bulky)
-Lower cheek comb (without cheek rest about same as GI)
-Shorter LOP (with just Butt Adaptor installed, LOP is shorter than GI and with Optional Butt Pad also installed, LOP is the same as GI which is 13.25)
-Optional Anodized Aluminum Butt Spacers can be purchased for longer LOP
-Butt Adaptor is now Anodized Aluminum (standard feature)
-Augmentable/Removable Rubber Grip (standard feature)
-Version with Selector Cut Out for full auto m14 now available
-Aluminum Lug Slides are included as a Standard Feature, but Titanium Lug Slides can still be added as an Optional Upgrade
-Stock ships standard with Flush Plugs in 8 positions, and Optional Flush Cups can be installed on either side. Push Button Swivels need to be used with these cups. Uncle Mike's sells some and also GrovTec which here is the link: http://www.grovtec.com/products.php?cat=swivels&product=gt_locking_push-button We are selling the Grovtec Heavy Duty Push Button Swivels for $35.00 a pair.
-New front end architecture built into aluminum skeleton to accept new Optional Barrel Tensioner
-The Optional Barrel Tensioner allows shooter to adjust pressure on barrel / barrel band while shooting without dissassembly of rifle
Lower starting price and Options can be purchased with stock or at a later time (except for Thumbwheel Cheek Rest which has to be ordered with stock)
-The Optional Off Hand Rest is now aluminum and has an integral picatinny rail for attaching a monopod (the monopod on the front of our website is an Accu-Shot PRM BT-12QK and can be ordered directly through the manufacturer or their dealers www.accu-shot.com )
-More aluminum showing around bottom of stock
-Inside of forend is all aluminum (no composite) no need for thermal deflector
New Option for Thumbwheel Cheek Rest (must be ordered with stock since it has a different aluminum skeleton)
-New Option for Side Rails which are recommended, but not required, to be ordered with stock. The composite in the grooves on the sides of the stock are machined down to fit the rail adaptors and the 4" or 9" picatinny rails are installed onto the adaptors. There are several mounting points for the picatinny's. If ordered later, customer pays for shipping cost both ways and there would be extra lead time
-Two size Options for the bottom picatinny rail (6" and 9")
-Same 7 colors are still available, Swat Black, Titanium Grey, Lowlite Green, Olive Drab, Dark Earth, Coyote Brown, & Grit Tan "

What I want to know- is the barrel tensioner one of the 'must have' add ons ?
If anyone here has a JAE-100 Gen 2 w/ optional barrel tensioner please weigh in.

IF-
The rifle is built with front/rear lugs a tensioner won't be required whether in a glassed stock or JAE stock.

For the extra 100+ bucks,order the tensioner & do some testing.

The gas piston should be the only variable.

I own a Gen 2, and have handled a Gen 1.
The only "real" difference is the front barrel tensioner and the ability to get a good cheek weld shooting iron sights on the Gen2 (I dunno anyone that shoot irons with a Gen2).

Barrel tensioner is one of the unique options and only a $100 more, if you're blowing that kinda money, what's another $100.

Whats you opinion on the barrel tensioner and an increase in accuracy?

I own the gen 2 with barrel tensioner, I waited the extra months just so I could get the gen 2 with tensioner. I totally think it is something worth having. My M1A got sent out to be totally super matched, krieger barrel ect. ect. My smith said that he set up the tension like he would a super match. I shot the rifle using the old load I had for the gun and it was shooting in the .5-.65 neighborhood so I havent touched the tensioner yet maybe when I mess with the load I will but at this point its shooting very respectably as far as Im concerned.
m1asupermatched.jpg

I honestly can't comment on the tensioner in relation to improved accuracy.
Too many variables at play to definitively say the tensioner is single handedly making my rifle more accurate (new mount, new scope, new bullets, new powder, new load).
All I know is with the JAE stock I do see improvement over my old wood stock in terms of grouping (with the same mount/scope and hand loads).
Since the JAE G2 is the only stock (that I know of) to have a tensioner, the added feature is nice to have "in case" you need the feature.
As oppose to needing the feature and it's not available.