• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jae 700 issue

Oath Keeper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Florida
I'm having an issue with feeding the rounds into my rifle. The AI 5 round mag will feed the first 3 rounds smoothly, but the bolt slides over the last two rounds. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this issue. I've got a Remington 700 Sendero SF II chambered in 300 win mag on a JAE 700 stock with AI 5 round mags.

Sounds to me like maybe the spacing between the bottom metal and the action may not be right and the mag is sitting a tad lower then it should and the bolt is bearly catching the rounds. The last couple rounds may not have enough upward force or spring tension to keep them up and the bolt slides over them. Just a thought, might snap a couple pics and post them up, it would help maybe.

Casey

I thought I did. It took me a lil while to get it to line up right and get the snug fit. I may end up taking it to a shop to get it fitted in right and see if its my error. But, all in all I thought I had put it together correctly. I was going to email them also and see if they had ran into this problem before. I'd hate to have to send it back, especially since I already had to wait so long to get it in. But, I do have to say the wait was worth it, it's amazingly built and is a work of art in itself. I'll keep posting to inform what the issue is as soon as I find out, even if its my own operator error.

I don't have experience with the long action, but like stated by Sonic Crack, everything is adjustable on the stocks (at least the short action is). I will say, the fit is so tight, you do have to get everything set correctly. Once it's set up though...the stocks are slicker than owl snot...

I thought I did. It took me a lil while to get it to line up right and get the snug fit. I may end up taking it to a shop to get it fitted in right and see if its my error. But, all in all I thought I had put it together correctly. I was going to email them also and see if they had ran into this problem before. I'd hate to have to send it back, especially since I already had to wait so long to get it in. But, I do have to say the wait was worth it, it's amazingly built and is a work of art in itself. I'll keep posting to inform what the issue is as soon as I find out, even if its my own operator error.

I own one and had the same problem. When I first set it up everything worked fine then a few months later it started sliding over the last round in the mag. I adjusted it and tested. It works fine now.

Actually it's pretty funny your username is the name I had engraved on my rifle.
Guess you had to be there.

Last edited:
I own one and had the same problem. When I first set it up everything worked fine then a few months later it started sliding over the last round in the mag. I adjusted it and tested. It works fine now.

Actually it's pretty funny your username is the name I had engraved on my rifle.
Guess you had to be there.

That's actually funny you said that, I was thinking of doing the same thing with the three percent flag on the opposite side.

The JAE's mag well is totally adjustable, do you have everything adjusted?

Okay, I'm ashamed but very happy to report that it was operator error. I misunderstood what it said about adjusting the magwell. In the long actions you have to remove the trigger guard and take out the piece underneath it to see the spacer for the magwell. I was adjusting the wrong screw, because I didn't the piece all the way out.
For future reference for everyone, you have to not only remove the trigger guard, but also the piece underneath for the magazine. Once you remove that piece you will see the piece that needs to be adjusted. Adjust it accordingly to your needs after that.
Sorry for wasting everyones time, but if anyone else has this issue you'll know what to do.

Okay, I'm ashamed but very happy to report that it was operator error. I misunderstood what it said about adjusting the magwell. In the long actions you have to remove the trigger guard and take out the piece underneath it to see the spacer for the magwell. I was adjusting the wrong screw, because I didn't the piece all the way out.
For future reference for everyone, you have to not only remove the trigger guard, but also the piece underneath for the magazine. Once you remove that piece you will see the piece that needs to be adjusted. Adjust it accordingly to your needs after that.
Sorry for wasting everyones time, but if anyone else has this issue you'll know what to do.

No worries and thanks for the info.

Yeah me too, I was worried that I'd have to send her back. Still waiting to get her painted and at a muzzle brake, then I'll put up some pics.