• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

James River Armory 03A4?

Re: James River Armory 03A4?

I got a chance to get the Rock Ridge Machine Works, Inc 1903A4, ordered from Creedmoor Sports, out to the range this weekend. It arrived well packaged and I went into inspection mode. I rechecked and retorqued everything prior to shooting. Package included the bolt in a seperate package, a reproduction sling, and a period correct manual for the scope. This rifle has the4 groove, 1:10 twist criterion barrel. I was impressed with the fit and finish with exception of the redfield rings. The adjustment screws appear out of spec just a bit. I didn't have any issues with the 20 rounds fired at the range, with respect to them coming loose, but they seem fragile.
IMG_7376_zpsd6e038e0.jpg

I couldn't find any .30-06 match ammunition available locally so I purchased some inexpensive Monarch 150gr SP for sighters and pulled some 3 year old Winchester super x 150gr bonded ammo out of storage for the final groups.
IMG_7419_zps9f79bcf2.jpg

A few pics of the rifle prior to firing.
IMG_7400_zps17bff0d4.jpg

IMG_7401_zps542f0834.jpg

IMG_7402_zps1eaf99cc.jpg

IMG_7403_zps5b59d4ad.jpg

IMG_7405_zps83f3a761.jpg

To be continued...

Continued...

I'm amazed our snipers accomplished what they did with this 2.5x optic. The fine crosshairs help but it's not much magnification. The new malcolm/hi-lux M72G2, a replica of the original Weaver 330C, is a simple and servicable optic with a nice clear sight picture.
IMG_7404_zpsab3cbdaa.jpg

IMG_7408_zps23fb538a.jpg

The first 6 rounds out of the rifle at 50 meters using the Monarch ammunition. Group right was the first three rounds with the second group coming up after sight corrections.
IMG_7411_zpsddd3846b.jpg

At 100 it was no surprise that the Monarch ammo started to show its pedigree (first group with black X's). I switched to the Winchster ammo and the group tightened up to just out side 1MOA. I've got components inbound to begin reloading for .30-06 and I'm excited to see what she'll do with some decent ammunition.
IMG_7418_zpsbeae129b.jpg

Bravo,

Thanks for the pics, and congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting the rifle, no doubt. I agree with your comments about the optic and what they accomplished back in the day. That's also why I put on a 4x scope from roughly the same time period. LOL! Good luck shooting, and enjoy!
laugh.gif

Interesting- thanks for posting your review-

The thing I like about shooting these 03A4 repros is they are just plain fun! With the less powerful scope, and absence of modern accuracy enhancements, I can just relax and enjoy my day at the range. With my other rifles, I find that I'm concentrating so hard on my marksmanship principals, that it seems more like work. With the 03A4, I can just enjoy the experience.

HRF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The thing I like about shooting these 03A4 repros is they are just plain fun! With the less powerful scope, and absence of modern accuracy enhancements, I can just relax and enjoy my day at the range. With my other rifles, I find that I'm concentrating so hard on my marksmanship principals, that it seems more like work. With the 03A4, I can just enjoy the experience.

HRF </div></div>

No doubt! That was well said, and so true - it's just plain fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saddler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@BravoSector1
Is there a reason for the sling being fitted the way you have it on the rifle? </div></div>

Put it together based on the original 1940s configuration directions received...what's up? Bassackwards?

They're a puzzle to figure out but once you start trying to use it for bracing the rifle in positional shooting you'll find where the keepers come in play to cinch it to your upper support arm.

It looks like just a matter of leaving more length of the front through the loop on the back end of the sling.

When in doubt with mine I revert to youtube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saddler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@BravoSector1
Is there a reason for the sling being fitted the way you have it on the rifle? </div></div>

The front swivel is actually a stacking swivel
stack4.jpg

It's not my photo I just found it and t shows what I am talking about.

Too bad that's not your photo (or mine either!), as this pic shows some NICE rifles!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saddler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@BravoSector1

Put it together based on the original 1940s configuration directions received...what's up? Bassackwards? </div></div>

Yeah - you have the longest section on the wrong way around - see the Turner fitting info linked above, or the illustration & movie clip on my website M1907 sling fitting

Well aware of the MSgt Owen book on the subject - but while his book IS very good, the topic in hand IS <span style="font-weight: bold">WW2 era</span> rifles - so I stick to the WW2 FM's & TM's approved way of doing things...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saddler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@BravoSector1

The front swivel is actually a stacking swivel

It's not my photo I just found it and t shows what I am talking about. </div></div>

The stacking swivel was NOT however what <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I</span></span> was talking about - see my previous reply above - the sling was fitted with the longest section the wrong way around <span style="font-style: italic">(hooks/frogs SHOULD both face toward the muzzle)</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OFIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're a puzzle to figure out but once you start trying to use it for bracing the rifle in positional shooting you'll find where the keepers come in play to cinch it to your upper support arm.

It looks like just a matter of leaving more length of the front through the loop on the back end of the sling.

When in doubt with mine I revert to youtube. </div></div>

YouTube?
You have one of the two best M1907 sling makers in the US in your home town!! John H Weller, a.k.a. <span style="font-style: italic">"Slings by JHW"</span>

The other M1907 sling maker being Les Tam in Hawaii

Too bad they aren't using original NOS Remington barrels. They are out there and will probably outshoot these new barrels.

Interesting. You would stack a 40's made barrel, from THE armory, against a Criterion or Krieger barrel made in 2012??? Intersting book out for a read if you're into stats...America's Armory. I'm impressed with the results they produced with a VERY crude capability.

Sweet looking. Like the sling. Hope you get the scope sorted out. Thanks for sharing the pics.

The only thing I can say is......WOW! Looks like I just found my next sniper rifle to add to my collection. I wonder if they would configure it to mount a Unertal scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocLes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I can say is......WOW! Looks like I just found my next sniper rifle to add to my collection. I wonder if they would configure it to mount a Unertal scope? </div></div>

James River does offer a `03 drilled and tapped with Unertl style blocks mounted- it`s on their website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I am still trying to get my scope sorted but I had it out and took a pic of it the other day so here she is.

IMG_0401.jpg
</div></div>

Nice rifle, but how the **** have you managed to put the sling on like that?

See the YouTube clip on my sling page:
http://www.mooreleather.co.uk/rifle-slings-2/rifle-slings---american

& the scanned page from the WW2 manual:
1907-sling_home_page.jpg

Looks like you have the lower section about right, but facing in towards the rifle instead of away from it.
The upper section just gave me a headache!! Looks like you have the thing on upside down and inside out and possibly a couple more variables off too...
The running keepers are best placed with the thread toward the rifle.

Tell you what, as a special favour - mail the whole thing to me & I'll fix the sling for you & give it a decent barrel break in <span style="font-style: italic">(send a few pallets of Lake City Match ammo) </span>
I'll post pics of the targets when I'm done....

Sound like a deal
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saddler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Nice rifle, but how the **** have you managed to put the sling on like that?
</div></div>

Their is some reason why that sling is on like that I had played around with it and that just seemed to work for me.

I know i'm late to the party here, but I just found this and enjoyed the pics of these vintage clones. I built an a4 clone from scratch a few years ago, and it was a lot of fun.

One thing i'd like to add: vintage redfield rings are common on ebay, both the vertical split (correct for the 1903a4 wwII & Korea era) and the horizonal split (correct for vietnam era and early gen1 m40). Both are milled steel (usually blued) with case hardened screws. You'll know the originals by those mottled color screws. I've had both, and they are far stouter than the off-the-shelf leupold garbage.

Also, to the guy with the weaver k40b... don't feel like you "deviated" from the a4 just because you wanted "more scope". The k4 series weavers were actually used on some 1903a4 rifles (and early m40 protos) in the early stages of the vietnam conflict. There is very little info out there on these, but they do exist and they are mentioned in at least one of the major 1903 books (though I don't remember which). There was a thread on them here some years back as well, one of the hide members had/has one and posted some great info/pics.

bcw1284,

Thanks for the info on the k40b. Glad to know there were rifles that used this scope. I love mine!