• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jeep Rubicon

Nik H

Constantly Learning
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2014
    Small town New England
    After 11 years, I am kind of ready to release my VW GTI to my daughter's care. She just got her learners permit.

I am strongly considering getting a Jeep Rubicon as I have always enjoyed going off roading with my buds who have Jeeps.

Any of you have some Rubicon opinions? I would love to hear the good and bad.

My buddies cannot be trusted for an unbiased opinion...LOL

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    I like the idea of the Rubicon if you go full package not just a baseline model with Rubicon badging on it.

Only thing that sucks is it being a Chrysler/Jeep product the interiors strike me as cheap and after 40,000 miles they all smell like burning oil inside the occupant area.

Can't go wrong with a Rubicon !! Pick it up in June rides real nice.
    20180824_164846.jpg

Reactions: whiskeytower
    I like the idea of the Rubicon if you go full package not just a baseline model with Rubicon badging on it.

Only thing that sucks is it being a Chrysler/Jeep product the interiors strike me as cheap and after 40,000 miles they all smell like burning oil inside the occupant area.
    Yep, I agree.

Get one. Also suggest getting the extended warranty if still offered. I have the lifetime warranty from Chrysler and while I haven't had to use it for the 2014, my 2010 Wrangler sport needed a lot of work.

Don't know this, but heard somewhere that the Rubicon has lower gear ratio and didn't get as good of mileage as others.

I have a Wrangler and when I drive it I don't pay attention to the mileage, so that might be a non-issue.

Reactions: Jaymiller5
    I had a 14 Rubicon. I built the shit out of it(4.5" lift, hydro steering, 37" tires, gears, truss's on both axle housings, axle shafts, etc...). I had about 55k into the total jeep.

I wish I had bought a Sport for 30k and used the 10k cost savings to build that instead because I would have had a more bad ass jeep for roughly the same money. Spending 25k on building a sport would have got me Dana 60 axles and a bunch of other bad ass stuff.

Gave my dad my Rubicon when I bought my Raptor.

They lack power and I always felt short on storage. I wouldn't buy another one. I'd look at a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro or a Ford Raptor.

Reactions: deersniper
    I have looked into the new JL wrangler extensively and really like them. I have not pulled the trigger on one due to the price and my current ride being paid for. They are expensive, too expensive IMO, but so is everything else. If i were to purchase a new JL I would get the Rubicon package and do nothing but go up to 35" tires or lift 2" and run 37". If I wanted to heavily modify a Jeep, I would go with a sport S and save the coin for parts. There is also the just announced Gladiator jeep truck that looks neat.

Reactions: thejeep
    The Rubicon, is not what it is advertised to be, I worked for Dodge/Chrysler/jeep for 14 years before switching to Honda. One of the other comments said by a sport and do your own adds, if your set on a jeep this is the way to go!!! Its cheaper and better in the long run. I love them but I also know what they truly are. When you deal with soccer moms screaming at you day in and day out because their $45K pavement crawler has a leaking roof, or rides rougher than the audi they traded in. If you must buy the Rubicon get the lifetime maxcare warranty, most dealerships charge from $3500-$4000 for it and its well worth it. I bought a 2018 2500 power wagon and my 9 year old can drive it to college and still have a warranty on it!!!

I'd look at a Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro or a Ford Raptor.

And if you really wheel one you will be getting drug around on a rope behind a Jeep all day long...

We had a guy bring a Raptor out once...He thought his shit would destroy all of our Jeeps. After we drug him through 3 obstacles we told him he was on his own or we would take him back to the bottom and he could ride with one of us the rest of the day... He left.

Ive never seen any of the new Yota's wheel as well as a jeep either. The old ones, yea, but the new ones, no. I owned a 17 Taco for a while and while it was a decent little truck, there is no way it would keep up with even a mildly built jeep. And to build a Taco/4 runner costs some serious coin due to the IRS front suspension.

There is a reason Jeep has been king of offroad for like 70 years now.

Im to the point where I will not own another Jeep. Im going for a tube buggy when I buy something else.

Sorry, thread drift...

"FJ" stands for Fucking Junk. I'd rather own a jeep over those giant piles of shit, and I hate most things Chrysler.

The FJ is a Yote, and there's a reason they hold their resale value. Or did you really think that I was on about a fuckin' PT Cruiser?

I had a 2018 Wrangler Saraha. Sticker was over $35000. Mine leaked rain water into the cab from the first day. I was told almost ALL if them do. Eventually Jeep bought it back. I was told several times "its a jeep. It will leak." The service manager even told me it seems to be continuing into the new models. The Uconnect system for phone thru speakers seemed like a caveman made it. (Every time I got a call, the radio had a set saying that woukd not allow the call to be answered until it was complete. No matter how many buttons pushed on the radio or phone.)

Knowing what I know now after the buy back process, I will not even consider a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler product. I love Jeeps but I would strongly suggest rethinking buying one. The water leak is a heavily documented issue all over the web.

Reactions: Bulldog10
    @rjacobs

Just depends on what type of off roading. I've had a Rubicon and for my needs the Raptor is far superior. It's obviously not ideal for rocks and as you alluded anything with IFS will struggle on them.

I've ran Baja multiple times plus the Texas Raptor Runs.

Just depends on what the mission is but it's hard to beat the Raptor overall.

Reactions: Bender
    The FJ is a Yote, and there's a reason they hold their resale value. Or did you really think that I was on about a fuckin' PT Cruiser?

I know who makes the FJ, it's a piece of shit. Heavy, under powered, no visibility from the drivers seat, ugly, overpriced, etc.
    Toyota is not the company they were in the 80's and early 90's. They're surviving on a reputation from the past, and aren't any better than the big three. The fact that they hold their resale value only means people are stupid enough to pay that much for a used vehicle.

I am a Jeep guy, always have been always will be. I have looked hard at the new 4 door JL Rubicon's and they are very nice, but just not worth the $ IMHO. I have a 2001 TJ Sport that is built: G2 Dana 44 high spline hardened shafts, HP 44 with HS hardened shafts, 4.88 gears with ARB lockers F&R, Currie steering system, Tom Woods double cardan shafts F&R, 1" of body with a shitty worn out Rubicon 4.5" short arm (that I am going to replace with a Currie Johnny Joint 4" this winter), sitting on 35's in cheap steel wheels (NO fancy mall hiker crap for me thank you, they just will not hold up in the rocks here in Maine). Right now it has the stock 4.0 L / 5 speed combo and honestly does great, but in a few more years there will be no more spark plugs and a turbo under the hood.

I could build 2 or 3 TJ's for 1 new JL Rubicon and walk all over it in the woods. But if your looking for a daily driver and don't need any serious off road capability then the JL is sweet! Who give a damn if it leaks a little water. But the only time my TJ has water in the floor boards is when I am hosing the mud off the Rhino Lining or driving around with the top off.

Reactions: Bender and thejeep
    Jeeps are good for pulling out FJ's on dry land.

My 2001 Volvo XC70 handles that much snow without trouble. I was following a 2014 FJ Trail Team edition through a muddy field shooting a few years back he was slipping and spinning all over the place. My Audi A4 never slipped a tire. The FJ has a crap 4wd system.

i currently own 5 jeeps, 1 1998 wrangler sahara, 2006 gr cherokee limited, 93 gr cherokee limited, and 2 1998 laredo's. None leak oil, the 93 i let my granddaughter drive to school and work. it's now sitting at 300,000 miles, does not leak or use oil, original 4.0 engine. the 2 1998's are sitting at 240,000 and 268,000 respectively, no leaks or usage of oil. Being driven daily, original 4.0 engines, 2006 has 197,000 miles and is my wife's daily driver, no leaks or oil usage, has the V6. The Sahara i drive , sits at 112,000 miles looks and drives like new. I've also owned 2 other wranglers over the last several years, no problems with any. The 2002 wrangler i sold, did leak a little when it rained, but not all the time, only when the rain would hit it a certain angle. I wouldn't touch a V8 if someone give it to me, but the 4.0 will outlast all engines. The V6 if driven correctly will provide no problems either. As my granddaughters all come of age, all will get older jeeps provided to them to drive from me. We have 3 miles of gravel, then 11 miles of blacktop to school. I get them the all wheel drives and don't have to worry about them. Nothing beats a jeep.

Reactions: Bender
    Jeeps are battle tested there suppose to leak water , real combatants don't melt when wet.
    wareagle-patton-710717.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
    The Rubicon is the least Jeep I would get. It will be great for daily driving and some off roading. It has better parts than it's counterparts, but you'll pay for them. I don't know about their interiors or leakage problems, but most Jeep owners seem happy with their purchase. It will probably serve you well as it does 95 percent of the folks who buy them.

Now a thread derail. For the people who think IFS is no good off road, the IFS Ultra4 cars are something to watch.

Reactions: thejeep
    My 2001 Volvo XC70 handles that much snow without trouble. I was following a 2014 FJ Trail Team edition through a muddy field shooting a few years back he was slipping and spinning all over the place. My Audi A4 never slipped a tire. The FJ has a crap 4wd system.

It could have been his rubber. The stock offering is a Dunlop AT20 265/70 R17 Highway/All Season. Put some AT knobbies on there.

Reactions: jbell
    Just drove an ‘18 Rubicon Unlimited three days ago. No off-roading but nice highway manners. Bit different than my ‘42.
    I have previously owned a ‘79 and a ‘10 unlimited. Regarding the ‘10 I felt it was underpowered but the Pentastar 6 seems well suited for the Jeep. It had a trailering package and not sure of the dif. Ratio.

Had a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (not Rubicon). Put 36,000 miles on it before my son outgrew the back seat, which is the main reason we traded. Only had one issue (GPS maps quit loading) and it was replaced under warranty. I personally believe that some of the reliability issues people face with Jeeps has to do with the modifications people do to them. Big wheels and tires put stress on everything, as do the heavy bumpers, winches, etc. If you leave one stock (like I did), I think they are pretty reliable. What really hurts Jeep is that, in my experience, the dealership network is terrible. Most Dodge, Chrysler, Ram, Jeep dealerships are terrible. I don’t know if it is a corporate training thing or what. The 4 or 5 I have ever had any experience with left much to be desired from the service standpoint.

The Jeep I had is the only vehicle I’ve ever owned that put a smile on my face to drive. Piece of cake to park/maneuver in right places. Easy to see the front corners of the vehicle. Amazing heater during cold weather.....you could just about smoke meat in the cabin.

I had a hard top. Top never, ever leaked and my wife even took it through a car wash a few times. I think some of the issues with tops is people not taking their time putting them back on once they removed them. I was also a freak about putting rubber gasket grease on the seals every other time I took the top off....kept the gaskets “puffy” and they sealed well.

I’d gladly own one again. Amazing resale value. The newest models have some really cool features. I wouldn’t have one as my primary vehicle as I found it to be a bit uncomfortable if driving longer than a couple of hours.

That video is a SHIT example of trying to show an FJ's prowess in snow... The mother fucker had CHAINS on the tires... I should HOPE it could make it through snow with CHAINS... A honda civic could probably do what he was doing with a set of chains...

? That comment wins the internet today.

What's funny is that the stock, unmodified FJ is a fine 4WD undeserving of all the pro-Jeep opinionated hatred. Toyota discontinued it here because it was cutting into Land Cruiser sales. But, haters are gonna hate.

Didn't know you were such a rice burner aficionado VeerG.

Only really in this particular exception, but I'm fairly ecumenical. Currently, we have a Chevy, a Toyota, and a Volvo. I've never been big on Ford products, generally, but multinational outfits acquiring each other has made for previously unthinkable partnerships. One of the better performance upgrades available for the Volvo is pretty much a straight pull from a Ford model, resulting from the years in which they shared platforms.

Not hating on them I just always assumes he was a Volvo guy.

View attachment 6990573

Volvo has always been too insistent on keeping a low variety of power plants in their line. What's sluggish in one model is quite peppy in another, and in some cases supports fairly massive upgrading into a nasty little set of wheels. I do admire their outlook on what should and shouldn't constitute luxury in automobiles, embracing the concept of lagom.

Last edited: