• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jeep Rubicon

NikH,
Check your frame welds, especially control arm brackets and such...

Make sure you get the unlimited, the two doors a pretty squirrelly.

My Subaru outback has been a great vehicle. I wasnt aware of it trying to alter my ideology or sexual orientation. 30mpg and carries all my steel targets just the same as my pickup. (y)

I would build something to wheel in, and buy something drive in. I say this because I did. My idea of 4 wheeling is rougher than some. I would grab a picture of my blazer but I am in Las Vegas right now. It would roll over my subaru.....or my pickup.

Reactions: Bender
I knew the JL’s were a few months away when I bought my JK. The turn off other than the price increase were the modern electronics in it. I was ok with “less is more” in the JK.

Any current modern Wrangler owners ever think what you could have purchased instead? I paid about $45k for my JKUR which came fully loaded. I was man.. that’s a lot of other vehicles I could have picked. I couldn’t see myself paying a few grand more for a JL. Getting close to $50k is crazy.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
I found an 08 JKUR with 62k miles, 35’s, that looked like it rolled off the showroom floor for $20k 2 years ago. Have a matching set with my YJ...

Reactions: 021411
Good thing about doing my axle swap will be that I only have to hit one corner for a wheel speed sensor. Engine swap is much easier too?

Damn you guys - got me looking a Jeeps!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Jeep-...4b7f0ff:g:rEoAAOSwMg5b5NIK:rk:24:pf:0&vxp=mtr

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bender
I once looked at a Jeep at a dealership. I had a hard time believing that someone would pay 18-20 grand for a Jeep. That was new. Last time I looked at them. I can't imagine anyone paying the prices today. I have a hard time paying the equivalent of my first house purchase for a vehicle.

Rubicons are legit. Locking front AND rear lockers. 4:1 transfer case. Auto disconnect sway bar. Dana 44 front and rear axles. Not bad for a factory offered, fully warrantied, off the lot ready 4x4.

I'd personally go w/ the 4Runner Off Road. My wife has one and we like it a lot.

I've dabbled in the off roading thing.

View attachment 6990612

View attachment 6990614

View attachment 6990615

View attachment 6990619
That thing needed softer springs. You've got no compression on the right to allow for droop on the left. That's the reason it looks like a turtle on its back in the one pic lol.

BTW Nik, nice ride. Go enjoy it and beat on it like you stole it.

Reactions: Nik H
I'v seen photos of guys who fold down the seats and shoot out the back , was wondering if the windows hold up for large calibers.
Know a guy with a DJ postal Jeep. His plan was to build a permanent shooting bench facing out the back door.

I've had multiple Land Cruisers:
- 3 40s
- 1 45
- 2 55s
- 1 60
- 1 62
- 1 80
so was very interested when the new FJ was introduced. Then pics started coming out and wasn't impressed. First chance, I took a test drive and totally lost interest given poor visibility and just general feel. I think they missed the boat by not making it more traditionally utilitarian but maybe that wouldn't have sold well enough in the US market to make it profitable.

That thing needed softer springs. You've got no compression on the right to allow for droop on the left. That's the reason it looks like a turtle on its back in the one pic lol.

BTW Nik, nice ride. Go enjoy it and beat on it like you stole it.

Yep. No flex. ?

2186_1090169767770_3761_n.jpg

Reactions: Maxduty
What kind of off roading do you want to do? We had a JK, loved it. It was a blast on the Rubicon.

But now I'm rolling a Raptor.. love it even more! Especially fast and jumping

Reactions: texag0842
Personally i think the tacoma is a better commuter with the best of all worlds, the trd off road having some pretty cool features like MTS and crawl control with factory rear lockers while still getting decent mpg for a truck.

However for serious off roading....like I dont know if this road is possible offroading type stuff...a rubicon with some work done on it might be the best piece of kit for the job.

Reactions: texag0842
3 months ago, I traded in a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock two door with 37K miles. I special ordered it with the Hard Rock package, hard top, auto transmission and 4.10s. I test drove multiple 6 speeds, and I wasn't impressed. Only things I done to it were: tint front windows to match back, stubby antenna, remove rear seat, added rear floor liner, 1" spacers up front, and added the hitch myself to save like $400.

Only thing that ever happened was the rear driver axle seal started to leak, and it was replaced under warranty.

It consistently stayed in the 17-18 mpg range. I live in WV but drive considerable interstate. The 4.10s made it geared a touch low for the stock tires. 70 mph was 2600 rpm in 5th gear. 80 mph was 3000 rpm in 5th gear. Still got the 17-18 mpg.

Damn thing had more traction off road than it needed. Put those stock BFG KM tires on packed snow, and your ass will hold onto the seat. I did 5 tire rotations every 3K miles, and I think I could've got 60-65K miles out of the original tires.

It is the perfect vehicle to buy and leave relatively stock for the mild level trails. You will want to buy a Sport and build it yourself to hit the hardest trails.

I traded because it was always me and another person only. I never put the backseat in. Storage was still very minimal. Cooler and fishing gear would fill the back...better have two piece poles too. Towing capacity was only 2K pounds (3,500 lbs for four door). I just flat out needed a truck.

Buy the Rubicon but understand it is not your typical vehicle. It will wonder in a lane, top leaks from time to time, ride is somewhat harsh. You get a removable top and doors as a reward. Few things compare to rolling down a road (or trail) blasting some tunes with the top and doors off in the summer. As long as your daughter isn't a pansy, she'll love it.

The Stewart and Stevenson M1078 falls into the wannabe category. No portal axles. They are cheaper than a mog though.
That is bad and good, parts for Mogs are getting harder and harder to find and prices have adjusted accordingly. Parts for LMTV’s are everywhere and I can read the service manuals.

Reactions: thejeep
Now to post something useful. Last rig I had was a 67 M715. Put a Cummins 12v (compounded turbos), NV4500, 203/205 double, 60F/14B both locked. OBA, OBW. Built not bought....... just posting for pedigree.

Now this past July went to Moab to meet up with friends as my family and I had moved. A friend of ours lent us her '13 Rubi on 35s to play with. Out of the box, it works real well. Takes alot of the guesswork and seat time usually needed as they are point and drive. It had 80K miles and was an auto. The auto never downshifted when we were running ledges, almost like it sensed i didnt want to shift but needed the gear in a higher RPM for the bits of loose sand, rocks etc. First auto I liked......ever. Once the lockers were engaged it will crawl until you get where you are going, break, or roll. Not having to manually disconnect the sway bars are nicer the older I get.

If you cannot do the fab yourself, I have not driven anything that just works that well from the factory. I like the Rubis....... just not the flat billers that tend to drive them...... but thats any discipline/hobby.

Mine is a 16 Willys Wheeler and I love it although not a Rubi, it gets the job done. My advice would be to get a base model softop and do all the upgrades and work you want how you want it done rather than pay the rubicon premium. Overall though doubt you’ll be dissastified with a Rubi
34D8F9E6-163E-4557-9BA4-D90F498D1157.jpeg

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Mine is a 16 Willys Wheeler and I love it although not a Rubi, it gets the job done. My advice would be to get a base model softop and do all the upgrades and work you want how you want it done rather than pay the rubicon premium. Overall though doubt you’ll be dissastified with a Rubi View attachment 6993803

Hi,

The IRONY of that picture in a mall parking lot cannot be left unspoken lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

The IRONY of that picture in a mall parking lot cannot be left unspoken lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
Oh the irony, I never even once considered that when I posted that picture lmfao, I’m so embarrassed even though I’m not a flatbill wearing mall crawling sack of shit. Why oh why did I stop there for the picture ????????

Oh the irony, I never even once considered that when I posted that picture lmfao, I’m so embarrassed even though I’m not a flatbill wearing mall crawling sack of shit. Why oh why did I stop there for the picture ????????

Hi,

Try again lolol....I pulled the surveillance video of you trying on hats in the store...
1546139855666.png

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: DaleGribble82
Mine is a 16 Willys Wheeler and I love it although not a Rubi, it gets the job done. My advice would be to get a base model softop and do all the upgrades and work you want how you want it done rather than pay the rubicon premium. Overall though doubt you’ll be dissastified with a Rubi View attachment 6993803

Angry eyes grille...light bar on the hood...exocage...overkill front bumper...no winch...and you say it's not a mall crawler? You better have spent some money on a set of lockers.

Angry eyes grille...light bar on the hood...exocage...overkill front bumper...no winch...and you say it's not a mall crawler? You better have spent some money on a set of lockers.

Thanks, my winch is on now. Needed the rack because I have kids. Anything else you wanna add?