• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jeweler’s Scale...need advice

JL6.5

PrrrressssBANG
Minuteman
  • Sep 13, 2020
    SoCal Desert
    Hey all. First post here. I’m new to reloading and I’m putting together my reloading “toolbox”. I need help making a decision regarding powder measure.

I own a very accurate A&D
    HR-60 jewelers scale which I may use to load 6.5 Creedmoor for consistency at distance.

My question is should I:

1. Use this scale with a quality micrometer powder measure and pair it with a trickler or...

2. Buy an RCBS Chargemaster lite.

I would really appreciate the help/input guys. Thanks.

If consistency is your goal, the A&D/trickler will give more accurate readings but take more time. If you're willing to trade some accuracy for time, the CM Lite can create good ammo as well.

I had a CM lite. I now use a trickler and AND scale.

Reactions: JL6.5
    So do you solely use a trickler and a scale, or do you use some type of powder measure to do a mass dump and then trickle it up to a precise measurement?

I have a good scale too. I have done the following:
    • ChargeMaster then hand trickler
    • ChargeMaster then one of these Omega battery-powered tricklers
    • AutoTrickler, one of these in the V2 model
    • I also have an original Culver powder measure. Throw main charge with that then the Omega.
    • Throw main charge with Culver then let the AutoTrickler finish.
    In the end, I have the AutoTricklet set up well, it rarely over-throws, it doesn't get tired, and it is the fastest way. It throws a main charge then trickles to the final number. I accept 41.50, 41.52, or 41.54. I never get underthrows. In my case, I am throwing IMR 4064 and each powder grain weighs 0.02 or 0.03 grains. Sometimes the trickler gets to 41.48 then throws more than one powder grains at the same time - my most common overthrow is 41.56. If that happens I pour the charge back into one of the hoppers and throw another. That happens about 1 out of maybe 15 throws. For me, getting the main thrower to be reliable required some time. But now it is good and I don't have to fool with it any more.

The second fastest was hand-throw on the Culver then finish with the autotrickler.

I did not try the Chargemaster and finish with AutoTrickler.

When I used the ChargeMaster, I got consistent dumps and a good workflow but it included me driving the trickler (manual or Omega) and I kept overshooting.

The AutoTrickler is not cheap but if you value consistency and you don't want to deal with your own impatience, it is a good long-term investment.

So do you solely use a trickler and a scale, or do you use some type of powder measure to do a mass dump and then trickle it up to a precise measurement?

I have a pan on the scale, use a lee dipper to scoop and dump 20-30 gn, then trickle up to final weight.

It is not fast, but it is repeatable and precise. I sort of enjoy hand trickling.

I have a pan on the scale, use a lee dipper to scoop and dump 20-30 gn, then trickle up to final weight.

It is not fast, but it is repeatable and precise. I sort of enjoy hand trickling.

I'm not familiar with the HR-60, but it looks like a high-quality scale. I (finally) just ordered an autotrickler V3 to pair with my A&D FX120. For the last (forever) years, I've done a similar process to you, though I use a powder throw for the initial drop to get it close, then I trickle up. That process will suit you very well until:

a) You get tired of it
    b) You get to a reloading volume where it just starts to take too long.

For me, it was a combination. Note that your current process is just as accurate as any other out there, provided you are right on with the scale, it just takes a little longer.

I'm sure there's an autothrow in my future, but I reload because I enjoy it, and I have other hobbies that soak up my cash.

I ditched the CM Lite partially because I actually like tricking and, honestly, if I need the speed of reloading, I can toss the Dillon PM back on and it does just as well as the CM with ball or small extruded powders. I can crank out 350-400 rounds an hour with 8208xbr throws and my rifles couldn't tell the difference.

I ditched the CM Lite partially because I actually like tricking and, honestly,

I actually enjoy the process as well, but my available time is getting shorter and shorter. And if I have to load a couple hundred rounds, it's problematic.

Thanks for all the input so far fellas. Great info and advice.
    I just put in an email to Adam about an AutoTrickler setup for my scale. Waiting to see what he says.

Thought I should also mention...so that I can also load .223 and maybe some pistol rounds I’m also considering:

•RCBS #98910 Competition powder so I can load 223 and pistol rounds too.

•Redding BR30 #03300 Competition measure

This way I can do an undersized charge and trickle up for my 6.5 CM (looking at a Redding or RCBS trickler)

I'm sure there's an autothrow in my future, but I reload because I enjoy it, and I have other hobbies that soak up my cash.

I ditched the CM Lite partially because I actually like tricking

This ⬆️
    Very inline with how I am approaching this. I want to enjoy the process of reloading for acquiring precision, but also know that I need a speedier option for .223

I enjoy process more when powder is there ready and waiting for me automatically when I want it instead of spending my time hunched over a scale tapping out individual sprinkles.

I used to argue for a beam scale but then I started shooting in some sort of quantity. Let the electronics labor instead.

Reactions: 47guy
    I enjoy process more when powder is there ready and waiting for me automatically when I want it instead of spending my time hunched over a scale tapping out individual sprinkles.

And it sort of sucks that now my back starts to hurt after hunching over the scale for about 25 rounds... didn't used to... sigh

Reactions: spife7980
    And it sort of sucks that now my back starts to hurt after hunching over the scale for about 25 rounds... didn't used to... sigh
    Exactly. Having to hunch down table level or build a special shelf just to see if and then still having to expend time and effort actually doing it. Pass.