• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell versus Timney for Remington 700?

Re: Jewell versus Timney for Remington 700?

From the ways things look the best advice is from guys that have owned both and guys that compete. I can say Chevy makes the best truck ever but unless I've driven both how do I know? As far as guys that compete, it's like asking a mechanic what car he drives. Those guys use those triggers they way they were designed to be used. I can set up all comfy and the 100 yard line and shoot all day with any piece of crap trigger and say it has never let me down. It looks like MOST (not all) of the people on here that have owned both vote Timney and MOST (once again, not all) of the guys that get paid to shoot, unlike the majority of us, vote Timney as well. If they are betting their income on a particular brand that's what I'd use. Just my $.02

i have heard people with jewell and timney saying there bolt release broke, that doesnt have anything to do with the actual trigger, the bolt release is made just like the remington release just adapted to the new trigger, i think it may have to do more with improper install unless someone can clarify what is actually breaking, is it the bolt stop lever the spring or the lever mounted to the trigger? i have seen to many people put the front pin in to far and bind up the lever itself which would make the bolt release stick and not work, or not bend the spring the right way on the back of the bolt catch and that will cause almost the same problem

I can only comment of what I have experienced so far.

My Jewell is set at only 8oz, but the break is the best break on any trigger I have owned. So far no accidental firings, and no issues at all. But then again, it's only seen about 200 rounds. And the dirtiest it's ever been was when it picked up some carpet dust while I lowed crawl across the living room with the rifle slung.

My Jewells are problem free at 2500ish and 2000ish rounds each without maintenence each.....

I have no complaints of the Jewell I have.
It is installed to a hunting rifle so it does not see many rounds but it has seen a fair amount of dirt, snow, freeze & thaw.
I have no complaints and it is the crispest trigger I own.

i still say anything but jewell, i would use a factory trigger over a jewell anyday. after the bs jewell pulled with me and the grief of having that trigger i would never recomend one to anyone. anyone that reads this should look past jewell and get a real trigger that they would be happy with, like a tuned remington trigger or a timney, i know there are many other good triggers out there but i just dont have the experience with any others to recomend to you, just stay away from jewell. and if you think that you need a super light trigger to shoot very well think again

The Jewell definitely has the cleanest break of any trigger I have ever shot, but it's not substantially better than my tuned 40x trigger. I would go tuned 40x and save some cash. The Timney seems to be a nice trigger, but I feel like there are way too many threads about people having problems setting them up to function properly without light strikes and excessive bolt lift issues. I have had good luck with Timney for other applications, but I have been hesitant with the R700.

Ok here is my opinion Timney hands down beats anything Remmy puts out , except for the 40x I do love that trigger but finding one is hard as hell, one of my good friends loves his Jewell and it breaks like very lite glass but in the field where I hunt and like to shoot for fun is full of dust, caliche and all kinds of other unknown dirt that is kicked up and my friend and his 300 ultra mag with his Jewell got jammed but on a bench in a controlled environment Jewell hands down, but me I am a Timney guy all the way.

i have a couple timneys, in my ar have had no light strikes and have shot everything from handloads to all sorts of mill primers and they all go bang, as far as a heavy lift from a bolt shouldnt have anything to do with the trigger in a bolt gun

for a r700 it would be hard to beat a timney, have had mine for many miles and have already had to replace firing pin and spring do to light strikes but the trigger still breaks clean and crisp.(rem 700 5r)

Ok this may sound a bit odd but I had no idea what trigers were in my rifle till someone asked my what trigger I liked, well it turns out I have two Jewell trigers and I have never babied them and they have never let me down.

My rifles get used quite a lot in dusty environments and I haven't had one fail, I have had firearms fail just never a trigger issue.

The next rifle I have will more than likely have a Jewell fitted to it.

sometimes i wonder about this, i had a jewell it had creep, sent it back and got it back put back in rifle still had creep, then sent it back to midway and got another jewell, that one also had creep adjusted the sear eng. screw and got the creep to go away but the rifle would slam fire. do all you people with jewells adjust the sear to minimal and get rid of the creep but dont function check it? when i adjusted the jewell i had it set with no creep and it broke like a glass rod but it was not safe do to minimal sear engagment. i really wonder how you people to get them to break so nice, i said f it bought a timney and loved it, now i have many timneys and have saved a bunch of money as oposed to jewell garbage

I have both installed on my weapons and they work great, i just bought a timney and it was about 75.00 less than a Jewell.

bob munden 45lc, we get it you don't like Jewell. Jewell triggers are far from garbage. You had a bad experience with them or you are just a Timney fanboy. My Jewell breaks clean and does not slam fire. I guess you don't know how to properly adjust a trigger and instead blame the trigger. Seems logical. Maybe you can call Surgeon and ask Wade how he does it, because mine work great. When you talk to him tell him he should not be winning all of those matches because his the triggers he uses are pieces of shit.

The fact is all triggers can and will have problems. I use Jewell & Timney and have not had a problem with either yet. Both are used in competition. I live in Oklahoma and the wind constantly blows this red dirt all over my guns. They way just about everyone in this topic has talked about Jewell, I should never be able to take a shot because my Jewell should not work in these conditions. It has never been cleaned and just keeps on working. I prefer it to my Timney.

For bench rest jewel . For rifles that are to be used in field conditions defiantly timney they hold up better to dirt,sand, and gunk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you folks running the Timney's, if you adjust it to 1.5lbs, is it considered safe? I am safe with my firearms, but I read some triggers that are adjusted low can be bumped and go "off." So, I don't know if that's reality, or not...you know the internet.

I'm glad I came across this post...I was just perusing Timney's on another window. I also came across a Shilen...decisions, decisions. </div></div>

Its not as simple as pull weight = safe or not. Bench rest guys have their triggers set ridiculously low, but the gun also goes from unloaded and cased to the bench for firing. They don't carry them around in a tactical field match. I saw one guy DQ at the Hide Cup when he bumped his trigger and shot the ground in front of him. I don't know if it was an equipment issue or a booger hook in the triggerguard issue...but when you have to move with the rifle, handling and unsafe equipment problems tend to stand out.

My Timney is set at right around 2lbs. It adjusts lower, but if you play with it, and I recommend you do, you can adjust it so low that closing the bolt sets it off, or just bumping the bolt will drop the firing pin. If you are going to play with it, go farther than you would and see what it looks like when its not safe so you know what to avoid.

Then set it where you want, and bump the stock, smack the bolt, close it hard, etc, see if you can get it to go off without pulling the trigger. 1.5lbs may be 'safe' in that closing the bolt and bumping the stock doesn't set it off, but it may or may not be safe depending on what you plan to do with it. Make sense?

Timney all the way. Friends have recently switched over from Jewell after they failed on them in the field. Never have had any problems with my Timneys.

I practically live in the desert, blowing sand 365 days a year. I have yet to have a single issue from any of my Jewell triggers. I have tried Timney but prefer the break of the Jewell by a large margin. I install mine straight out of the bag, factory set at 1lb and there is NO creep, ever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Jewell by a large margin. I install mine straight out of the bag, factory set at 1lb and there is NO creep, ever. </div></div>

+1

Paul

JSF you are right, i dont know how to adjust a trigger, i had jewell on the phone multiple times and doing step by step procedures with them, and it is not hard to read directions, seems you dont know how to read directions considering you have wade do your trigger, and why would you spend a bunch off money on a trigger and then pay someone else to tune it? seems logical! or buy something thats cheaper and works from the begining like a timney, breaks crisp and clean with no problems, or worries about dirt. i think thats enough said. try talking sh#@!T to someone else and let me know how that works out for you. you dont know me or anything about me so try and tell me again i dont know how to adjust a trigger, oh wait i dont need to adjust any triggers cause i have triggers that work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virulentus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For bench rest jewel . For rifles that are to be used in field conditions defiantly timney they hold up better to dirt,sand, and gunk. </div></div>
OK,that the <span style="font-weight: bold">ARMY</span> uses...