• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell vs. Shilen Triggers

MrXtreme

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2010
Sweden
Hello!
I have a new "action" LH 700SA clone (Win70 safety on it) on the way in, i wounder what trigger i´ll have mounted on it? Can i have som advice from you out there, best quality, any known issues etc...
I think it´s best to get some real advice from you at your side of the atlantic!!

Best regards
Tommy

Re: Jewell vs. Shilen Triggers

You can't go wrong with a Jewell. I have several and have never had issues with any of them. Also alot of options as far as the safety and bolt release.

Thanks guys!
This will not make my choise hard, Jewell "7-day´s a week"...

Tommy

Another vote for Jewell. A bounus with Jewell is all the adjustments can be done without taking the action out of the stock.

I like my target rifle jewell for sure.

I blanked two primers and rendered my Jewell worthless. It's on the way back from the factory in TX as we speak.

My Shilen on the other hand has had blanked primers & primers totally knocked loose. Still going like a champ.

Save the Jewell for the benchrest match where you can better control it's enviroment. A "tactical, down and dirty" trigger it is not.

I've seen people soft seat their bullets and on a cease fire, dump powder that got into the trigger mechanism and broke the trigger. It was a Jewell. I've personally had no issues with my Jewell nor my Shilen. However, I REALLY love my Kelbly trigger. For competition, it is the best I have ever shot.

Jewell for sure.

Don't worry about it getting dirty. Chances are so slim like these people are talking about.

Shoot the hell out of it.

GG

Jewell i have been using them since 96 and have never had any problems. What i liked the best was when me and my 8 and 12 year old nephews were going hunting i could turn up to 3 pounds on the triggers for them to use, and then back to 1 pound for me we were shooting a 22-250 varmit gun for me and they used it for deer.

I run Jewells on everything and have never had any problems with them. Good choice!

I like Jewell triggers a lot, but I chose not to put one in my tactical rifle. I've heard from BR and tactical guys about how sensitive they can be to dirty and grime, and to ruptured primers. I've seen VERY IMPORTANT people on this forum and who are instructors mention how lots of problems with rifles they see are related to Jewell triggers. I like how they're riveted and easy to put in, and how easily you can adjust them without removal. I still wasn't willing to sacrifice some possible problems for those "nice features". I love how crisp they break, and how they feel.

Now the Shilen I put in my rifle, it came at a great pull weight, which was actually less than what they say the trigger will adjust to. It won't slamfire or misfire, it works great. It did have a bit of creep in it, that I took out without any trouble. I haven't had any reliability issues with my Shilen, or with Jewell triggers for that matter, but from what some people said, I chose to not use them. Maybe some others will chime in here and tell you what they think about Jewell's in tactical rifles. Either way, I really like my Shilen.

Have a Jewell on my 700P and GAP. Love them, no problems so far, but I haven't gotten my guns dirty. That's their known weakness and I'm concerned they won't do well in the field. Having kept them clean, I have no complaints.

Jewel require a little maintenance, the rest don't, so if your lazy get something else, but if you want a kick ass trigger go with a jewel, buy a bottle of naptha or lighter fluid and give it a wash out every so often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I blanked two primers and rendered my Jewell worthless. It's on the way back from the factory in TX as we speak.

My Shilen on the other hand has had blanked primers & primers totally knocked loose. Still going like a champ.

Save the Jewell for the benchrest match where you can better control it's enviroment. A "tactical, down and dirty" trigger it is not. </div></div>

it sounds like the trigger is the least of your problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I blanked two primers and rendered my Jewell worthless. It's on the way back from the factory in TX as we speak.

Save the Jewell for the benchrest match where you can better control it's enviroment. A "tactical, down and dirty" trigger it is not. </div></div>

it sounds like the trigger is the least of your problem </div></div>

No ejector marks. No hard bolt lift. Whats the problem???

I need a trigger that will function in my rifle with real world loads. The Jewell is NOT that trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I blanked two primers and rendered my Jewell worthless. It's on the way back from the factory in TX as we speak.

it sounds like the trigger is the least of your problem </div></div>

No ejector marks. No hard bolt lift. Whats the problem???

I need a trigger that will function in my rifle with real world loads. The Jewell is NOT that trigger.</div></div>

OK we get it, your a "I dont like Jewell because.........." fanboy.

I've had Jewels, they fail if they get dirty. Yes, if you're a "tacticool" bench queen who's rifle never sees the dirt then Jewel may be for you. If you want a trigger that will be used on a rifle that knows what dirt tastes like, get the Shilen

I have multiple Jewells and Shilens. I prefer the Shilen for field work and Jewell for match shooting.

I have never owned a Jewell..
my shilen runs great with zero maintenance and is crisp.....

I did a lot of research about Jewel triggers before I bought mine. Read plenty of posts on how they are unreliable, and what not. I figured it was a lot more forum virus than anything else, and purchased one anyways.
Now, 300 rounds later, my rifle has a Timney in it. The spring that puts pressure on the upper lever that cocks against the sear broke randomly in the Jewel. I might have got the lemon of the bunch (hey it happens), but I wasn't going to waste my time with another one.
The Timney is nowhere near the Jewel's feel, but it's been reliable since. Sorry, never shot a Shilen, but -1 from me on Jewel......

Jason

yea, my "tacticool" bench queens" wear Jewell's. even the ones that get drug into griz infested back country... must not be any dirt around here though.

100_1342Large.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea, my "tacticool" bench queens" wear Jewell's. even the ones that get drug into griz infested back country... must not be any dirt around here though.
</div></div>

Carrying a rifle around the back country does not equate to getting it dirty. Drop it in a pool of mud and sand and shoot prone in the dirt for days on end and then show us how great it is.

Carrying a rifle outside does not mean it is exposed to true dirt and grit. Nice try though...not.

I run a jewel on my TTH, and couldn't be happier. But I do clean it and oil it every time I clean my rifle. (30-40 rounds) Never had a problem.

I own a Jewell trigger- on a Surgeon/APA Build in a AICS 2.0. I have never had one problem with it. It is the finest trigger made, in my humble opinion.

I don't plan on rolling my rifle around in the mud. Unless involved in a military excercise, common sense dictates such.

I wouldnt run a Jewell on a field gun if you paid me to. I cant stand that you have to treat it like a fragile piece of glass or it will go tits up on you....just my .02 cents

Exactly. I wouldn't drive a ferrari through the mud either.