• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing JLK vs Pork'n Swine

H5N1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Has anyone else shot anything with a JLK?

I shot this one this afternoon at 500yds with a 130JLK@2900 fps out of an 6.5x47L.

It looks to me like the bullet flipped over and exited sideways. I've never seen an exit wound like this before. I don't think it expanded at all.

IMG00078.jpg

IMG00080.jpg

Re: JLK vs Pork'n Swine

Might have just been redirected off the skull!!

How many piglets did you pull out off her?

Ejd, there was no reasonable way to get her out. The creeks were too high and steep. So I really don't know how many she had. She did have a bunch of little ones with them.
If member $NHD$ would not have been blocked by cows we would have killed another one.

Hard to tell by the pic but your probably right, the bullet tumbled and exited sideways.

But then again it's a match bullet right? You can't reasonably expect it to have expansion properties of a hunting bullet.

I was thinking it would act similar to the Berger.

People used to say that about the A-Max and the Berger VLD also, they turned out to be a great hunting bullets.

I know I am not the only one who has wondered about these bullets on game. They have the highest BC's out there for most calibers.

Anyone else with experience with JLK's on game please post.

If it did expand it would be a bonus, I'm guessing Jimmy then Swampy had no intentions of it being used on big game and didn't include expansion into the design. It seems like these hogs are a varmint were you are so you have the perfect setup to test them, something you don't want to do on a trophy mulie hunt.
grin.gif

Looks like you took the squeal out of another one, congrats.

The JLK's use the J4 jacket like Berger does but I don’t know if it's the thick jacket or standard. Not sure where they get their jacket material though. If it's the thick jacket that'd explain the performance.

I bet she was packing 8-12 pigs inside. Dead swine is just that..............dead swine, blast away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet she was packing 8-12 pigs inside. Dead swine is just that..............dead swine, blast away.
</div></div>

And 8-12 pigs in a couple months, and 8-12 a few months after that...

Nice shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jmb1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And 8-12 pigs in a couple months, and 8-12 a few months after that...Nice shooting. </div></div>

Yea, like roaches and rabbits
wink.gif

That's right, she had a bunch of little ones with her a few months old I'd say. I'm going to go out there this afternoon and check on them.

Roscoe, I don't know what I'm going to do with the .284 barrel yet. It is supposed to ship to you in May.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CAT5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's right, she had a bunch of little ones with her a few months old I'd say. I'm going to go out there this afternoon and check on them. </div></div>

Bobcats, Coyotes and Badgers will find them, they gotta eat too
wink.gif

I have used several JLK's on big game. I used the 180 7mm's. They do act as a Berger. I'm betting it was coming apart. Once the bullet enters an animal, you cannot predict reliably where it will end up and what path it will take to get there. They destabilize, yaw and all sorts of other good stuff. It looks as though it was expanding by virtue of the inside material now on the outside. What was the reaction? Was it the only shot? Great shot by the way. It looks like spectacular performance to me. The larger the opening on the tip, the faster it will come apart.

nice pig, glad to see the 6.5 bullet blowing through them. It is a rather odd exit, I guess you will have to kill 10 more to compare the exit holes.

Always wondered if anyone ever barbied the embryo piglets, I mean mommas dead and when you field dress, if you do , there they are, just saying. I am gonna give it a run next heavy sow that goes down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always wondered if anyone ever barbied the embryo piglets, I mean mommas dead and when you field dress, if you do , there they are, just saying. I am gonna give it a run next heavy sow that goes down.</div></div>

way too small, not even an appertizer