• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jonsered Chainsaw?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
So looking at getting a saw, dad just traded his Jonsered in and got a new one, was cutting with it today believe its a CS 2153 CWH. It ran sweet, I think it would be the biggest model I would get but I don't have to worry about firewood at the new house, but I would like to have it for around the house (outside) and emergency work as well. Anyone have any thoughts about this, I like the magnesium case but I think its more of a want than a necessity.

Re: Jonsered Chainsaw?

I can't say anything to 'Jonsered'.

But I can say, to Homelite, Poulin, and Shindiawa.

CRAP.

I can also say, after working years in the sawmill and logging industry in northern B.C. that Husqvuarna kicks ass.

Husqvuarna is used prevalently through the mills and companies that I know of. Stihl is a very close second.

This is the realm of 'real' chainsaws, and anything else truly is "consumer grade" and/or 'entry level' stuff. If you wanna just cut some wood, go for the formers. If you really want to cut wood, each and every time, for a long time, then get one of the two latters.

Now the only question is, how serious about cutting wood are you?

I will add this, whatever you buy try to stay away from a box store. A dealer can advise you on a model to fit your needs (consumer/medium/pro) AND clean the carb in a year when it's gummed up from sitting in the shop. I personally own Stihl (MS440, MS192, HT101, FS80, and BG55). Thursday I dropped of the trimmer at the dealer (10 min. away) because the primer bulb wouldn't stay full, Friday I got a call to pick it up fixed, that's service! You won't get that at Lowes, TSC, etc. YMMV.

The Stihl Pro models have the metal case you speak of as well.

I have always used stihl saws. I have five of them now. In my line of business nothing else comes close with the way people treat things. The stihl's just keep running and running. The model we are using now is the ms260 and it runs a 20 bar better than you can ask in a nice light saw.

Walter

Folks have quite a bit of wooded land and I would like to come back once a month and stock them up on wood for the winter seeing how they still use wood stove to heat the house. Heck wood in the area I live goes for like 10 buck an arm full at the stores, plus nice to do small jobs for pocket cash for people around the area as well. From what I understand Jonsered and husqvuarna are basically the same and rumor is that Jon makes Husq's. So looking like every other weekend for cutting sounds like we have it narrowed, thanks for the posts guys. Any thing about stump grinders would be helpful as well, lol.

I bought a Husqvarna 455 Rancher four years ago when we put in a woodstove.

I've been cutting up about 6 cords of firewood each year. For my needs it has been a great saw.

Actually Electrolux owns Jonsered and Husky. Some models of them use interchangable parts. I say go with the Husky. Just brand loyalty on my part as I bought the first of many Huskys in 75.

i cut 7-14 chords 1-2 triaxle loads per year with a Stihl 026 pro for my Harmin stove. I bought it 11yrs ago and lots of chains and on the second or 3rd bar. I use a 18" and it runs!

+1 on buying from your local stihl or Husky dealer. I hear jonsered referred to here as "johnson red" But i wouldn't own one If Stihl or Husky is near by.

funny story last year at the christmas tree farm. wife and i got out of the truck and walked buy a guy in the parling lot with a Poulan chain saw on the tailgate pulling away. I has a folding hand saw in my pocket, got our tree and on the way back he was still "Poulin away". sorry ass SOB in front of everyone, don't be like that!

My father-in-law has about a half-dozen Jonsered chainsaws, and they seem like fine machines. He does a bit of light logging (enough to where him and his cousin both own small skidders), and his saws hold up pretty well to that sort of usage.

For me, a significant factor in this type of purchase would be the availability of local parts and service. Stuff breaks, and I wouldn't want to be stuck driving an hour just to get a small part or maintenance items.

I've spent a good deal of time running a Stihl MS460, MS440, and MS660; it's definitley my first choice among saw makers. Husqvuarna makes a great saw and would be my second choice if I couldn't get a Stihl.

As others have said, it's what you plan on doing with it. For very occassional use get what fits your budget. If you can afford it go to your local stihl dealer and see what model will work best for your application and buy it, you will not regret it.

J-Red and Husky saws are the same thing for the most part, just a different name and different color plastic.

Great saws..

I run a 346 husky and a Dolmar 7900.

The husqvuarnas cut great, but if you ever trigger the chain lock mechanism make sure you re-set it before you try to take off the cover to re-feed the chain. I didnt and I never could get that spring mechanism to reset and get it back into position. I ended up cutting the spring a little shorter to take off some of the tension. Only then could I get it to seat properly. I know, not the safest, but it works. When I get ready to buy another one I will probably look at the stihls because I don't like the way the mechanism is set up on the husqvarnas. Its a 20 inch rancher model.

Stihl farmboss, MS260 or 280. My Dad has a Stihl that is over 25 years old, it would be hard to estimate how many hours it has on it since we heated with wood primarily. Great saws, have had zero problems with mine. I get a lot of use out of the chain by making sure it never touches dirt...and I run the bar oil so that it runs out of gas just before it runs out of oil, in other words as much as it will throw without running out of oil before gas.
I like the cheap table top sharpeners a LOT better than the manual ones.

Careful, NOBODY's going to come back from the dead talking about this subject.

I maintain a pile of Stihl 044, 440, and 460 saws for a fire dept and they are great saws. They are extremely durable and last along time(over 20 years on some of them). I just retired a 038 from 1986!

I also do tree work on the side and have to say hands down I would rather run My Husquavarna all day than the equivelant Stihl. In my opinion the Huskys are lighter, have more power and run crisper.

The old saying is the business owner buys Stihl because they last forever and the guy actually running the saw buys Husky for the power to weight ratio.

You cannot go wrong with either, but to me the biggest factor would be which dealer is closest to you so you can get parts.

The 2153 is the same as the husky 346 in the red and black. It is a pro model saw and should last many years.the best thing to do to it would be buy a non cat muffler for it and retune. It will make it a different saw from what it is with the cat. Pm me if you want to know where to get one with the non cat muffler and stuff setup.

What were you wanting to know about stump grinders? What size stumps you trying to grind? I Have three handle bar units and a big hydraulic rayco. If you can afford one you will not be disappointed with a rayco stump grinder they make the best unit out there.

Walter

My wife used to work for Husqvarna. Several years ago we went to Sweden on a business trip and I got to tour their manufacturing facility. I was really something, they make everything from sewing machines to robotic hovercraft lawn mowers. I watched their quality control guy testing chainsaws, he would randomly go pull a saw off of the production line, fill it with oil and gas and start cutting logs with it. If it failed to do what ever test he put it to, they stopped production until they found out what the problem was. He told me they only had to stop production one time in all the years he worked there. I also toured their firearm museum, that was interesting, they made some really beautiful guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wburke2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What were you wanting to know about stump grinders? What size stumps you trying to grind? I Have three handle bar units and a big hydraulic rayco. If you can afford one you will not be disappointed with a rayco stump grinder they make the best unit out there.

Walter</div></div>

Guess I was just looking for some company info as well as preferred, I had a little experience with the handle bar's a few years back, was kind of a pain for larger stumps I wanted something to do on the side, sort of pay for my new saw and some mad money. Was not looking to tackle anything over a foot diameter. Figured was going to be "that guy," at the new house we are moving into, guess I wanted to be "that guy with the chain saw, and stump grinder that will do some work for you for some cash." The market around here is all about flashy *cough foreigners, just wanted to do this as a hobby here for friends and for the folks on the farm.

BTW thanks all on the info, this is turning out to be a good post, Im glad it has not RISEN FROM THE DEAD, went to the hometown fire hall and seen one of the Poulan saws apart on the ground..... sad that they resorted to that..... needless to say there is a "J-Red" shop near the house and a Stihl, looks like Ill stop in both and compare the two what's the equivalit of the CS 2153 CWH in Stihl, I want to run about 18'' bar and what are the prices y'all come across?

The local dealer told me that Husky, Jonsered, Sears and Homelite are all off the same line and made by the same company with different moldings/colors, with the exception of the flagship/professional saws.
They recommend Echo saws.
Opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Opinions?
</div></div>
Buy a professional saw.

That's what I did.
I just didn't know if what the local guys were saying was 100% accurate.

The jonsered 2153, 2260, 2166, 2172, and 2188 are the "pro" saws. There is no craftsman, poulan, or any other off brand that is a pro built jonsered or husqvarna. A stihl 261 is the same pro saw in the stihl lineup. They are a little higher in my area. Usually a 2153 can be bought for $500 out the door. I don't think you could get a 261 out the door for that little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local dealer told me that Husky, Jonsered, Sears and Homelite are all off the same line and made by the same company with different moldings/colors, with the exception of the flagship/professional saws.
Opinions?
</div></div>RUN!!!

Can't beat a Jonesred for fighting Zombie Nazis in the snow.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yO-3WOtNIYg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yO-3WOtNIYg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I bought a Dolmar 6400 this winter. It's a 64cc engine and I have a 24" bar on it. This saw is made in Germany, now owned by Makita, and has been since the early 1900's. Makita also markets them in their colors.

It's a professional saw and I'm very happy with it. My number one requirement is for a chainsaw to start easily... and it does! Best cutting chainsaw I have ever used
grin.gif

It also depends on what your going to cut. I ran chainsaws in the logging industry for years. If your cutting pine or softwoods, Husky is ok, Id avoid the Jonsreds. If your going to be cutting a lot of hardwood, meaning oak and hickory, you want a Stihl. The Huskys, while smoothe, dont have the low end torque and just wont hold up to cutting large hardwood trees all day, day after day.

Maggot (and many others) is right. And for what it's worth, when I said "the sawmill/logging industry of northern B.C. I actually AM talking about Spruce/Pine/Fir (SPF) which are all softwoods.

I can't say a thing to Maple, Oak, Hickory, Pecan, etc.

One thing I will say though, is to stay away from anything in a box store, geared towards 'camping', and 'uniquely' named.

But hey, that's just me.

Jonsered makes very good, professional grade saws. I have one I bought in 1996 and it is the best chainsaw I have ever used. As stated, Electrolux owns Jonsered, Husky and most other chainsaw brands (or at least the used to).

As for them being made on the same line with different color plastic, that definately was NOT the case when I bought mine. Electolux owned Poulan and only the Poulan saws came out of the Poulan plant. I toured a Poulan plant once and they had the other Electolux brands' saws running along side the Poulans constantly in a test facility, but were not manufacturing the other brands in the plant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pimpgun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Electrolux owns Jonsered and Husky. Some models of them use interchangable parts. I say go with the Husky. Just brand loyalty on my part as I bought the first of many Huskys in 75. </div></div>

They own craftsman as well, er, not OWN but make the craftsman - which is what I have and that thing runs and runs and runs....never had an issue with it.

The 365/372 husky and 2166/2172 jonsereds are nice saws with great power to weight. As far as better than stihl it is probably a saw to saw basis. I've worked on some stihls that have more problems in less time than the husky/jonsered. I've owned 35-40 pro stihl, husky/jonsered, dolmar/makita, and a few older 99cc poulan/pioneers in the past few years. My favorite and most comfortable to run are the husky/jonsereds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The local dealer told me that Husky, Jonsered, Sears and Homelite are all off the same line and made by the same company with different moldings/colors, with the exception of the flagship/professional saws.
Opinions?
</div></div>

You are almost right with the exception of Homelite, which is a competitor of Poulan.

This is(or was) true for the smaller saws that you see in the box stores. They were all made by Poulan with different plastic. The bigger saws are made by their respective companies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stihl farmboss is all you need. get it with a 20in bar and a high chisel chain.
</div></div>
Or a Husqvarna 55. Either will serve you well. If you need a smaller saw, Echo is worth a look.

I've got an old 034 I bought used 12 yrs ago, used it to cut 75-100 cord of firewood a summer for about 5 yrs when I was in high school and college. It still starts up on the second pull even after it sat unused for 3 yrs.

However I do love the torque that the Husqvarna puts out over the Stihl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So looking at getting a saw, dad just traded his Jonsered in and got a new one, was cutting with it today believe its a CS 2153 CWH. It ran sweet, I think it would be the biggest model I would get but I don't have to worry about firewood at the new house, but I would like to have it for around the house (outside) and emergency work as well. Anyone have any thoughts about this, I like the magnesium case but I think its more of a want than a necessity. </div></div>

It is the same as the husqvarna 346xp. Husqvarna and Jonsered and the same saws except for color. The 346xp is probably the best 50cc out there with the Stihl 261 right in there.

Jonsered makes a fine chainsaw, and they have for a very long time. You will not be disappointed. That being said I wouldnt be afraid to go with a Husky or Stihl as well.

I have been cutting firewood for a very long time, and my family has logged for a living. They ran mostly Jonsered and Stihl.

My Dad and I both have Stihl chainsaws (different sizes for different tasks) and we have been very pleased with them.

JONSARED 2166
Had chainsaw for 2 months. My husband used one time. No problem. Went to start it and wouldn't work. Took to have it looked at. Had both a manufactures warranty and an extended warranty. Was told first we didn't mix oil in it. They were not going to cover it. . Funny nothing went wrong with all the other equipment that used the same mixture. And my husband had a landscaping business he can dump a premeasured bottle into a can of gas. When they were told they were wrong it was mixed and done correctly and we did research online and it could be from overheating. Then they said they will not cover overheating. Guess you will come up with every possible excuse not to cover your poorly made items. Piece of SHIT. A $700 chainsaw should first not overheat cutting 4 logs and 2 should last more than 1 use. They said we "overworked it". It is a commercial grade chainsaw. We cut 4 logs. We seriously "overworked" it?? Sucks I have to give it 1 star. Not even worth that

JONSARED 2166
Had chainsaw for 2 months. My husband used one time. No problem. Went to start it and wouldn't work. Took to have it looked at. Had both a manufactures warranty and an extended warranty. Was told first we didn't mix oil in it. They were not going to cover it. . Funny nothing went wrong with all the other equipment that used the same mixture. And my husband had a landscaping business he can dump a premeasured bottle into a can of gas. When they were told they were wrong it was mixed and done correctly and we did research online and it could be from overheating. Then they said they will not cover overheating. Guess you will come up with every possible excuse not to cover your poorly made items. Piece of SHIT. A $700 chainsaw should first not overheat cutting 4 logs and 2 should last more than 1 use. They said we "overworked it". It is a commercial grade chainsaw. We cut 4 logs. We seriously "overworked" it?? Sucks I have to give it 1 star. Not even worth that

That sucks, girl. I would advise giving it the "Lemon treatment." I remember reading about some guy who bought some expensive car, I think it was a Cadillac, and it was a total lemon POS. Dealer wouldnt do anything, GM wouldnt back it up, so he got a video camera, a backhoe, dug a hole and buried the damn thing while filming it. Im pretty sure it was before the You Tube so I seem to remember he sent it to the media. GM or whoever ended up giving him a new one. Id put on a hidden camera and go back and request the warranty work from them, get it on camera, the run over the damn thing with a D4 while filming. Then You Tube it. Maybe it will go viral. Either way all you lose is a worthless, broken, POS.

I've always owned Husky's. Borrowed a Stihl once and liked it better. My next will be a Stihl, but I'm having a hard time wearing this Husky out so I can justify the Stihl.