• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Enterprise Captured Buffer system

x2cross

Joe Dirtè
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 13, 2020
    Mathis, TX
    Is there a reason that nobody talks about the JP captured buffer system anymore? I know it used to be all the rage a couple years ago, but I haven't seen it mentioned for awhile. I have one in a large frame gas gun, and I'm thinking about throwing some upgrades in my 556 as well. Is there a better product on the market?
    5459.jpg

I have one in my JP 223 wylde, that’s the only buffer I’d use in anything these days.

I've had a few. Definitely feels smoother than the spring sliding in an aluminum tube, no twang when shooting suppressed which is nice. Not sure i'd spend the money on a different product. JP is one of the few companies that really impresses me with fit/finish and design.

It may be a quiet subject because it’s a known thing on how good they are. I got one in my AR-15 and one in my AR-10. I love them and I found they made the gun run smoother. I will always use one.

Reactions: RTH1800
    Once I made the switch to the SCS system, I won't ever go back to a regular old spring and buffer. I've got the spring pack and thought about doing some tuning with it in my 3 gun AR, but haven't really found the time to play with it to see how much of a difference it can make. I also run the 9mm AR version in my PCC.

I think it's excellent, have it in two AR15s and one AR10.

If anything I think they've improved on it. Now you can adjust spring rates and buffer weights, they have versions for folders and large platform ARs.

They're pricey but worth it.

Reactions: Trippm
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'll get the ar15 version then too. Just wasn't sure if there is a better version. I've been pleased with my ar10 version. Haven't had to do any tuning, but I think I'll order some weights and springs to see if I can improve what I've got.

You may already have one but they go well with an adjustable gas block. If you don’t have one, then I’d get one.
    I also use the H2 buffer weight.
    Good luck, happy shooting.

To really get the most out of an adjustable gas block and tuning, I'd look at the JP LMOS bolt carrier as well. I run full JP in my 3 gun setup and it all works well and stays super flat with a decent brake.

I run a SCS in my AR15’s but have no experience with one in the AR10 platform and recently got a LWRCI REPR. Is the standard weight AR10 SCS the best one to get for suppressed use in a REPR? I didn’t see any compatibility issues with a REPR noted on JP’s website but if somebody here knows otherwise maybe they can chime in.

It's great, but it's just so dang expensive. My brother has one in a JP 14.5" 9mm that runs like a dream. I'd love to get one for each of my ARs, but I'm not made of money.

Solution looking for a problem, and an expensive solution at that.

I don't think it's necessarily a solution to a problem, but it does give the ability to adjust springs to tune if you want. For me, I appreciate not having the spring sound in my buffer, but that's a personal preference and has nothing to do with performance.

Have mine in my LWRCI REPR MK2 Elite (6.5-CM). It's the only thing that solved my problem where suppressed, and even on the lowest adjustable gas setting ... it was over-gassed and throwing my brass out in front of my shooting position. Got the "Heavy AR10" version, swapped out the last steel weight for a tungsten one, and now it throws the brass perfectly to 4-o'clock. Tried everything ... this was the only buffer solution heavy enough to solve this problem. "Smooth" and "Quiet" are just pleasant side-effects.

Has anyone ever had an issue with the spring wearing out on these? I have two but I keep them in my non-SHTF guns as the spring is so much smaller than a regular carbine spring. I use Geissele Super 42s in my SHTF guns and the “twang” is gone just like the JP SCS. I feel like I get 95% of the advantages of the SCS but also have a larger spring for durability. The InRangeTV What Would Stoner Do rifles also use the SCS and they never mentioned any concerns but it just seems small for the application. Am I crazy?

Not trying to be obtuse, seriously, but is the main advantage of the SCS that you no longer have the sound of the traditional spring in the receiver extension?

I got one of these off a prize table last year and never put it in a gun.

Is there a noticeable calming/smoothing/whatever of the recoil impulse? For instance, is there a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise with the SCS compared to the traditional spring and buffer? Anyone done a head to head comparison with the same rifle/ammo/position set-up and feel like you were able to keep on target better with the SCS?

If it'll help keep me on target after the shot breaks I'll give it a go, but if it's main benefit is just a smoother "feeling" rifle that no longer has the twang I'll probably just sell it off.

Thanks

Not trying to be obtuse, seriously, but is the main advantage of the SCS that you no longer have the sound of the traditional spring in the receiver extension?

Is there a noticeable calming/smoothing/whatever of the recoil impulse? For instance, is there a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise with the SCS compared to the traditional spring and buffer? Anyone done a head to head comparison with the same rifle/ammo/position set-up and feel like you were able to keep on target better with the SCS?

If it'll help keep me on target after the shot breaks I'll give it a go, but if it's main benefit is just a smoother "feeling" rifle that no longer has the twang I'll probably just sell it off.

Thanks
    IMHO ... it's not about recoil or target reacquisition. It's "smooth" and "quiet". I suppose it's possible that recoil management improves ... never really thought about that while I was shooting. I'll have to actually look for that next time I'm out at the range. For me, it was all about getting a buffer heavy enough to properly gas while shooting suppressed.

Thanks

They do have spring packs that you can use to further tune if you want. But for an AR, unless you have a low mass bolt, adjustable gas block, tuning with this probably won't get you a whole lot. For me, personally it's just a nice extra that eliminates spring noise and smoothes out my AR. It's not going to give you any noticeable difference in performance.

My brother's 9mm AR15 runs significantly smoother with the SCS than it did with a heavy standard buffer & spring system. With 9mm blowback operated systems, the recoil impulse is quite a bit different than a direct impingement system, so there's probably some physics about spring rate, compression, and velocity that I don't understand well enough to explain why the SCS runs smoother. I'd say if you have an overgassed barrel or hard-recoiling caliber, the SCS could be a worthwhile upgrade to improve reliability. For most rifles, a standard milspec spring & buffer will suffice.

IMHO ... it's not about recoil or target reacquisition. It's "smooth" and "quiet". I suppose it's possible that recoil management improves ... never really thought about that while I was shooting. I'll have to actually look for that next time I'm out at the range. For me, it was all about getting a buffer heavy enough to properly gas while shooting suppressed.
    Gotcha. Seems like I wouldn't have a need for it then, as I don't have an upper/lower combo having issues at the moment. Guess I'm fortunate that all of my 100% suppressed uppers are able to function properly with just an AGB and standard carbine or Spikes ST-T2 (slightly heavier than an H1) buffer and spring set-up.

They do have spring packs that you can use to further tune if you want. But for an AR, unless you have a low mass bolt, adjustable gas block, tuning with this probably won't get you a whole lot. For me, personally it's just a nice extra that eliminates spring noise and smoothes out my AR. It's not going to give you any noticeable difference in performance.

Rog. All standard BCG parts. Sounds like I'll just post it up in the EE or let it collect dust on the odd chance I run into issues with a new build down the road.

My brother's 9mm AR15 runs significantly smoother with the SCS than it did with a heavy standard buffer & spring system. With 9mm blowback operated systems, the recoil impulse is quite a bit different than a direct impingement system, so there's probably some physics about spring rate, compression, and velocity that I don't understand well enough to explain why the SCS runs smoother. I'd say if you have an overgassed barrel or hard-recoiling caliber, the SCS could be a worthwhile upgrade to improve reliability. For most rifles, a standard milspec spring & buffer will suffice.

That makes a lot of sense. My BB AR9 with an H3 buffer certainly has a more noticeable recoil impulse compared to a standard AR in 5.56. Maybe I'll see if JP would swap my unused AR-15 SCS for an AR9 SCS.

Every rifle I buy I gets a JP Captured Spring automatically.

I didn’t realize how much I hated the spring noise until I got the JP. It came on a parts rifle I thought they were stupid for the price. I’m convinced now

I didn’t realize how much I hated the spring noise until I got the JP. It came on a parts rifle I thought they were stupid for the price. I’m convinced now

This isn't directed towards you, but the JP SCS isn't Just a fucking noise dampener!
    It eliminates carrier tilt, And it's fine tunable for the reciprocating mass and spring rebound rate. Whether you're running a combat style suppressed system or a fine tuned Long range precision rifle It offers nothing but added benefits. to this day I have still never seen any reports of a JP SCS failure, The only thing I ever read about is people not understanding how to adjust them.

This isn't directed towards you, but the JP SCS isn't Just a fucking noise dampener!
    It eliminates carrier tilt, And it's fine tunable for the reciprocating mass and spring rebound rate. Whether you're running a combat style suppressed system or a fine tuned Long range precision rifle It offers nothing but added benefits. to this day I have still never seen any reports of a JP SCS failure, The only thing I ever read about is people not understanding how to adjust them.

For sure. I’m still waiting on my suppressor and the currently +2 gas system on my .22 nosler seems to be tuned pretty well from the factory so I haven’t really messed with it

I have 2 guns with these SCS systems. Yes they quiet down the noise and do make the action feel smoother when racking the gun. I just received a Tubb recoil spring that many have reported will get rid of the spring noise in the buffer tube also.

Figure I will try it for less than 30 bucks before I spring for another one of these SCS systems. Happy with the 2 SCS I have, just wanted to see if I could get 90% of the improvement for 1/5th of the price with the Tubb spring.

Reactions: fanninland
    What were your findings?
    Nothing that most SCS owners want to hear.
    I only tested it in small frame, so maybe in large frame or blowback it shows some advantages that I don't know about.

I tested in two 223 AR's at opposite ends of the operating spectrum. One was a 22" precision type gun with heavy components and hot loads. The other my main 3 gun rifle with ultra light reciprocating mass and primarily using light 55gr loads. Both with thousands of rounds through them and any sproing noise long gone.
    At the time I had almost the full Sprinco range on hand and a variety of buffer weights. The SCS was borrowed and had all the springs of different rates with it.
    The 22" rifle was tested from prone and barricade, looking for movement from POA during firing. The 3G rifle was tested by shooting pairs offhand on paper from 10-40 yards and measuring the dispersion on target.

In both rifles the SCS with X spring rate performed identically to the standard components with the equivalent spring rate. No discernable "smoothness" difference was felt during shooting.
    The SCS owner very reluctantly agreed that the SCS gained him the smooth feel while charging that a well used rifle has, in his brand new rifle.

Nothing that most SCS owners want to hear.
    I only tested it in small frame, so maybe in large frame or blowback it shows some advantages that I don't know about.

I tested in two 223 AR's at opposite ends of the operating spectrum. One was a 22" precision type gun with heavy components and hot loads. The other my main 3 gun rifle with ultra light reciprocating mass and primarily using light 55gr loads. Both with thousands of rounds through them and any sproing noise long gone.
    At the time I had almost the full Sprinco range on hand and a variety of buffer weights. The SCS was borrowed and had all the springs of different rates with it.
    The 22" rifle was tested from prone and barricade, looking for movement from POA during firing. The 3G rifle was tested by shooting pairs offhand on paper from 10-40 yards and measuring the dispersion on target.

In both rifles the SCS with X spring rate performed identically to the standard components with the equivalent spring rate. No discernable "smoothness" difference was felt during shooting.
    The SCS owner very reluctantly agreed that the SCS gained him the smooth feel while charging that a well used rifle has, in his brand new rifle.

Thanks for the observations.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
    Lot cheaper to smooth things out than 1000s of rounds in this climate :)

I've enjoyed mine, I only use SCS now. Shooting suppressed - on 'new' <1k rds rifles, it is much smoother, quieter, and tunable than normal spring and buffer, hasn't mattered what caliber - my 223, 6.5gren, 458socom, 308, 6.5cm, 9mm, 45acp, etc.

I actually need to buy a couple more for some new builds. Biggest problem is finding JP carriers though. I can't find any FMOS anywhere. I see LMOS but the rest of mine are FMOS and I figure keep things the same as much as possible is simpler. Also looking to throw together a 6ARC JP side charger for no reason other than just because and can't find that upper anywhere either. All in due time I guess.

Solution looking for a problem, and an expensive solution at that.
    Yeah, but they're so smoooooooth.....
    I agree they're expensive, but the tunability is really what sets them apart. I have one in all my AR's, as well as an LMT MWS which is super tame now.

Lot cheaper to smooth things out than 1000s of rounds in this climate :)

I've enjoyed mine, I only use SCS now. Shooting suppressed - on 'new' <1k rds rifles, it is much smoother, quieter, and tunable than normal spring and buffer, hasn't mattered what caliber - my 223, 6.5gren, 458socom, 308, 6.5cm, 9mm, 45acp, etc.

I actually need to buy a couple more for some new builds. Biggest problem is finding JP carriers though. I can't find any FMOS anywhere. I see LMOS but the rest of mine are FMOS and I figure keep things the same as much as possible is simpler. Also looking to throw together a 6ARC JP side charger for no reason other than just because and can't find that upper anywhere either. All in due time I guess.
    Love the FMOS. I have two and want two more. The finish is exceptional and they clean up extremely easy. One has over 1000 rounds through it and the carrier shows zero wear on the rails. That QPQ finish is tough yet smooth. I have an LWRC with Nickel Boron coating that is horrible and sticky. Can't be cleaned off and looks like crap. Wish we could get piston carriers from JP.