• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jp enterprises silent capture spring

Campt413

Somebody
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2019
Upstate SC
So I'm building a ar15 pistol 10.5" with carbine length gas system.

I've been hearing good things about the jp silent spring. Will it compromise any reliability and does it make a big enough difference to justify the cost?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20191030_183210680.jpg
    IMG_20191030_183210680.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 70
I use nothing else. They are quiet and smooth. No idea if they increase reliability or accuracy.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure that the only "con" was the price haha. They sound almost too good to be true otherwise.

My favorite upgrade to an AR. I actually think they are more reliable than a standard buffer. For a 10.5" shorty I'd go with spring JPSCS2-15H2 especially if you're thinking about suppressing it (please do).

Reactions: RTH1800
The only "con" I have seen with the JP SCS is that you do not install the buffer retainer, and thus when you open the rifle the JP SCS will typically freely slide forward and hang up on the hammer. Otherwise a great system!

Zero cons in my book

As others have said, only thing that beats a JP silent capture spring is a suppressor. Get the H2 heavy buffer as mentioned and run both.

The JPSCS totally transforms the AR and gets rid of the "twang" and cheek vibrations. My SPR style build is shooting 0.5 MOA with IMI razor core 77grain factory ammo.

The one and only draw back is I do not think they are compatable with the law style folders.

In my eyes I would upgrade the following when upgrading AR's
1. Suppressor (while waiting go down the list)
2. Jp silent capture
3. Trigger
4. Barrel

Reactions: Darqusoull13
I fell in love with my first one. I haven't gone back since. I've probably bought a half dozen since then and still love them. The price doesn't even phase me anymore because I love the performance so much.

Zero cons, except after shooting one, you will want to add them to every present and future AR. Doubly important if you shoot suppressed.

Reactions: RTH1800
I guess I'll be "that guy". The JP SCS is an expensive way to get the broken in feeling in a brand new rifle. If you have a rough buffer tube, dry spring and too much gas you'll have the sproing, but buy decent stuff, lube it, tune it then shoot a few thousand rounds and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and an SCS. If you don't beleive me, just make friends with a guy with multiple well used JP rifles with and without the SCS.

So far I have not found a downside to just smearing grease on a regular recoil spring. Quiets it down nicely. Might require occasionally taking the spring out and wiping out and replacing the grease, but I haven't reached that point yet in thousands of rounds through multiple rifles. A cheap fix if you don't want to go the JP route.

I pulled an AR15 H2 SCS kit off a prize table last weekend and was wondering what the actual advantage is over the traditional spring and buffer combo.

Beyond removing the spring noise, which I don't really notice or mind, what do I get out of it?

Reactions: Stern
Beyond removing the spring noise, which I don't really notice or mind, what do I get out of it?
Weight and spring kits for tuning? I'm told its easier than changing out the regular system but no hands on experience.

It's really not that much easier to tune. I own one and it failed on me during a trip where I ended up with a 7lb paperweight. The JP capture spring got stuck and compressed in my Larue 5.56. I shipped the gun to larue where the replaced the buffer tube and JP inspected the lodged spring and rod. They stated that my buffer tube had an indent inside that caused the jam. So they added a washer to the bottom of the system to alleviate this.

If this taught me one thing, it's to just keep things simple. The JP spring doesn't do much and once if it fails you'll realize not using it is the safer fix.

Reactions: Campt413
That’s all I use. Very reliable and once you start using them it’s hard to ever go back

Seems like you’re a big fan of them. Could you explain your position regarding why you’d never go back to a standard spring and buffer set up?

Very interested to see why those who love them do.

Thanks

Put one in a pistol I just built. Have to agree. Pretty amazed on how quiet it is. Lowers recoil. Just amazed really. Haven't tried one on a standard length ar15. But really might try to see how that is.

Seems like you’re a big fan of them. Could you explain your position regarding why you’d never go back to a standard spring and buffer set up?

Very interested to see why those who love them do.

Thanks

I am a big fan. I started using them in my competition rifle for 3 gun and it went from there. I now have them in most of my ARs including my AR10. Much smoother cycling of the weapon and when I shoot suppressed I don’t hear the spring. Anytime I fire an AR without it now I can’t help but consciously notice the “boing” of the spring. I also don’t have to worry about the spring retainer in the receiver anymore.

Using a standard spring seems so rough and noisy after using one of these. Must have in an AR in my opinion.

A couple members here, (it evades me who) have said that they enjoy the Tubbs flat wire spring, combined with a heavy (or H²/H³) buffer. I do not own a SCS, I think they're a near system, but my springs and buffers have not let me down yet.

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
A couple members here, (it evades me who) have said that they enjoy the Tubbs flat wire spring, combined with a heavy (or H²/H³) buffer. I do not own a SCS, I think they're a near system, but my springs and buffers have not let me down yet.

That's kind of where I'm leaning....if it ain't broke don't fix it.

While the SCS seems like a very cool piece of engineering, I've not heard a valid "benefit" aside from getting rid of the noise of the buffer spring, which doesn't really bug me at this point.

Might toss the one I got off the prize table into my Larue 6.5G this weekend to see what's what, but don't see myself dropping the coin to get every AR15 I own running this set-up.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Fwiw, I've seen a buffer retainer pin lock up an AR. Twice actually.

Let's look at it this way though. A Tubbs flat wire spring is $20-25 dollars. An Odin adjustable buffer is $50. $25 dollars more and you have an SCS. It isnt like it's a huge price difference if you want a SCS. I have a few rifles with and a few without. Personally, I dont care either way.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I handled one at the NRA convention and I was sold. I put it in a 6.5cm build which is a precrifle. Idk about it for an AR15 for the price.

I guess I'll be "that guy". The JP SCS is an expensive way to get the broken in feeling in a brand new rifle. If you have a rough buffer tube, dry spring and too much gas you'll have the sproing, but buy decent stuff, lube it, tune it then shoot a few thousand rounds and you won't be able to tell the difference between it and an SCS. If you don't beleive me, just make friends with a guy with multiple well used JP rifles with and without the SCS.

Agreed, but with a quality buffer tube & a good spring, like Sprinco, well lubed, it really doesn't take long.

JMHO, YMMV.

MM

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I see all the posts about these and it sounds like other than the spring noise, which I don't care about, it doesn't give you anything you can't get from using the correct buffer and spring weights for the given setup?

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
I have a couple of rifles with them, and a few without them. My quietest rifle has a standard spring. But, I like the SCS overall more than the standard set up.

The only "con" I have seen with the JP SCS is that you do not install the buffer retainer, and thus when you open the rifle the JP SCS will typically freely slide forward and hang up on the hammer. Otherwise a great system!
I hate that the scs falls out of the shotgunned rifle without the buffer retainer. It is not mandatory that you remove the buffer retainer- it just makes the scs easier to remove. You can remove it with the retainer in place. Both of my rifles with SCS's have the buffer retainer.

I have a couple of rifles with them, and a few without them. My quietest rifle has a standard spring. But, I like the SCS overall more than the standard set up.

I hate that the scs falls out of the shotgunned rifle without the buffer retainer. It is not mandatory that you remove the buffer retainer- it just makes the scs easier to remove. You can remove it with the retainer in place. Both of my rifles with SCS's have the buffer retainer.

Mine also used to have the buffer retainer installed with SCS, but as you mentioned removing the SCS was a bit of a PITA with the retainer in there. I'm still very happy with the SCS I have.

I've been using Geissele Super 42 springs and buffers in recent builds with great success.

Reactions: Wyzrd
I have a SCS and a standard spring in ARs.

I'll share this story, take it for what its worth. A friend of mine just finished a precision build and was having issues getting lockback and feeding with an AGB and premium parts. After verifying everything else, we swapped his geissle spring kit for my SCS and all of a sudden the rifle worked the way it was supposed to. It sure sold him on one.

That's just 1 case study though.

Personally, I can't stand the sproinnnggng of normal springs so that's a big reason I like the SCS. JP also has a good, and well earned, reputation, so that helps. I haven't noticed anything of mine running smoother or not, but my rifle with the SCS in it started life that way.

Haven’t used an SCS, but I have Tubb springs in all of my guns, and they eliminate the SPROING as well. To @sam4886’s point they are also designed to have less resistance than a standard spring when compressed so that they promote smooth cycling.

Reactions: LeadZeke
I just installed a SCS in my 308 Gas gun today. It's a 24 inch 308 with a rifle length gas system (superlative arms AGB) I'm hoping to take it out to the range tomorrow to tune the gas system with the SCS, but one of the benefits I've heard from a lot of people is that with the SCS the rifle doesn't beat up the brass so much. I've heard a lot of people report brass comes out looking just like their bolt guns. Don't know whether that's true, but I can probably report back soon on brass wear

I have 4 JP SCS and 3 Geissele Supre 42s. I like them both and really appreciate how smooth the JP SCS is. I mainly use the JP on my longer range more accuracy oriented rifles and the Geissele 42s on my hard use SBRs. Cannot go wrong with either one.

Reactions: bunsen27 and Wyzrd
I just installed a SCS in my 308 Gas gun today. It's a 24 inch 308 with a rifle length gas system (superlative arms AGB) I'm hoping to take it out to the range tomorrow to tune the gas system with the SCS, but one of the benefits I've heard from a lot of people is that with the SCS the rifle doesn't beat up the brass so much. I've heard a lot of people report brass comes out looking just like their bolt guns. Don't know whether that's true, but I can probably report back soon on brass wear

This is true, but after (tuning) the JP SCS Heavy builders kit with the correct spring and weights...it doesnt work like that out of the box, at least not for me on 5 different 22" 6.5cm's. I took the spring pack and tungsten weights to the range and tested different combos till I found what worked best. It was the second heaviest spring, yellow.i believe and 2 steel and 2 tungsten I think. Wilm have to.check later

Reactions: Billiam1211
If you object to the cost of the JP system, check out the Armaspec "Stealth" recoil spring system. It's more or less the same idea, and my sample of one seems to work well. It definitely made my suppressed 300 Blk quieter to shoot, although I probably wouldn't notice it on most of my rifles. You can buy them in different weights to match whatever standard buffer weight you prefer.

Yesterday was range day and I got a chance to tune my LR-308 with the Silent Capture H2 buffer. I turned down the gas block to the point where it was just barely locking open with my hand loads. The recoil impulse was noticeably improved. I could never hear the 'sproing' to begin with, BUT with the SCS the recoil didn't knock me way off target like it did with the stock buffer. Under recoil, my reticle would jump 1 MIL up and return right to my POA which let me catch a bunch of trace yesterday.

So far I have not found a downside to just smearing grease on a regular recoil spring. Quiets it down nicely. Might require occasionally taking the spring out and wiping out and replacing the grease, but I haven't reached that point yet in thousands of rounds through multiple rifles. A cheap fix if you don't want to go the JP route.

This is very true. I'm a fan of JP, they are local to me and the guys come out and shoot our local matches. I'm a big fan of their products but when it comes to the SCS, I have to keep it real. I have one and have rifles without it so here is my perspective.

If you want to talk about tuning, sure it gives you great flexibility and no one can deny that benefit. The other reason (as said by a few in this thread) is to reduce spring noise and gain a very smooth feel. It does do this, but for about $.10 you can accomplish the exact same thing with a small dab of bearing grease on your buffer spring. I've had people shoot and cycle the charge handle on two rifles side by side, one has the SCS and one has a small dab of grease on the buffer spring. The result is, no one can tell the difference between the two. If you are buying it just for smoothness, there is a much cheaper option. If you're buying it because JP is a great company and the guys there totally rock, then awesome I love to support great companies like JP. If you're buying it to fine tune, then this may be one of the best options out there.
(y)

So I'm building a ar15 pistol 10.5" with carbine length gas system.

I've been hearing good things about the jp silent spring. Will it compromise any reliability and does it make a big enough difference to justify the cost?

TIA
I am running the scs and the variable mass bcg in mine. I love them. Paired with the adjustable gas block, you have mass and gas adjustability. The guys at JP have been a great resource to chat with as well. Most guys that answer the phone.... and they really do answer, Will nerd out with you on almost any topic! They really love what they do and make an awesome line of products!