• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Questions Again

jpistolero02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2008
Austin, TX
I finally thought I had settled on a load and had this LRP-07 in 6.5 Creedmoor figured out. Get to the range and for the life of me, I can't figure this darn thing out? Obviously it's the Indian and not the arrow. I wouldn't consider myself a great shot, but I have fired numerous tiny little groups with various bolt actions. Has anyone struggled like this and finally had a light go off they would like to share? My load is 43.2 H4350 and the 123 Scenar. I love the rifle, but I am very close to moving on from this thing. Attached, is an example of what I was seeing today.

Attachments

• photo48036.jpg
    photo48036.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 15
We need to know when those flyers are shot, first round, last??? And it would be alot easier to tell if you did 5rd groups.

I recall them actually coming on the first round. There might have been one on the last round. I was shooting suppressed and checked to make sure everything was tight.

I would actually say vertical stringing on a gas 308 is a classic symptom of not loading forward. Pull that pistol grip into your shoulder, lean forward into the bipod, and get your body fully behind the gun. Take the slack out of the system so the gun's got nowhere to go under recoil.

Reactions: ballisticdaddy
Practice more. Watch your fundamentals. There are 3 recoil impulses in a semi-auto. First the ignition, second the BCG traveling backwards, then the BCG traveling forward. It's a whole different animal than the bolt gun.

I have two words for you Eagle Eye, this ammunition is the BEST FACTORY ammo out there period. They just started making 6.5 creedmoor & 260 Remington. I have been shooting this ammo out of both of my JP lrp-07 rifles and this ammo is awesome, I have shot head to head with Federal GMM 168gr & 175gr and I also shot it against ASYM 175gr & Black Hills 168gr and the Eagle Eye ammo beat all of them.

Reactions: holden
Damn, it's probably a "just me" issue, but 43.2 of H4350 under a 123 seems like it would be a very high pressure round for an AR gas system. I do tend to run my loads on the "slower" side of the velocity equation, but I am running 41.7 under a 139 Scenar, and getting 2780 at 2500'. This load out of my LRP 07 (.260) has put several sub half moa groups together.

OP - have you observed at what position your brass is ejecting (1:00, 2:00, etc...)? Have you ran this load with less powder? Are you seating to mag length?

Don't give up on it. It's a JP. The name, itself, creates one hole, single round groups ;) My facetiousness precedes me, of course, but seriously, keep working at it. Have you tried any of the factory Match CM ammo yet?

Hang in there - I've been shooting my JP most weekends and the groups are tightening up to the point where I can tell when it's me.

I think I would check out how it works with quality factory ammo. Make sure your gas system is set up properly. Semi-autos are definitely a different animal than bolt guns but it can be done. It is very rare to see inaccurate and JP in the same sentence. Stick with it...I'm sure you will get better.

That's my charge with a 140 eld-m and this thing is a hammer. I sometimes get flyers on the last round as the bolt locks back, but I know that's not the rifle. I shoot mine suppressed as well.

Give 140s a try using that charge. You're stringing vertically so that is typically a breathing issue.

Have you tried the hornady 140 match factory ammo?

Edit: lastly, if you decide to sell it please PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have tried various seating depths, but mostly mag length. I did get a LaRue mag that would allow me to seat them as long as needed. Most of my ejections have been coming in the 2-3 o'clock range. At that charge I am averaging 2820 at 1025ft elevation. I have shot 130 Prime ammo with decent results. I went ahead and ordered a couple of boxes of Hornady 140ELD to see how those would fare.

The picture below is 43.4 H4350 with 123 Scenar. I just thought it was odd the POI was shifting around as it was, so I went down in charge. I might need to re-visit this load or go down even more to a lower node. I am also including my OCW that I had in a previous thread.

Attachments

• photo48385.jpg
    photo48385.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 11
  • photo48386.jpg
    photo48386.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm using 123 Amax's in .260 out of a LRP-07. I was having accuracy problems and found out that the gas adjustment screw had worked its way out a tiny bit causing the rifle to be over-gassed. Correcting this problem brought the accuracy back. I also started with a new lot of H4350. The new powder increased my average velocity 60 fps and my brass is showing less pressure sign.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried various seating depths, but mostly mag length. I did get a LaRue mag that would allow me to seat them as long as needed. Most of my ejections have been coming in the 2-3 o'clock range. At that charge I am averaging 2820 at 1025ft elevation. I have shot 130 Prime ammo with decent results. I went ahead and ordered a couple of boxes of Hornady 140ELD to see how those would fare.

The picture below is 43.4 H4350 with 123 Scenar. I just thought it was odd the POI was shifting around as it was, so I went down in charge. I might need to re-visit this load or go down even more to a lower node. I am also including my OCW that I had in a previous thread.

Those groups look pretty respectable, but stop Shooting 3rd groups it lease way to many variables open two interpretation where's if you shoot a 5rd groups, it's definitely easier to see if it's you or the rifle and start keeping track of what shot is the flyer consistently coming from if it's not the first or the last then it's definitely your shooting technique..

Check your scope and base too. I have been working on load development for my first large frame AR (308) and was getting erratic 1.5 to 2 MOA groups after some very promising results with factory ammo. After 3 bullets and 2 powders I found my rear scope ring loose. Torqued it down and shot a 3/4" four shot group with a flyer taking it to 1". I can drive a small frame AR pretty good but this 308 will kick my ass if I get just a little sloppy.

I am certainly not married to the 123 Scenar. I was just using them based on the reccomendations of the guys at JP. I will start shooting 5 round groups. I have been doing 3 because most of of my shooting has been for load testing.

For the gas adjustment, once I find the sweet spot of the bolt locking back on the last round or not, should I put some something on that screw to keep it in place?

I am certainly not married to the 123 Scenar. I was just using them based on the reccomendations of the guys at JP. I will start shooting 5 round groups. I have been doing 3 because most of of my shooting has been for load testing.

For the gas adjustment, once I find the sweet spot of the bolt locking back on the last round or not, should I put some something on that screw to keep it in place?

Yeah a little blue Loctite won't hurt..

Blue loctite and don't forget about the set screw on the front of the gas block. After getting the gas dialed in on my .260 the recoil lessened significantly and the brass is ejecting at 4 o'clock.

This is using 140 ELD-M H4350 with charge 42.3. Let me know if you want a few bullets. I will send them to you. I use the Hornady factory COAL.

95B0CDF8-E080-4D66-BD10-A313EA9670FC_zpsbicid70m.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been wanting to try the 123 Scenar's, but I have been reluctant because the 139's have just been so damn accurate and easy to load for.

Some have hypothesized that the way the first round is loaded, manually, causes it to fly differently than subsequent rounds. If your first shot is a consistent flyer, I would keep this in mind.

Is it the complete factory rifle? Did you change the muzzle device? Did you use a crush washer? Just something to think about. I know that my JP was blended from the factory and I've read in other forums that the crush washers / shims can sometimes have POI shifts. Just a left field thought.