• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

JUNE 2010 SH 100 TO 300 YD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

It doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

RULES: SH RIMFIRE 100 TO 300 YARD COMPETITION RULES

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH LONG RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

PREVIOUS MATCH SCORES:

MAY 2010 scores

April 2010 scores

March 2010 scores

February 2010 Scores

January 2010 scores

2009 SH RIMFIRE 100 TO 300 YARD COMP SCORES

learnings from rimfire comp thread

Re: JUNE 2010 SH 100 TO 300 YD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Just had to say it here cause I just now saw it in the May scores. Damnnnnnn Carter! That's just what I expected, and I'm in big trouble lol. It's just a matter of time and you'll get the 25X!

Thanks, SBS. There is something in my form that needs to be corrected, because, as usual, I am seeing 6 o'clock fliers. I have been blaming that on ammo issues, but I am seeing the exact same issue with 17HMR and 22LR. That is no ammo issue, that is me stubbornly refusing to admit that the problem is the Indian (nice arrows help, though). I really need to work on breathing. I find myself holding my breath from time to time. Old habits are hard to break. Holding your breath gives you the illusion of stability, but the tension in your diaphragm disrupts NPA. The funny thing is that the same thing is true of a rear bag vs. using your fist. I shake a lot more using my fist as rear support, but I have found that I am just as accurate using both methods, and in fact, my recoild indicates I sustain better NPA using my fist. The reticle finishes dead on target after recoil.

My scores were better than average last month because I was able to make it down to the ranch again... so a 100 yard range as opposed to 110. Plus, because I could shoot at dawn, the wind was just dead (more for the 22LR than the 17HMR). I don't know if I will make it out to the ranch again this month. But I am thinking my 200 yard scores will rock if 17HMR handles 200 better than 22LR (which it should).

Stay tuned.

name- Rthur
class- scope
rifle- 93r17
caliber-17
match- 100yd-25rdp
score 25 of 25
The different glass seems to be helping! good luck this month R

Name: Carter Mayfield
Class: Scope
Rifle: Remington 40X
Caliber: 22 LR
Ammo: Eley Tenex
Match: 200YP A-21
Score: 247 - 12X!

Front
06031022LR200T1v1rs.jpg

Back
06031022LR200T1v2rs.jpg

Well, guys, if I did not shoot this myself, I wouldn't believe it. I would think that someone were mistaken and shooting this from 150 yards. But nope... this is off the charts good... and shot at 215 yards to boot (my 100 yarders have been good because I have been shooting them at 100 as opposed to the usual 110). I beat my previous X-count record by one X, and that was with 30 shots, not 25!

I was lucky that my one big flier clipped the 9-ring. Also, I have a shot at around 8 o'clock that looks like it is in the nine ring, but I measured it with a 22-cal marker, and, sure enough, it clipped the 10-ring. I used Kabong's trick of shooting the back of the target with a 1" fluorescent dot, and that helped tremendously. I was able to adjust a bit based on where the shots were landing. Before that, it was just shoot and pray that I had the gun zeroed correctly and my wind reads were about right.

I am pretty jazzed right now because the 17HMR was the best 100 yard target that I ever shot. I followed it with my 22LR, which was even better than the 17, then today I shot the best 200 yarder I ever shot! Tempting fate, I went ahead and put another 25 down range to see if I could top this (I didn't think I could come close). Nope. It was a respectable 240-3X. No magic. I was rushing because I was shooting on my lunch break and time was pretty much up.

So what has changed? What is my secret? Number one... perfect conditions. I am not going to lie. Wind was dead and temps were in the mid-70's. I was drenched in sweat b/c of the high humidity, but my ammo likes those temps. Interestingly, this was a lot of Tenex ammo that I determined my gun didn't like a while back. The same lot shot my best ever 100 yard score last week, so the ammo sure isn't the problem! Number 2 is my bipod. I converted over to an Atlas. I love it. It is lighter than the Harris, I can pan with it. It has a more usable range than my Harris, which is just darned high for prone, even on the lowest setting. BUT I am thinking that the lack of flexibility in the Harris forces the rifle to recoil more squarely. Basically, because the Harris doesn't pan, the bipod is square to the rifle, the rifle is square to the target, and my body is square to the target. When I shoot with the Atlas, the legs can be cocked a little. The gun lets me. My NPA is alright. But the recoil is just a little sloppier. Just a thought. I don't mean to slam the Atlas. I will still use it for hunting as so forth, but for targets, it might not be ideal. I think the best for targets is the Sinclair Bipod. Now that I know what a difference a bipod can make, I might have to spring for one. Practical? Well, for F-class style shooting, maybe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, SBS. There is something in my form that needs to be corrected, because, as usual, I am seeing 6 o'clock fliers. I have been blaming that on ammo issues, but I am seeing the exact same issue with 17HMR and 22LR. That is no ammo issue, that is me stubbornly refusing to admit that the problem is the Indian (nice arrows help, though). I really need to work on breathing. I find myself holding my breath from time to time. Old habits are hard to break. Holding your breath gives you the illusion of stability, but the tension in your diaphragm disrupts NPA. The funny thing is that the same thing is true of a rear bag vs. using your fist. I shake a lot more using my fist as rear support, but I have found that I am just as accurate using both methods, and in fact, my recoild indicates I sustain better NPA using my fist. The reticle finishes dead on target after recoil.

My scores were better than average last month because I was able to make it down to the ranch again... so a 100 yard range as opposed to 110. Plus, because I could shoot at dawn, the wind was just dead (more for the 22LR than the 17HMR). I don't know if I will make it out to the ranch again this month. But I am thinking my 200 yard scores will rock if 17HMR handles 200 better than 22LR (which it should).

Stay tuned. </div></div>

It's a 100 yard beast! I always say that there could be a hurricane and I'll still be dead on at 100. 200 is definitely touchy. Either you have to go on a perfect day like you were saying, or leave your turret dust caps off cause you'll need to use them. As for the fliers at 6, the only thing I could really think of equipment wise is the barrel temp. If mine gets too warm it'll head south. I've been told that since the .17 HMR has such a high velocity, that I should basically treat it like a centerfire. I use my fist also. I've found that I can take a little shake away by resting the top curve of the butt of the stock very very lightly on top of my shoulder. As for breathing, personally I fire on a very slow exhale.

Oh yeah, and flipping the target is how I've always competed. I flip it over and just make a circle on the X ring. Aim small miss small!

Name Clodhopper
Match 100YP TQ-4
Class Scope
Rifle 10-22
Caliber 22 Lr
Ammo CCI Blazers

Dominate side score 241 6X
Support side score 235-5X
Fired rapid fire.
The offside shooting is tough, but good for the soul.
Still need to remove some more of the comb

Name: SmallBoreSniper
Class: Scope - 15X
Rifle: Marlin 917VR
Caliber: .17 HMR
Match: 100YB-25RDB
Score: 25 of 25

Had one that barely touched the inside border but pretty much nailed the rest. Woohoo!

Name: Carter Mayfield
Rifle: Anschutz 1517
Caliber: 17 HMR
Ammo: Hornady V-Max
Score: 248-13X

Well, I finally got my 17HMR to 200. Wow! The score was only slightly better than my 200 score with my 22LR this round, but as you can see, the shot dispersion is much tighter. Further, I was shooting in almost a dead calm with my 22, while I was shooting in 10 - 15 mph wind with the 17. A 5 mph wind shift at 200 mph is good for a full mil and a half with my 22LR. With my 17, that kind of a shift was worth .2 or .3 mils. That is nothing.

So it definitely appears that for 200 yards, the 17HMR far exceeds the 22LR. At 100 yards, a well-smithed 22LR with Eley Match ammo or better can match or beat the 17HMR in light wind conditions. In heavy winds, the 17HMR wins at 100 yards.

The next step is to see if the 17HMR can match or beat my 22LR with Eley ammo at 50 yards. I am thinking that the 22LR will win in low to moderate winds just based on the higher quality of the ammo.

Front
06111017HMR200T1v1rs.jpg

Back
06111017HMR200T1v2.jpg

BTW - as a quick note, the mark high, 12 o'clock is a tear in the target, not a bullet hole. You can kind of see that in the shot from the back.

^ Nice shootin Carter! You'll have fun at 50 too. With a bag I can peg a dime all day. It's like shooting a laser.

TEMP 77 DEG F, LESS THAN 5MPH WIND, LOW HUMIDITY, SUNNY

conditions were near perfect, i let this one get away with some seriously blown shots...

100 yards

Name: TOP PREDATOR
Rifle: Savage MKII BV
Ammo: Aguila Golden Eagle match rifle
Match: 100YP TQ-4
Score: 242 - 13X

Match: 100YP 235RDp
Score: 20 of 25

june2010100yards.jpg

200 yards

Score: 236 - 5X

Match: 200YP 5RDP
Score: 16 of 25

june2010200yards.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i let this one get away with some seriously blown shots...
</div></div>

Eh, maybe the 200 yard. I consider anything in the 20's for the 100 yard gong pretty damn good enough for me.

Ok Guys, I just shot the 100YP target but when I went to try and score it there is some hits that is questionable as if I broke the X ring or not. Here is the target. For sure 7 are definite 10 and 9 ring hits. I liked shooting at the target backwards as it was less distracting to just aim for a black dot.

100YP.jpg

Name: Jr_V
Class: Scope Falcon 4-14FFP
Rifle: Sako Quad Trainer
Ammo: SK Standard
Match: 100YP TQ-4
Score: 249 18X
Weather: wind 3-5mph from left to right. 75 degrees, humid

I would call it 18-X.
There is six clearly out of the X ring, the one at five oclock looks like a tear into the X.
Nice shooting

Wow! you and the Sako really rock!

I tried some of the SK but my model five really has trouble with extracting the SK and Wolf ammo.

I finally got out to shoot targets for the June SHIMM on Monday. Work and home life got really busy the last couple of months and I have been lucky to get out at all. Weather was typical for the high desert in June - hot and dry with light but variable wind. It went from calm to 3-5 mph; then 5-7 mph and changed directions between the firing line and the 200 yard target.

Name: El_Kabong
Class: Scope (Tasco Varmint)
Rifle: Remington Model Five
Caliber: .22 LR
Ammo: Remington Subsonic
Match: 100 YP TQ4
Score: 239 – 4X

Ammo: Eley
Match: 200 YP A21
Score: 237 – 4X

Ammo: Eley
Match: 250 YP – 8RDP
Score: 12/25

At 250 yards I could not see the holes in the paper, and did not make the proper adjustments as the wind shifted. All of the shots were OK for elevation, but the group as a whole centered about 4 inches to the right, or at the edge of the gong. I will try to get some steel for the next time; I think the splash will be visible to help with adjustments. I am not sure if I have enough adjustment to get to 300 yards – hope to find out soon!

Ok here my scores for June. All I can say is it really shows when you don't get to practice much. With the move, work, and the crappy weather this was only the 4th time I have shot in 8 weeks. ok enough excuses here it is.

Name: Neoshooter
Class: Scope(24X)
Rifle: Savage TR
Ammo: CCI Std Vel.
Match: 100 YP TQ4
Score: 248-16X not sure of the 2:30 shot on pic 2. I don't have a 22 scoring gauge so I'm not counting it.

Name: Neoshooter
Class: Scope(24X)
Rifle: Savage TR
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: CCI Std Vel.
Match: 100YB-25RDB
Score: 25 of 25
June2.jpg

June1.jpg

looks a bit like 16x

1st target 5 in ten ring, 1 in 9 ring
2nd target 2 in ten ring, 1 in 9 ring

9 shots off the x, = 16x

i'm posting up results next post, if i'm wrong i'll change it.
does everyone concur with 16?

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">JUNE 2010 SCORES</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB 25RDP</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.17HMR CAL. S CLASS</span>

1. SMALLBORE SNIPER.......25 OF 25

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR CAL. S CLASS</span>

1. NEOSHOOTER............. 25 OF 25

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP 25RDP</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.17HMR CAL. S CLASS</span>

1. RTHUR.....................25 OF 25

1. TOP PREDATOR..........20 OF 25

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP TQ-4</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.22LR SUPPORT SIDE S CLASS</span>

1. CLOD HOPPER..............235 - 5X

1. JR. V.........................249 - 18X
grin.gif

2. NEOSHOOTER...............248 - 16X
3. TOP PREDATOR.............242 - 13X
4. CLODHOPPER...............241 - 6X
5. EL KABONG..................239 - 4X

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP A-21</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">.17HMR S CLASS</span>

1. CARTER MAYFIELD..........248 - 13X

1. CARTER MAYFIELD.........247 - 12X
grin.gif

2. EL KABONG..................237 - 4X
3. TOP PREDATOR.............236 - 5X

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP 5RDP</span>

1. TOP PREDATOR........16 OF 25

<span style="color: #FF0000">250YP 8RDP</span>

1. EL KABONG...........12 OF 25

Thanks to all that participated this month, and your input in the learnings thread. Looking at the different styles of rifles and ammos being used both in the long range and short range matches and the tips and tricks shared, it's turning out to be a good source of information. Thanks to JOE MARTIN for starting it last year.

Looks as though many went prone this month at 100 yards, JR V being the highest scorer, with only 10 points seperating the 5 shooters that participated. CLODHOPPER gave it a whirl support side, and put up a respectable score even shooting "backwards".

CARTER MAYFIELD showed us mercy @ 100 without posting a score, however came back to be the top shooter in 200 yard prone with the .22, and his .17 score was quite nice also.

EL KABONG went further out to 250 with the 8" gong, which i believe is the first to do so.

With the next competition in July, and being the month that marks our Independence, we should give thought and thanks that we can do what we do, and to those that have fought, died, and are still in harm's way to protect our freedom. <span style="color: #FF0000">Happy</span> <span style="color: #FFFFFF">Birthday</span> <span style="color: #3366FF">America</span>!